It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2009, 01:59 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Dancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB User
Scar Tissue

Has anyone been left with scar tissue following foot surgery and if so how did you get rid of it? I have scar tissue on ball of foot that is rubbing against the nerve and it's driving me crazy. I had surgery over a year ago for mortons neuroma. I wish I had never had the surgery. My foot felt better before they cut into me.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:10 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Scar Tissue

Glad to know you finally got a diagnosis of what was going on. What did the doctor suggest? As far as I remember, all I've heard of is something like shock-wave therapy (forget what they called that) and surgical excision.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2009, 05:50 PM   #3
(female)

aed2113 HB User

If you're in physical therapy, or if your doctor will give you a script, they can try ultrasound therapy and deep tissue massage to break it up...I'm not sure if it will help with where the tissue is though.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:58 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Scar Tissue

I have changed docs since the one who did the surgery seemed to run out of ideas as to how to help me. I think he thought the feeling I am having was all in my head. NOT!! He sent me to therapy where they did deep tissue massage as well as ultrasound treatments, none of which helped. Oh by the way it was my idea to go to therapy, not his. I questioned him as to the possibility of scar tissue and asked him if he thought deep tissue massage or ultrasound might help and that's when he wrote the script to send me to therapy. He also wanted to send me to a pain clinic where all they do is shoot you up with injections and put you on drugs. No Thanks! I also was sent for acupuncture treatments. That didn't help either.

My new doc seems to think he can help me. He has 3 differerent treatments he is going to try. The one I am doing now is applying Solaraze Gel on my foot (which is used as an antiinflamatory, as well as overexposure to the sun) 3 times a day as well as wearing a gel sleeve pad on my foot to take pressure off the foot. I questioned him as to how the solaraze gel would help me since it is used for sun exposure and he told me it was first introduced as an antiinflamatory drug. This is a 3 month treatment. If this doesn't work, he will try something else to help seperate the nerves. I have heard of shock wave treatment. What kind of surgical incision are you talking about?

Old 06-14-2009, 05:12 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Excision - where they go in and excise (remove) the scar tissue.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:34 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

My experience with scar tissue and what I have been told is to contunially rub the area. PT really gets in there as you already know. Sometimes the scar tissue buildsup and they will try eveything before surgery. Then it depends where it is on the body. Hope things get better for you.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:21 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Thanks..I will keep rubbing the ball of my foot and hope eventually I can break up the scar tissue. If I have to resort to surgery to get rid of it after all else fails, I will. I wonder how well removing the scar tissue surgically would work. I'm starting to lose confidence in any type of surgery. I am very disappointed in the results from my mortons neuroma surgery. I wish I had never had it done knowing now that I am left with scar tissue that bugs me as much or more than the neuroma.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:26 PM   #8
(male)

MFrakes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancinboots View Post
Thanks..I will keep rubbing the ball of my foot and hope eventually I can break up the scar tissue. If I have to resort to surgery to get rid of it after all else fails, I will. I wonder how well removing the scar tissue surgically would work. I'm starting to lose confidence in any type of surgery. I am very disappointed in the results from my mortons neuroma surgery. I wish I had never had it done knowing now that I am left with scar tissue that bugs me as much or more than the neuroma.
Been reading the threads here the last few days. Had a neuroma removed and a metatarsal tear repaired in my right foot 12/23/08. My foot is worse than ever. Sensitive nerve area in the ball of my foot makes it feel like walking on a rock, numbing in toes and weird clicking feeling that I've read about with others. Almost debilitating.........wished I had just put up with the original problem. The cryo approach sounds somewhat promising with some. I can't afford to take 2 and 3 weeks off of work though. I'm in a real quandary and don't know what to do..........................

Old 06-17-2009, 05:46 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

MFrakes

I wish I could give you some encouragement, but unfortunately I have been going through the same feelings as you with my foot following Neuroma Surgery May 2008. I still experience a "bunched up sock feeling", a feeling like I'm walking on broken up seashells or sandpaper, as well as numbness in ball of foot as well as in my toes. I have done everything you can think of including therapy (deep tissue massage, ultrasound, acupuncture) none of which has helped. Supposedly what I have is scar tissue that is rubbing against a nerve. If you read my first post you know that I have changed doctors. Hopefully I will be able to get some relief from this annoying feeling.

Like you, I wish now would never have had the surgery. My foot also feels much worse than it did before I had the neuroma removed. Was yours removed from the top or bottom of foot? Mine was from the top. I have also heard of cyrosurgery where they freeze the nerve, but I only know of one doctor in my area that does it. Let's hope we can both get normal feeling feet again. It's debilitating to say the least. You are the first one who has posted with the same type of feeling I am experiencing following neuroma surgery. Does that mean we are the only ones with a bum surgery?

Last edited by Dancinboots; 06-17-2009 at 05:51 PM.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:47 PM   #10
(male)

half step HB User

I haven't had this type of surgery but have had both ankles repaired after breaking them plus my back as well. It will take a full year to fully recover as much as you can. Have any of you tried any kind of presciptions that help settle the nerves down? Maybe you need more time or maybe you need to have it corrected before any nerve damage occurs. What all has your os has to say about possible cures? Can you get injections in the foot that stun the nerve to make it more comfortable. I do feel for you all. My feet hurt all the time. I take pain med but it only helps so much. My right ankle talus bone is dead and collapsed. There isn't anything much worse than having your feet bother you all the time. I am curious to what will work for you all. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:03 AM   #11
(male)

MFrakes HB User

Thank you for your replies and comments. Mysery loves company as they say.........Scar tissue rubbing the nerve makes some sense. My surgery was through the bottom of the foot because of the metatarsal tear that was in need of repair (unbeknownced sp? to me). I knew that this was the more difficult surgery to recover from as opposed to the top of the foot. However, reading all of the various experiences that people have had, it seems to make little difference. I suppose the good news is that I don't have any appreciable swelling or discoloration and the rest of my foot seems to be unaffected. Based on some of the comments about Podiatrists vs. OS, I had been questioning my choice for the surgery. But I have been rereading my Podiatrists credentials and they are exemplary....he is no hack and I still have great confidence in his abilities. He was very conservative with his approach to the neuroma...........we tried everything over a 6 month period until surgery was the only option left. He didn't push it and said from the get go that there was no guarantee.............I guess he meant what he said.

I have an appt. 6/19 to see where we go from here. This is certainly weighing on my family as well as I.........a new job at the company that requires some travel and lots of walking, meetings, etc. Taking 3 - 4 weeks off is almost not an option at this point. I wish I could turn the clock back.......I know the pair of shoes that created this problem for me. I would never have worn them had I known what the consequences would be.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:59 AM   #12
(female)

Pam Beeson HB User

Hello,
I have had three sub talor fusions 2nd time was having pain around nerve at bottom of foot so they done scar tissue removal and then moved the nerve up into calf area felt much better (right ankle outside) only thing is cannot feel the area where they removed the nerve only a small section from mid foot to small toe have never had any problems since. made a real difference. maybe this will help. good luck to you.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:31 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Pam

When you had your scar tissue removal, how long was the recovery and was the bad feeling in your foot totally gone? I experience some numbness right now in a couple of my toes where the nerve was removed during the neuroma surgery. I am being told by my new doc that what i am experiencing is scar tissue rubbing against a nerve. If the nerve was removed I don't know how that could be, but I guess there are several nerves in your foot. I'm hoping that the problem can be remedied without another surgery.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:09 AM   #14
(female)

Pam Beeson HB User

Hello,
I had the scar tissue removal at the same time they done the 2nd fusion so can't really say how long recovery was. recovering from fusion at the same time as far as the bad feeling yes i haven't had that feeling since they removed the nerve. had 3rd fusion with bone graft 2/2/09 still have no nerve problem just started walking without boot about one week ago only problems i am having now is just getting used to walking with no boot.tendons and ligaments are starting to come back to life after being so closed up.
will take some time. p.s 2nd doctor told me that the nerve could come back to life over time but not likely since he cut it and moved it to another area (back of calf). hope this helps ............

Old 06-23-2009, 04:07 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Hi Pam

That's encouraging knowing that if it comes down to having the scar tissue removed from foot and moved somewhere else it will get rid of the annoying feeling in my foot. Sometimes it feels like I am walking on rough sandpaper. If I would have known that I would be left with a worse feeling in my foot after surgery, I would have left it the way it was. Perhaps it would have resolved itself.

I go back to see my "new doc" on Friday. Right now I am applying solaraze gel (which is an anti-inflamatory) on my foot 3 times a day, wearing a gel pad on my foot. He also gives me a tens treatment every time I go. This treatment is for 3 months which will be till the end of August. If this doesn't help He has a couple other treatments he wants to try. I'm sure that he wants to try all the less invasive treatments before resorting to surgically removing the scar tissue. All I know is I want it gone! It's been over 3 years thatI have been dealing with a funky feeling foot.

Sharon

Closed Thread