It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2009, 09:46 PM   #1
(male)

half step HB User
Ankle fusion and talus removal

Has anyone here had to have their talus removed to get a good fusion. My talus has collasped and is in bad shape. To fuse my ankle, they will have to remove my talus and either add bone graphs to build it back or fuse my heel bone the the leg bone and make that leg shorter than the other. If anyone has had this done, I would really like to hear from you.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:05 AM   #2
(female)

Sparksa HB User
Re: Ankle fusion and talus removal

Why don't they try ankle replacement?
I think will be better than removing the Talus and shortening the leg... which will put more stress on the spine, hip, knee.

Sparks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
(male)

half step HB User
Re: Ankle fusion and talus removal

Sparksa, the problem is the bone that they fuse the ankle replacement in the foot is the talus. They can't fuse the ankle replacement to a dead bone. I am only 42 which is too young for replacement. Most dr. want you to be 55 or older because the life of the implant is around 10 years. Once a replacement wears out, they can only replace it one more time. My only option is to leave it like it is or get it fused.

Closed Thread