It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2010, 04:35 AM   #16
(female)

gimpy44 HB User
Re: posterior tibial tendon repair surgery

Thanks for the answers that I already guessed....I go to the ortho today so will get the verdict and keep you posted. I had been reading alot of the things on this site and figured surgery will be the only way. A bit scared about the length of recovery since I am raising a child alone and the sole breadwinner. I have sick time and vacation time for 121/2 weeks so I hope that is enough time.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:47 AM   #17
(female)

PeggyJM HB User

I've had PTTD surgery done on both feet and am a firm believer that it is the best way to solve persistent problems with the PTTD. My first foot was done 7 years ago and while it is a lengthy recovery, I haven't had any problems/pain with it since then. It took me 7 years, though, to gather enough courage to go through the surgery again because it isn't an easy recovery and my foot was doing "OK". Once it started to deteriorate, though, it went downhill quickly and I scheduled the surgery as soon as I could. 12 1/2 weeks should be enough time to be off work, depending upon what you do. I'm 10 weeks out from my surgery this time and could go back to work, but am on summer break (I'm a teacher.) I'm glad, though, to have a longer break to really recoup before having to spend all day long on my feet again.

Do you have someone who could come in and help you for at least the first couple of weeks? If not, could you go and stay with family or friends? I think that it would be very difficult to manage on your own for the first couple of weeks.

There is a thread on this site that has excellent suggestions for ways to cope with the recovery period. It was very helpful to read those and get things organized before having the surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2010, 03:50 AM   #18
(female)

gimpy44 HB User

Thank you so much...just nervous after all I've read. I'm scheduled for Thursday June 24th. Yes I have family and friends that will help me!!! Worried about this non-weight bearing for so long.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:59 AM   #19
(female)

PeggyJM HB User

Yes, the non-weight bearing thing is the worst part of it all. I was very lucky this time and my surgeon said that he has found that patients do better when they begin partial weight bearing at 2 weeks! I'll admit that it made me nervous because his protocol seemed so different from the one I followed 7 years ago and different from everything else I read on this site, but the recovery was MUCH easier this time! I'm now 10 weeks out and I'm way ahead of where I was the last time.

Even though the non weight bearing part is so difficult, it's all worth it in the end! Good luck!

Old 06-23-2010, 03:25 AM   #20
(female)

gimpy44 HB User

Thanks for your support... it really helps me out!!! By the way I haven't figured out how to start a new thread on this thing. I am new to this site could you help me out so I can maybe give updates on my progress????

Old 06-25-2010, 06:56 AM   #21
(female)

gimpy44 HB User
Wink Re: posterior tibial tendon repair surgery

Howdy all had the surgery yesterday and great news....no cast at two weeks if all looks well when they take the splint off. I am so excited...he said it is possible to recover in 6 to 8 weeks....very doable for me.

Last edited by gimpy44; 06-25-2010 at 06:56 AM.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:15 AM   #22
(female)

PeggyJM HB User

YAY! I'm so happy for you! Let us know how things go for you.
Peggy

Old 07-05-2010, 10:34 AM   #23
(female)

gimpy44 HB User

Just here for an update it has been rough the last 11 days on crutches and trying to do things around here. I was surprised that I still have pain if I don't keep the leg up and it still swells and I need the ice. I go Wednesday to see the doctor and hopefully get the splint off and will be able to put a little weight on it. He said it would depend on how things looked so not sure. I have stumbled and I have fallen a couple times so hope all is well...tha tis scary.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:53 AM   #24
(female)

PeggyJM HB User

I'm not surprised that you still have pain and swelling. 11 days isn't very long and it takes a long time to get back to normal after this surgery. You mention being on crutches and taking some spills. Do you have either a knee or seated scooter? Mine was a lifesaver for me and well worth the money! Even after I was able to be weight bearing and discarded the crutches, I find that I take my scooter if I am going to the grocery or the mall as it gives me much greater mobility.

Good luck at the doctor's appointment! Let us know how it goes!
Peggy

Old 07-12-2010, 10:16 AM   #25
(female)

gimpy44 HB User

Got the splint off 7/7 and have the boot. Minimal weight bearing for 4-6 weeks then intense therapy for 4 weeks before returning to work. Sounds like 10-12 weeks to me. Will be three weeks 7/15. Seems like it has been forever but getting stronger finally and awake more. Going to try to do a computer class 7/19-7/21 so hope to get cleared by occupational health. I can only stand this boot for about 8 hours with the swelling so working up to 10 hours prior to next week. Thanks for all your support it keeps me going.....

Closed Thread