It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
(female)

ggola HB User
NWB cheating

I feel like I am a bad patient. I have my first cast replaced on June 1st. I'm suppose to be NWB but I find myself cheating. My house is not handicap friendly. I have taken many step with and without my crutches. I have not had pain while cheating but, when I do feel a twinge I return to being a good patient. Has anyone else cheated while they were NWB?

Old 05-27-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
(female)

Tracie1204 HB User
Re: NWB cheating

EEEEKKKK!!!!! Oh no, I do not know that that is such a great idea, friend!!!! What did you have done exactly???? And how far post op are you??? I would say it all depends on what you had done---But I am thinking this is a very bad decision!!! I was told emphatically that if I walked, I would immediatey be back in surgery---now, I had some major stuff done too---and my doctor was concerned more about the delicate nature of everything as far as the tendons------but I was terrified to even think about walking on it.

I dont want to sound mean--I am sure there are others that agree----give us a few more details if you can. I know its SOOO hard to be NWB---but hang in there---YOU can DO it!!!!! I know its oh so frustrating of a process------but in order to get rid of the pain you have probably been dealing with, itis so necessary!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2009, 05:39 PM   #3
(female)

ggola HB User

I had my left PPT repaired and in the process my arch was recreated with the help of 6 pins and two plates to my first metatarsal and my heel. I also had a cyst removed from the anterior side of my ankle with a prosthetic part put in to help hold my ankle in the correct position. I know that I should go at it 100% but I can hear the voices of past PT telling me to stop if you feel pain. I'll confess at my next appointment.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

When you get to the PT stage, then you are actually ready to carefully start doing things again. While you are still in the cast, the repairs are new and fragile.

Stay off it. The last thing you want is for the surgery to have a bad outcome.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
(female)

ggola HB User

You are right about that. I will stop cheating. I don't want to go through that again. EVER.

The Following User Says Thank You to ggola For This Useful Post:
Hurtfoot (10-15-2011)
Old 05-27-2009, 07:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

no cheating ever. you are healing.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:22 PM   #7
(female)

WorldWalker HB User

I looked at it like this: they've done a surgery and this is healing time because its like building something and holding it together with cement so it'll be sturdy. While my leg is healing it isn't sturdy enough because everything is placed but not healed. If I put any weight it'll heal perhaps slightly off from what my doctor intended.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:54 PM   #8
(female)

hurts2walk HB User

I could never "cheat"...I feel nervous enough on the crutches that I may stumble and put weight on it......glad to see we all made you feel guilty and you will be stopping!

Old 05-27-2009, 08:42 PM   #9
(female)

ggola HB User

I am definitely ridden with guilt. It was just that after I had fallen and the numerous near falls, stopped only by a hard placement of my surgical foot, I told my doctor and he seemed to feel like everything was normal. It is just hard since I am not experiencing continuous pain. Don't worry I have stopped cheating. I just hope I haven't screwed it up or slowed the healing process down.

Thanks for straighting me out.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #10
(female)

ggola HB User

I had my Dr's appointment today and now know the consequences of my walking to early. My bones have not had the time needed to heal in just 6 weeks. My heel has slightly shifted. The shifted did not cause damage. My Dr described it as a hard-boiled egg. He cut through my heel to realign and recreate my arch. Right now the hard part of my heel is still touching the opposite hard part. BUT if I continue to walk before the bone has a chance to fuse together, it could shift to the soft part that is exposed. He said that would not be good. Needless to say, I have learned a hard lesson.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:34 PM   #11
(female)

hurts2walk HB User

Too bad you had to learn "the hard way". You are now our official spokesperson for all the newbies that arrive here and question the NWB time line! Sorry for your not so great news today..........take it easy.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:47 PM   #12
(female)

scribytoo HB User

And it's good you found out before things went too far. I have had two friends who "cheated" and both had to have surgeries redone. It scared me enough to keep me totally nwb throughout the 12 weeks needed for my TA to heal.
Hang in there. I had a few of those falling steps onto my foot and scared the heck out of myself!
Linda

Old 06-01-2009, 08:11 PM   #13
(female)

WorldWalker HB User

I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope that the rest of your recovery goes better. I took a One a Day pill to make sure I got enough calcium to help with the bone healing. I know its rough but I hope someone can pamper you just a little so you don't feel like you did when you "Cheated" It is a temporary perk that's worth it. Get well soon

Old 06-02-2009, 07:53 PM   #14
(female)

ggola HB User

I don't mind at all being the spokesperson for the newbies and the questions about NWB or anyone else who is running short on patience. Thank you for your kind words and concerns. This Taurus has stopped being hardheaded....for now. )

Closed Thread