It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2009, 06:10 AM   #1
(female)

Pegret HB User
Triple A surgery was Wednesday

I survived. I wrote the note below last night. Today's update says I am doing ok. Slept fairly well after getting the pain somewhat under control I took a nurse friend's advice and instead of taking 2 pain pills and 2 muscle relaxers every 4 hours, I am taking 1 of each every 2 hours. I go back to the doc June 10. Here is last night's note:

I'm here and that is about what I can say. Thank you God for Shirley! I'm sure she is rethinking the decision she made in offering to take me in after surgery. I was doing ok at the hospital where all I did was lay in the bed with drugs pumping into my butt to numb my leg. They pulled that about 9 this morning and sent me down to get my cast I have pictures I'll send when I can get them off my camera. Ny cast is open at the toes while keeping them covered, ends just below the knee and is bright lemon yellow. The good news is they did not have to fuse the big toe, so that means no plates in my foot. And while they shortened toe 2&3 they did not have to use external pins so my toes get to wiggle out of the cast. Next came the PT workout with the shelf walker. Every bitt as difficult as I envisioned and more. Then came the occupational therapy woman to talk about how to get dressed etc. Shirley got to the hospital about then.

The nurse in charge of me was next and was trying to give us the leaving instructions. Poor woman. About every 3rd sentance we interupted her and told her she was wrong, Wrong meds, wrong return appointemnt... Anyway we finally got to the end and she gave me the drug scripts... again I said no, I'm suppose to be getting the pills. When I checked into surgery they asked if I wanted to get my post surgery drugts from the hospital when I left. I said yes, they said give me your insurance card. Nurse Jill explained that only meant I could fill the scripts downstairs at the main pharmacy and it would take about an hour and a half. It was now 3, the script for pain pills was written for1-3 pills every 4 hours. As I had had 2 3 hours ago Shirley and I tried to talk her into 1 more to go. No luck. The hospital orders were for 2 per 4 hours. So we decided to drive the 45 minutes to the Target in Cedar Rapids and get it filled there.

Shirley and the hospital aide loaded me into the back seat. Pain level 2 Operative leg along the back of seat, sitting upright, back to the driver's side back door. 4:00 Target...pain level 8. It was 4:30 when we got to her house. Used the walker to get in and mannaged only to get to the couch. Pain level 9. I took pills and Shirley piled up my pillows...I wiggles trying to find comfort...Shirley piled up my pillows...I wiggled and whined being unable to fine comfort....Not pretty. About 7:30 it finally started to break and I called it a 7, Shirley just now asked me for a number and I gave her a 4. I told Shirley I was never going to get off this couch..too bad, Stan'sleeps here much of the time.,,

So that is the story from me. Somewhat loopy...but I'm sticking to it right now,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2009, 06:28 AM   #2
(female)

shelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB User
Re: Triple A surgery was Wednesday

glad you are doing well. the first few days are the worst, then it just gets annoying
shelley

Old 05-29-2009, 07:16 AM   #3
(female)

lovelyladi HB User

It will get better. The first week or two are the worst then the immobility is the only problem while in the cast (cabin fever).

Hugs, Shelly

Old 05-29-2009, 09:22 AM   #4
(female)

canuck46 HB User

Pegret so glad the worst is behind you - each day the pain level will decrease but make sure you keep taking the meds on schedule to keep ahead of the pain. Now it is time to relax and rest - elevate and let your body heal. You will have so many funny and not so funny stories to tell as you progress to good foot health. I never thought I would get through this with a sense of humor intact but I chose to laugh rather then cry. It is now 11 weeks for me of being dependent on others to take me places and help with household chores, but I am now trying to adjust to walking unaided and wearing tennis shoes or crocs in the house. I am going to try driving (with my hubby beside me) and my boot always at the ready. So take care of yourself. Mar

Closed Thread