It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2009, 01:20 AM   #1
(male)

kbear HB User
Ankle fusion surgery next month

I shattered the bottom of my tibia and fractured my talus last july.Had surgery with all the normal hardware installed,but for some reason my ankle did'nt heal correctly.So after a year of constant pain i'm having surgery again.My question is,will I be able to walk somewhat normal after the ankle is fused? I really hate the thought of having a limp for the rest of my life.I'm only 45 years old.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:05 AM   #2
(male)

DPart HB User
Re: Ankle fusion surgery next month

I walk with out a limp and had a TT fusion in Dec. 08.

Darryl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2009, 04:26 PM   #3
(male)

DPart HB User

I second that the recovery is long. Four months before I could walk without crutches.

Darryl

Old 06-07-2009, 09:28 PM   #4
(male)

kbear HB User

Thanks for the replies.My doc said I would be back to work in 3 months,is this a reasonable time if all goes well?

Old 06-08-2009, 01:02 PM   #5
(male)

DPart HB User

I am a teacher and went back to work at 10 weeks using crutches. So depending on your job yes.

Darryl

Old 06-09-2009, 10:11 PM   #6
(male)

kbear HB User

Darryl,
When you said you had a TT fusion, did you mean you had a tibia/talus fusion?I hope so,because I have'nt talked to anyone that has had the same injury that I have,or we have.You said you were on crutches for 4 months,is that because of doctors orders,or because of the pain?I'm a millwright at a sawmill,so crutches are'nt a option for me.It is really great to hear you no longer have a limp after recovery.I hope I'm as lucky as you are.Thank you very much for your comments,I really do appreciate it

Old 06-10-2009, 04:50 AM   #7
(male)

half step HB User

kbear, it will usually take 12 weeks or longer before you get the bones to completely fuse. Sometimes it takes longer depending on how well you heal and how well the surgery went. After you are allowed to bear weight, it will take sometime to work out the soreness and get adjusted to the fuse. Don't be suprised if it takes longer before you can stand on it all day without much swelling and pain. I go to the orthropedic surgeon on the 29th of this month. I broke my talus 7 years ago and since then, it has developed avn and it has collapsed. I am going to have to get it fused someday. I live in constant pain. The orthropedic surgeon doesn't want to fuse it because in my case, it will be a very long and complicated event. Since my talus is bad, it will have to be removed. In your case, if they get the foot aligned straight and screw together tightly, it should fuse really good. After it heals and you recover, you should be able to walk without a limp and the pain should be minimal. Just keep in mind that it takes a good while before you will be back to normal. It is hard for your feet to heal and recover on a daily basis when we stand on them all day. Good luck and let me know how things go, I might be next.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:43 PM   #8
(male)

DPart HB User

Yes tibia/talus fusion. I was no weight on it for 10 weeks then part weight for about 6 weeks. The last 3 weeks was after I was in a sneaker to work on walking without a limp. Most people I know that had fusion need crutches for at least 12 weeks. I also needed them because my job kept me on my feet all day. It takes a long time before you can be on it all day. With your job I would think you would need to be fully recovered be for returning. If I had to do it over I would have stayed out of work a full 4 months. Jobs that you need to move all day are twice as hard on crutches.

Darryl

Old 06-10-2009, 01:45 PM   #9
(male)

DPart HB User

By the way I am 44 years old and had the fusion due to a fractured talus that would not heal.

Darryl

Old 06-10-2009, 10:19 PM   #10
(male)

kbear HB User

Darryl,
Thank you again for your replies,I am also 44 years old, you have made me feel much better knowing that someone who has had the same injury as mine has had good results.
Kerry

Old 06-10-2009, 10:35 PM   #11
(male)

kbear HB User

Half step,
It sounds like your injury is far worse than mine,I wish you the best I'm having my surgery july 20th, and I will post how it all went as soon as possible.It sure is nice talking to people that are going through the same thing as I am.....thanks alot.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:23 PM   #12
(male)

DPart HB User

Kerry,

Happy to help this is a difficult thing to go though. You have a difficult 3 to 4 months ahead of you, but it is worth it. Stay two nights at the hospital if they let you and stay ahead of the pain with your pain meds. Plan on staying in bed with leg elevated for about 1 week. After about ten days I was able to get up and about on crutches.

Darryl

Old 06-11-2009, 10:11 PM   #13
(male)

kbear HB User

Darryl,
I have read that this is a serious operation,but I did'nt know that it may require a two night stay at the hospital.Is that what you did?My last surgery I spent just one night,and that was enough for me.If it takes two nights that's ok,I'll deal with it.I'm sorry if I'm ranting on about this,I just have'nt found many people to talk about it with.
Thanks,
Kerry

Old 06-12-2009, 01:35 PM   #14
(male)

DPart HB User

Kerry,
I did not stay 2 nights but wished I had. My first night home pain wise was very bad. For me I would stay 2 nights and have the nerve block a day longer. I hate being down, but that pain I could do without. Believe me, I got around on those crutches as soon as the pain made it possible.

Darryl

Old 06-12-2009, 10:42 PM   #15
(male)

kbear HB User

Darryl,
When I had my first surgery on my ankle(screws and a plate), I had an option to have the nerve block,I chose not to have it.The pain was'nt really that bad.I have a pretty high tolerance for pain.Sounds like I might have to consider it this time.
Kerry

Closed Thread