It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2009, 10:43 PM   #1
(female)

hurts2walk HB User
Boot Rant

Well it is 12:30am and as usual I cannot sleep and I am mostly mad at the dang boot!

I am 6 weeks post op today and I have had it with this heavy, bulky, pain in the bleep thing. Has anyone ever weighed their boot? It is getting heavier each day it seems. I cannot get comfortable in any of my sleeping positions lately and it is driving me crazy!

For my last surgery I had an aircast and I thought that was heavy.....and I also had it 2 less weeks than this one so this is getting old. I have the black to the knee one with a million or so velcro straps this time.

I know it is better than a plaster cast but I just had to rant to those who understand. I am going through a little bit of crazy depression at this point. I am off the heavy meds but still have pain and soreness. I have 2 weeks to go until that hopeful word from the doc..."walk". Then I will have a whole new set of complaints I guess!

Old 05-26-2009, 11:12 PM   #2
(female)

WorldWalker HB User
Re: Boot Rant

I'm a free mind this summer so I will spend some time thinking of ways to stay cool with the boot! Hm.. Velcro. That's the one I thought they were gonna give me. (I like the color better than the air cast) But they didn't. My only idea for the time being is buy some VS pink lightweight pjs. And maybe the light fabric will make the hassle of the boot less frustrating? You could stick a ice pack to compress between your leg and boot. As for sleeping, try putting two pillows between your legs if you sleep sideways. Take two and call me in the morning -insert laughter here- I used to take a max dose of pain killers before bed and that seemed to help. Let me know if any of the ideas help you or if I should come up with more.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2009, 06:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

It weighs about 3.5 pounds. I used to do leg lifts with mine.

Hang in there!

Old 05-27-2009, 08:49 AM   #4
(female)

monster bunion HB User

After two foot surgeries, I have two ugly black boots, and I may use them this year to hang over the fireplace for Christmas stockings. Hang in there.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:42 AM   #5
(female)

Dotty00 HB User

I would be delighted to have a boot right now. I just got my cast on and I am climbing the walls. I don't think I can stand this much longer......this thing has to come off.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:44 PM   #6
(female)

Tracie1204 HB User

Hang in there hurts2walk!!!!! I know the boot is frustrating----I have been in mine for 6 weeks----and he told me today to just consider it my best friend right now------I know its upsetting----but do try the 2 pillows between your legs, it does help some---but I know finding that comfortable position is about NILL!!!! Just vent away here----we all understand!!!
Hang in there Dotty---I know the cast is frustrating----but it does get better. Have you tried the ice behind your knee (if you feel its swelling)? Just remember----toes above your nose!!!!!

Hang in there everyone!!!!

Old 05-27-2009, 04:12 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

Oh Hurts, I feel for you. Take the meds before bed or you could try a 1 benadril it helps get you to sleep. I hate to admit it but I own both the ugly grey air boot and the one you are wearing. I like the black one much better. This may sound a little wacky but there was a point not to long ago I wanted the sutpid boot back on. Ya you can get attached, or should say its a comfort zone. It's now tucked away up in the closet to which the spiders can have it. Hang in there..........

Old 05-27-2009, 07:44 PM   #8
(female)

hurts2walk HB User

Thanks all......and I LOVE the idea about hanging the boots on the fireplace for Santa.....then after the holiday I will BURN them!

Dotty....yes I feel bad for complaining when others have a cast but I just had to rant in the middle of the night to someone!

Tonight I am getting drugged up for some sleep......I won't care what position that big freaky foot/boot is in.......

Old 05-28-2009, 05:14 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

the boot is nothing compared to a cast. thank goodness for its support!

Old 05-28-2009, 10:39 PM   #10
(female)

aed2113 HB User

You can make it!!!!!!!! Honestly I prefer the cast to the boots...at least it's molded (somewhat) to the leg...the boot would just sit there and was so bulky. I've gone through four of them now and even though they make it easier to walk I suppose I so feel what you are going through!!!!! The ice under the knee helps a lot though, especially at night. Sometimes I even wrap the boot in an ace wrap because the velcro and metal were always so uncomfortable and would scratch up my other leg. You're so close though you can make it!!!

Old 05-29-2009, 09:56 AM   #11
(female)

WorldWalker HB User

Actually think of it this way. This is round 2. You've only got 2 legs and good surgeons. This is the last encounter with the boot! Maybe knowing that makes you antsy about having it on,but it is a triumph because you're finishing the recovery marathon to better legs! I hope my ideas from earlier helped.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:42 PM   #12
(female)

MsTammy HB User

Have you asked your doctor if you can sleep at night without it? I was allowed to take it off from day one as long as I was on the couch or in bed. As soon as I even planned to get up, I had to put it back on. Like everyone else, I HATED that thing and it did seem to get heavier as time went on, but at least I knew that I could take it off as soon as my butt was planted with that foot up. Since you're so far out post-op and your foot has had a good jump start in the healing process, maybe your doctor would consider allowing you to take it off at least while in bed. As I said, it's not as joyful as burning the thing but think of how wonderful it'll feel to have it off even for a few hours! It couldn't hurt to call and ask!

Old 05-29-2009, 10:23 PM   #13
(male)

malldad HB User

Oh this is a thread I can relate to....first I had ORIF for a calcaneus fracture. For those of you that do not know they slice your foot from about the mid point of your foot about a half inch above your sole to a point just past your ankle and up to just past the top of your ankle bone. It is basically a big "L" cut. I was in plaster splints until the stitches came out which rubbed the incision until the pain made me nuts, stitches came out at three weeks and I was put in a fiberglass cast which lasted 5 days...HURT LIKE YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE on ankle bone, back in plaster splint for two days...then doc gave up and put me in black boot. I "thought" I would be in heaven BUT the sadistic s.o.b. that designed the boot put the metal bar in just the right place to put pressure on the ankle bone as well as the area just behind the ankle in the exact spot the incision is... WHAT A GREAT DESIGN! It is 2009 and I have to believe a better boot can be designed. I can remove the boot when I am resting or sleeping with the foot elevated which is nice. In about 2 1/2 weeks I will begin weight bearing and I have to use the boot to walk. OMG I can not even fathom the pain that the bar is going to cause... May God help me and all of you that "got the boot..."

Chris

Last edited by malldad; 05-29-2009 at 10:24 PM.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:15 AM   #14
(female)

shelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB User

there are hundreds of kinds of boots...never seen one with metal. that sucks, sorry you are very uncomfy. my boots have been god sent---couldn't function without them. at night, loosen up the straps / wrap but still keep your foot in the boot. still supported...but not constricting.

shelley

Old 05-31-2009, 07:57 PM   #15
(female)

hurts2walk HB User

MsTammy: My doc said I had to sleep with the boot....and I am too chicken to defy that. I have visions of waking in the middle of the night and "forgetting" that I had this surgery (haha right?) and getting up and walking without the boot! But I have been taking a sleep aid so things are better. And malldad I have the metal bars on my big black boot too........but it does not hurt my surgery foot at all....just hurts like crazy when I bump the other foot!

Closed Thread