It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2009, 11:17 AM   #1
(female)

ladies brae HB User
posterior tibial tendon repair surgery

I would like to know the statistics for the success rate of posterior tibial tendon repair surgery

Thank you

Old 05-28-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: posterior tibial tendon repair surgery

It depends how bad your tendon is. There are various stages and degrees of PTT injury, and the more advanced ones are harder to treat.

In general, the success rate is high if you have a good surgeon and follow your post-op instructions carefully.

Do you have this problem? Have you spoken to a surgeon yet?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2009, 10:51 AM   #3
(female)

ladies brae HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
It depends how bad your tendon is. There are various stages and degrees of PTT injury, and the more advanced ones are harder to treat.

In general, the success rate is high if you have a good surgeon and follow your post-op instructions carefully.

Do you have this problem? Have you spoken to a surgeon yet?
Thank you for reply. Yes I have this problem for eleven months. I have worn a Richie brace for eight months and a night splint for same time. These have helped but I am still very limited with the length of time I can spend on my feet.

No I have not spoken to a surgeon because I cannot find a surgeon who has done a repair.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:43 AM   #4
(female)

mary2 HB User

I went for 5 years before I found a surgeon willing to do PTTD surgery. My tendon has deteriorated over that time and I hope you are more persistent than I was. I ended up looking on the web to the nearest teaching hospitals that had orthopedic surgeons who had a specialty in foot and ankle repair. I am 4 weeks post op and it is a long recovery time period. I am very hopeful that I will be far improved over my limited mobility before. I was willing to take the small risk since my previous status was not the way I wanted to spend that rest of my life.
I had a ritchie brace and it didn't work for me. I found the arizona brace much more satisfactory, but I was still quite limited in how far I could walk.
Keep looking and good luck!

Old 05-30-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

find a certified Foot and Ankle orthopaedic surgeon. I would be surprised if he/she has not done this procedure before. Regular orthos, yes. My regular ortho ran for the hills when it was determined what work I would need done on my foot! He sent me to the Foot and Ankle guy so fast it made my head spin! If you live in a small town you may have to go to the nearest large city.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:26 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Emmie is absolutely right. You can contact the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society (if you are in the US) to find a surgeon near you.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:51 AM   #7
(female)

mary2 HB User

I just went and checked out the surgeons on the list emmie and Janewhite suggested. Listed there was a surgeon who would not operate on me. So don't give up and keep searching. I still think it is a good idea to search on a site for a certified surgeon that specializes in feet and ankles.

Last edited by mary2; 05-31-2009 at 11:51 AM.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:06 AM   #8
(female)

ladies brae HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary2 View Post
I just went and checked out the surgeons on the list emmie and Janewhite suggested. Listed there was a surgeon who would not operate on me. So don't give up and keep searching. I still think it is a good idea to search on a site for a certified surgeon that specializes in feet and ankles.
Thanks Mary. I will keep trying. I live in Ireland so my options are limited for such surgery.
Ladie Brae.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:09 AM   #9
(female)

ladies brae HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
Emmie is absolutely right. You can contact the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society (if you are in the US) to find a surgeon near you.
Thanks jane white2
I live in Ireland and my options are very limited for this surgery.
Ladies Brae.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:42 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

They do have an international search option. Four orthopedic foot and ankle surgeons are listed in Ireland, and 29 in the UK. I do not know the process of getting a referral or appointment, but keep working on it.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:33 AM   #11
(female)

Gimpy33 HB User

can I ask someone if they think that have surgery for ptt is a good idea if you are unsure what stage you are at with this problem. I also had a fracture one year ago on the same foot, and have had nothing but pain for this full year. Have seen two doctors, one thought it was just stubborn tendonitis, other doctor thought he could help with surgery. But he only told me the other doc was wrong and my tendon has shredded and I need to create a new one and reconstruct the other side to raise the foot to give me an arch. Need to be sure before I go through this turmoil. Maybe I should seek another opinion. Can anyone help me.

Gimpy33

Old 06-20-2010, 07:51 AM   #12
(female)

gimpy44 HB User

I found out 6/17/10 that I have a 3 cm longitudinal tear in my PTT....what is the recommended treatment??? Surgery???

Old 06-20-2010, 10:48 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User

I think the only way they can fix that is surgery. But there are others on the board that probably know more then I do. I have tendonitis in my PTT. How did you hurt it?

Old 06-20-2010, 09:52 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

ThaiBoxMike HB UserThaiBoxMike HB UserThaiBoxMike HB User

had this surgery done 6 weeks ago. healing pretty good so far but still no weight bearing. from what my doctor has told me and from what I've read, it has a high success rate of relieving the pain and getting you active again

Old 06-21-2010, 04:32 AM   #15
(female)

gimpy44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggietaz View Post
I think the only way they can fix that is surgery. But there are others on the board that probably know more then I do. I have tendonitis in my PTT. How did you hurt it?
Not sure but have been cross training and maybe during the running or fell while standing on my bed back in May and came down all my weight on that lt foot....hurt bad a couple days then got back to running and end of May it got bad enough I couldn't run anymore and have a heck of a time walking.

Closed Thread