It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
(female)

cj1986 HB User
Flat Feet/ Torn Arch/ Heel Pain

Hello,

I'm starting to consider surgery and would like to research more about specific procedures they might do. I wanted to see here if anyone has had a similar situation as mine, and if so, what they've had done.

I'm a 23 yr old female, very active lifestyle, born with flat feet. I had a significant tear in my Plantar Fascia, possible tear in PTT, and now have bad heel pain after any high impact activities (running, treadmill,etc) or after standing for any length of time. I have tried all conservative methods of treatment (rest,ice, cast, physical therapy, stretching, night splints, massages, heel cups, custom orthotics, and even a minimally invasive surgery that eliminated some of the arch pain). I know its progressive and will only get worse over time, so I'd rather treat it when I'm young.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
(female)

WorldWalker HB User
Re: Flat Feet/ Torn Arch/ Heel Pain

I didn't tear anything like you did, but I did worry about surgery at a younger age so I pushed it off back when I was a kid. However when I started college I had a lot more trouble with my feet and walking around really started to bother me. I put it off for 4 months for my study abroad and my feet, well...they warped from all the use I did in London at the time despite my conservative efforts. I'm 21 and I've probably had a few different things done than what you'll have, but I'm 3 months post op and playing Wii and walking around. I can't run or jump yet but I think being a younger age will help with healing if you choose the surgical route at this point in your life. I think because it is a tear that it will probably easier to recover than if you had them tinker with your bones. I'm not sure but I'm taking a guess. However atrophy really bites but hearing how you're active it'll be motivation in recovery. Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

If you have flat feet then unfortunately, there probably will be bone work involved to create an arch. But the bone work adds about two weeks to every step of recovery. Example: instead of 4 weeks NWB you are 6. instead of then going into a boot for 4 weeks, it's 6. At least that was the case with me, and that is my doctor's protocol. I had sliding calcaneal osteotomy to create my arch.

emmie

Last edited by emmie54; 05-28-2009 at 08:15 PM.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:37 PM   #4
(female)

hurts2walk HB User

Yes it will get worse over time and you are very young so I say fix it asap. I had very flat feet and I totally ruptured the posterior tendon in both of my feet from walking on them for years trying to put off surgery....and that was with wearing custom orthodics. Now I am 6 weeks post op with the surgery on the second foot. I had to have a tendon transfer, achilles lengthening, column lengthening with graft from hip and heel osteotomy. I will be non weight bearing in a boot for 8 weeks before I can take a step...it is a long recovery but if you read here you will see that it is done every day and there are many success stories......just a long journey there.

By the way I am 42 years old BUT I am in good physical shape, not overweight and very healthy otherwise. I DO wish I would have had this surgery at a younger age though. So keep reading here and good luck.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:40 AM   #5
(female)

elephantie HB User
Red face Re: Flat Feet/ Torn Arch/ Heel Pain

i had total reconstructive foot surgury for flat feet 4 years ago.
i had 2 pins in my foot to create an arch, a bone graft in my heal, and my tendons were snipped.
when i thought i was going to be able to walk and do normal stuff,
i got a New Kind of pain, in new place. Plus Tendinitis, which i never had before, and its extremly painful,
The change of weather to cold makes them tighten up and pull.
i was 13 years old when i had this done, now im 18...

whatever you do.. Do Not let them cut your tendon in anyway, also
you will NEED physical therapy after. and it caused me more pain.
get manyyyy oppinions and try physical therapy before you let someone opperate on your feet. And Be careful, ask them many questions,
about healing and stuff.

i truly hope you get better with out it. Good luck,

Closed Thread