It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2009, 09:00 AM   #1
(female)

Chipper92 HB User
What would you do?

Hi Everyone,

I had bunions removed and second meta bones shortened in both feet back in the 70's. Over the last 5 yrs my feet have gotten very painful. I have seen 2 doctors; one is an foot/ankle ortopedic--highly recommended. This surgeon said i have a morton's neuroma, something equivilant to carpal tunnel syndrom, and that the old hardware needs to come out. He would be my first choice but the drive to his office is awful, city/congestion/highway/etc.

Tuesday I saw a podiatrist who said that all of the surgery that i had done in the 70's is now undone. He would need to rebreak the large bone on the outside of the foot, shorten the second metatarsal again, add screws and a steel plate and remove the hardware from the old surgery, but said it was very fixable.

I asked the podiatrist if i had a neuroma, he said he didn't think so, that most of the pain was from the inflamation and he gave me a cortisone injection.

Now, who would you go with for surgery. Their diagnosis' are similar, but obviously the Orthopedic's procedure sounds much easier that the podiatrist's.

I am scared to pieces. when i was a teen and had both feet operated on, my parent's didn't have med insurance. i had it done in a basement operating room of a podiatrist's office, i was awake, feelt all of the shuts, the sawing of the bone, the breaking, etc. I remeber laying in my bed for days on end sobbing from the pain, i am horrified that i have to go through this agin, any and all support are welcome.

lori

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2009, 09:28 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Janesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB User
Re: What would you do?

First of all I would recommend a visit to one more doctor since the first two have such different takes on what is going on with your feet. Second I would like to assure you that this time around won't be as bad. You can also choose to have one foot done at a time. By your letter's information, I think we are probably in the same age range. Our feet have carried us around for a long time and they change, move etc. Please keep us posted. Good luck.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:57 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: What would you do?

First of all, a Morton's Neuroma has nothing to do with pain in your big toe which is where you had your bunion surgery. I've had a MN and I've had big toe susrgery (cheilectomy - not the same as bunionectomy but there are similarities) and I can tell you they bore no resemblance to each other - very distinctly different issues.

I would second the suggestion to get a 3rd opinion from a foot and ankle ortho and would add that she/she be a sports med doc as well if at all possible. Definitely a F & A certified ortho though. What's the nearest large city or major college to you? If oyu are near enough to NYC, try Dr. Elliott at the Hospital for Special Surgery.

Closed Thread