It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
(female)

spima3 HB User
Flat foot/overpronation surgery for kids/teens

DS, now 11 has had custom orthotics since age of 4. During this time, he has had to give up all sports, gym is a nightmare for him, can not walk or even be on his feet for longer than 15/20 minutes without pain. Any field trips require dosing him with pain meds before, during, and after the trip.
His life is going down the drain, and yet every single podiatrist and pediactric ortho we have seen lately just tells me he is doing well with the inserts and all he needs ios to lose weight and he will better off. Didn't have a weight problem until physical activity became non-existant.

Utterly disgusted with the medical community at this time! Being able to tolerate inserts is not "doing great"!

For those here, have you any suggestions? I have never found anyone to talk to who has this problem or been treated for it. Do I keep looking for an ortho until we find one to recommend surgery? or is what I'm being told, the accepted option? TIA, Lori

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
(female)

spima3 HB User
Re: Flat foot/overpronation surgery for kids/teens

BUMP

Hoping someone will respond and not just read the message.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
(female)

cj1986 HB User

I also had/have flat feet since I was kid. I was a competitive athlete, and at 13 my heel started bothering me and was diagnosed with Sever's. Throughout my teen years I just had to fight through the pain, or quit playing sports. At the age of 20 I ended up tearing my arch. I'm still in pretty much constant pain.

Well, I just met with another doctor (ortho surgeon) who still doesn't want to do surgery on the foot itself. He thinks the cause is the calf being so tight, and that this would have contributed to the sever's as well. It made sense. I havent been able to find a whole lot of info yet, but someone said something about it being a surgical option for kids with cerebal palsy as well. Just a thought...

I know its hard not to have a definitive answer. For 10 years Ive still been trying to find a solution. Its very frustrating, but you really really don't want to rush into a major reconstructive surgery at that age. Its a big surgery with no guarantee to begin with, plus he's still growing. I would wait till he gets a bit older for reconstruction as his foot will still be changing. Hope you find some help though.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:01 PM   #4
(female)

calico25 HB User

I am 24 yrs. old and have always had flat feet. I also had to deal with orthos. they didn't not work very well as far as pain or anything else for that matter. I couldn't find a doc that would operate on me either because an arch construction would interfere with growth plates. I am now fixing to have a flat foot reconstruction and I am ever so glad! I don't really think you will find anyone who will operate on a child that youg, probably for the same reason.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

I saw something on TV the other day about implants that can be placed between the bones on the side of the ankle. Evidently it is something new they are doing for children with flat feet. There is no bone work involved (as far as cutting) and no soft tissue work. The implant kept the arch from falling. I don't know anything about it personally but the concept looked intriguing. You might can research online "implants for flat feet in children" and find out more information. The TV show was "The Doctors" so they may have a link on their website. It aired a couple of weeks ago.

Hope this helps.

emmie

Old 06-10-2009, 09:44 PM   #6
(female)

spima3 HB User

A big thank you to all who replied.

A cousin's 11 year old daughter was just treated for the same problem. She saw an ortho, who referred them to CHoP's, surgery was done and the kid is doing terrific, all in a matter of less than a year. So dealing with this for 7 long years and no improvement for my son has been beyond frustrating.

I wish luck to all those struggling with these issues, and I will check into that website someone mentioned.

Thanks again, lori

Closed Thread