It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2009, 09:49 PM   #1
(male)

half step HB User
MBT shoes and ankle fusion question

How good is the MBT shoes for someone who has had an ankle joint fusion? I have been looking at them and wondered if the shoes would help the step roll over without putting any stress on the joint. I don't actually have my ankle joint fused yet but my talus has collapsed a bunch and I have very little movement left. Before I spent the money on a pair, I was wondering if anyone could share some experience with these shoes. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2009, 02:20 AM   #2
(male)

MoeHoward HB User
Re: MBT shoes and ankle fusion question

Best thing to do would be to go a store that sells it and try it there before buying it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
(male)

half step HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeHoward View Post
Best thing to do would be to go a store that sells it and try it there before buying it.
The closest store that sells mbt is over 3 hours away. If anyone has any experience with these shoes, I would like to hear from you.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

No personal experience, but I recall someone on here saying that their surgeon advised against MBT shoes, as they do not provide proper support for someone who's had fusion. Most folks who've had ankle fusion find some regular shoes they like, then take them to a shoemaker to have a little rocker bottom installed.

Ask your surgeon next time you see him. And it's probably best not to buy expensive post-surgery shoes until you are ready for them. The shape of your ankle will change, you might have a sensitive scar.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:37 PM   #5
(male)

half step HB User

I go back to the os on the 29th of this month. My ankle is in bad shape and the os have always steered me away from fusion. Mainly because my talus is non-usable and this makes fusion more complicated. I am not banking on getting my ankle fused none to soon but it might be neccessary sooner than I think. I like to walk and was looking for a good walking shoe that might help me. The rocker bottom shoes are interesting and might make walking easier. If I sit too long, my ankle tightens up and if I stand too long, both feet and ankles start hurting. I have custom insoles in my boots that make a huge differnce. I seen these shoes and like the way they work. It has potenial of making a good walking shoe. But before I buy a pair, I thought I would get some feedback on people who have used them and how well they did wearing them. These shoes are pricey so I don't want to buy them and not be able to use them. I have read where people who had ankle joint fusion liked the shoe. I have been investigating them but want more feedback. I will ask the os but also want feedback from patients. RYN also makes a rocker bottom shoe simular to MBT. RYN are supposed to be a higher quality version of this type of shoe. I know when you get the ankle joint fused, some people get their shoes modified to a rocker bottom sole simular to the MBT and RYN shoes.

Closed Thread