It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
(female)

dare2bedifferen HB User
Hammer toe Surgery Recovery

So I had hammer toe surgery on June 12th. I have to say the pain on a scale from 1-10 was a 5. The pain is not that bad to me. Maybe because I didn't have the get the pins inserted into my bone. But I'm now starting to walk a little bit with the use of the crutches. He said if I go back to work I have to wear a surgical boot which I find extremely unattractive. Is there any other shoe out there that I can possibly wear? I might just keep wearing the orthopedic shoe.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
(female)

Rilesbean HB User
Re: Hammer toe Surgery Recovery

Hello, I'm having the surgery soon. I am going to a doctor in Quincy for mine but I am having the minimal invasive surgery. Supposedly I can leave wearing my flip flops with a small bandage but they will only do 1 foot at a time. I have one toe on each foot that needs correction. The doctor said since its minimally invasive, I can drive myself home and I can return to work that same day as long as I don't walk around too much for the first couple days. I will be having it done in about a week. I'm a little nervous but ready to get this over with. I'm sorry I don't know of better shoe you could wear to work vs. the surgical boot. That must be a pain.

I wanted to send you a private message about this so we could compare doctors but I guess because I am a newbie I don't have the privilege yet.

Last edited by Rilesbean; 06-19-2009 at 11:55 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2009, 03:58 PM   #3
(female)

dare2bedifferen HB User

Aww rilesbean don't be! That's good you can return to work. Yeah it says if your newbie you can't pm! But I hope you check back and read this. I was nervous too seeing it's my first surgery. If they put you to sleep its a breeze which I'm sure they will. All I remember is five doctors being in the surgery room. I started at 1:30 and woke up at 4:00. The pain is minimum trust me when I say this. I had four toes done on my right foot. I need crutches to walk but he said I can take baby steps. I'm getting the second surgery done in September.

Oh and my Doctor is in East Boston where I currently live. His name is Dr. Berman.

P.S. - Try not to be nervous!

Last edited by dare2bedifferen; 06-19-2009 at 04:00 PM.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:54 PM   #4
(female)

Rilesbean HB User

dare2bedifferen, thanks for your reply! Since it's a minimal incision surgery I will not be asleep. I'll will just have local anesthesia to numb that part of my foot. I am getting the second foot done in late July/August.

I'm so glad your recovery is going well! It's nice to here a good story on this surgery.
When do you plan to return to work?

Glad both of us are getting it done and over with before the next winter. I don't have to tell you last winter was a nightmare and I can't imagine trying to recover from surgery with all that snow and ice!

Old 06-19-2009, 07:02 PM   #5
(female)

dare2bedifferen HB User

[QUOTE=Rilesbean;4016883]dare2bedifferen, thanks for your reply! Since it's a minimal incision surgery I will not be asleep. I'll will just have local anesthesia to numb that part of my foot. I am getting the second foot done in late July/August.

I'm so glad your recovery is going well! It's nice to here a good story on this surgery.
When do you plan to return to work?

Glad both of us are getting it done and over with before the next winter. I don't have to tell you last winter was a nightmare and I can't imagine trying to recover from surgery with all that snow and ice![/QUOTE]

He said Monday June 29th but I have to wear the surgical boot for 4 weeks grr! I know the snow here is heavy! Good thing we are getting it over with.
Can't wait to next summer to finally show off my cute toes!
But I'm sure you'll feel nothing when they numb it. Try not to worry. I'm sure you'll surgery will come out just as successful as mine. He told me there will be bruising because it's still in the healing process. But I don't mind.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:58 PM   #6
(female)

Rilesbean HB User

Thanks! It's comforting to hear that your surgery went well. It's really scary reading all the things about floppy toe and such. That's one of the things I've been worried about so it was really good to hear your story. I will have to post next week and let you know how it went.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:32 AM   #7
(female)

dare2bedifferen HB User

[QUOTE=Rilesbean;4018979]Thanks! It's comforting to hear that your surgery went well. It's really scary reading all the things about floppy toe and such. That's one of the things I've been worried about so it was really good to hear your story. I will have to post next week and let you know how it went. [/QUOTE]

Thanks I'll be looking forward to hearing from you. I want to see how it went. and I'll update this when I get my stitches taken out tomorrow. Most people that get the pins experience floppy toe but they said after seven weeks I believe the toe straightens.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:26 PM   #8
(female)

dare2bedifferen HB User

Just a recap I got my stitches taken out. I have to admit it wasn't a fun experience at all. All the pulling on my skin was driving me insane. It's still bandage up a bit but tomorrow I get to take the bandage off. My toes are indeed swelled up like a sausage but he assured me that they will look like that for awhile. It's kind of painful when I walk. I am now wearing the boot lol. People stare like what happen to her but I think it'll be worth it in the end. I think July 8 I can officially wear normal shoes.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:08 PM   #9
(female)

Rilesbean HB User

So, I had the surgery today. The worst part was getting the needle to numb my toe. I didn't feel pain, only pressure. The worst part of the whole thing is this ugly shoe boot. I just want to cry over it! I know i'm being silly b/c there are worse things that can happen but I just can't wait to get rid of it. He said I'll be in it from 1-3 weeks depending on how my healing goes. I can walk around fine but I'm trying to walk as little as possible to hopefully speed up the healing process. I asked about being numb for when I get the stitches out in 2 weeks b/c of what you said about how it was uncomfortable to have them taken out. He said no to the numbing but i bet it will hurt.
July 6th is coming soon-I'm so excited for you that you can wear regular shoes!
How are you otherwise? How was being back at work?

Old 06-29-2009, 04:58 PM   #10
(female)

Rilesbean HB User

Okay so about 5 hours later and now it hurts!! Not sure if its the toe that he did or the others b/c the bandage is so tight. He said I could loosen it but I'm afraid to touch it. I tooks some of the pain meds so hopefully they will kick in soon.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:42 PM   #11
(female)

dare2bedifferen HB User

Rilesbean I'm glad to hear you went through it. My doctor prescribed me medication but the one he prescribed was strong. So I ended up taking Aleve and that helped me a lot with the minimum pain. I'm sorry it hurts I thought he said you could wear your flip flops? I know the shoe is ugly. People stare at me still whenever I wear the surgical boot or shoe. Going back to work was a scary experience. My feet hurt a little if I try to move them. I work at a daycare so the little girl almost sat on my feet. I'm so nervous because I really don't want anything to drop on my feet or anyone bumping it by an accident. My feet are still swollen. Did he say when u can go back to work?

Old 06-29-2009, 08:34 PM   #12
(female)

Rilesbean HB User

I should be able to wear flip flops or open toe shoes in about a week as long as I am healing properly. I have to go back this Wednesday so he can see how i am doing. I had lasik eye surgery and that was worse, so I don't know why I'm being such a baby about this.
Now I just have shooting pain here and there but it actually feels better when I'm up and walking. I could have gone back to work today. I also work with kids (so I understand why you were paranoid about then stepping on it or dropping something on it) and have about a week off before summer school begins.
I tried to wear my own flip flops today but the bandage is so thick that it wasn't really comfortable. The bandage is supposed to get smaller each time I go see the doctor. So we'll see on Wednesday. Like you said, I can't wait till next summer when this is all a fleeting memory.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:15 PM   #13
(female)

dare2bedifferen HB User

It's good to hear that you are doing better. The more progress you make the lesser pain you will have. That's how I see it. Your lucky you don't have to wear the boot though! Did your doctor tell you to apply ice to your feet? I'm still applying it to mine because the swelling is still visible. But my feet look much better than before. Even through the swelling I can see a major difference. I see my doctor on Monday so hopefully he'll say I can return to regular shoes. The boot is unbelievably heavy.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:10 PM   #14
(female)

Rilesbean HB User

Hi! Yes, i am doing better. After that day my pain was a lot less during the day. However, I was unable to sleep at night for a few days b/c I kept getting foot cramps and the only way it would feel better was to get up and walk. I actually have no pain when I'm up and walking. I haven't been icing. My foot doesn't appear swollen and he told me to keep it dry. Maybe he'll have me ice after my stitches are taken out?

I have sort of a soft shoe type of thing on. It's not heavy but it can get hot especially since its been humid out.

My next appointment is Wednesday and hopefully it is still getting better.

I will be so excited for you if you can wear your normal shoes on Monday. Just in time for some nice weather! Let me know what happens.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:25 AM   #15
(female)

dare2bedifferen HB User

Hey! I went to my appointment on Monday and he was wondering why I was still wearing the boot.. he hadn't told me when I can take it off. He noticed that the top part of my foot was swelling because of the boot. I no longer have to wear it I can now wear normal shoes! So excited only down fall is I can't wear shoes like Nikes, Hells, Flats because they may hurt my toes. I have to wear shoes with a lot of room for now because my toes are still swollen. Only thing I could find to wear in my closet are the Crocs. He said no plastic but I guess the crocs are okay.

Closed Thread