It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
(female)

specktator HB User
Did I rip my stitches? Stumble post op, flat foot correction and bunionectomy

Hello,

I am 13 days post op. My heel was moved over, some tendons fused in the ankle, and a bunionectomy all at once. I believe I have three screws and a plate all together. I was in a splint for the first week and have now been in a fiberglass cast for six days.

Last night I stumbled and put weight on the cast. I don't think I messed up the fusions or anything because none of that hurts, but I think I may have pulled the stitches in the heel and ankle. Has this ever happened to anyone?
I now have burning where the stitches are, and I think I may be bleeding a little, but I cannot tell because of the cast. I doubt I ripped out the stitches - I imagine that would be extremely painful. On the other hand, I see alot of people on the board are unfortunately in a lot of pain after similar surgeries and until now, this really has not hurt, so maybe I just have a high pain threshold?

I know if I call the doctor I will need to go there but I am having a very hard time on crutches. I think it's likely I will fall if I try to trek to the doctors office. The cast is to come off next week anyway. Am I being foolish by not going to the doctor? Is it possible that in one week the bones/tendons/ligaments will heal enough that I am making matters worse for myself? How bad is it if I did pull or rip the stitches and wait one week to see the doctor?

Sorry for rambling, any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited by specktator; 05-27-2009 at 02:03 PM. Reason: typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
(female)

Tracie1204 HB User
Re: Did I rip my stitches? Stumble post op, flat foot correction and bunionectomy

I took a little fall---well not a little one, I slammed my foot onto a concrete stoop about 4 weeks post op---and I called my doctor that nite and I did have to see him the next day.

I would have to say maybe you should call the doctor and just ask if they think you need to be seen----thats just my opinion. But you never know----maybe better to be safe than sorry??

I hope you get to feeling better---I know the crutches are hard. Hang in there and let us know what you decide to do.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:58 PM   #3
(female)

hurts2walk HB User
Re: Did I rip my stitches? Stumble post op, flat foot correction and bunionectomy

If the crutches are hard for you....try a walker? It could drive you crazy to worry so it may be better to call the doc.

Closed Thread