It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
(female)

hbeal05 HB User
8 Weeks Post PTTD Surgery

I am now 8 weeks exactly from my tendon transfer and he placed 2 screws into the heel bone. I have been placing more and more pressure on my foot when I am using my crutches. I was never instructed to go to physical therapy but I was wondering if that is the usual. Also does anyone know how long it should take before you are full weight bearing?

Old 06-27-2009, 04:48 PM   #2
(female)

mary2 HB User
Re: 8 Weeks Post PTTD Surgery

I am also 8 weeks post pttd surgery. I only have 1 screw in my heel. I was just put into a boot on Thurs (after an x-ray) and was given a referral to PT. I saw the PT on Friday and started exercises to increase the flexibility of the foot and ankle, taught how to massage the scar, and my husband learned how to massage my foot leg and hip area to increase the drainage of the lymph nodes ( to reduce swelling). I was told to go twice a week for two months. I have noticed that some folks on these boards go three times a week. I have not asked what they do at PT.
I do know that OS have different routines that they do, some use casts others use boots. You may not be ready for PT especially since you have more screws. When do you see the Dr again?? You might want to ask when you will have pt.
I thought that I could do FWB but quickly found out that I have to use the crutches and just today I went food shopping and used my knee walker to give myself a break. I also used a pain pill today and I haven't used them for 6 weeks.
I am beginning to realize that this will be the difficult aspect of recovery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
(female)

yaohua HB User

Are you walking in boot with crutches? I had the same surgery like you on 4/1/09. I also had 2 screws in my heel and another two at the end of my big toa. My recovery schedule is wk 1 and wk 2 in surgery ACE bandage, wk 3 through wk 6 in hard cast, and wk 7 through wk 12 in boot. So I was in boot for 6 weeks. During the time that I was in boot, I started walking with two crutches for about 2 wks, then I reduced to one crutch for a week or so until I was comfortable walking in boot without any crutches (about 2 wks+). Begining the 13th wk, after seeing doctor and x-ray again, I was allowed to wear tennis shoes. This is the phrase I am in right now. I only wore tennis shoes, full weight bearing for about 5 days. Boy, it hurts, lots of pain, regular over the counter pain pills did not work. Today I started taking prescribed pain pills. Hope it helps the pain a bit. I don't know how long this pain is going to last. Dr. only priscribed 10 pills, so I am hoping the pain is not going to last too long. I am due to see him in another three months. That would be my 6 month check up. Also, I started my PT while I was in boot (3 times a wk for 4 wks). I am beginning my 2nd 4 weeks PT. PT definitely helps with range of motions. Some core exercises are necessary to help you resume proper walking (without limping). When I first started walking in tennis shoes, I still walked like I was in boot, not bending the ankle, not using the heel and ball. Once I tried walking properly, I began having pain. That is the situation where I am now. I am anxious to know if anyone on this board had the same experience, pain in tennis shoes. As to PT vs. no PT, I found several people on this board did not have PT prescribed to them. So I don't know if it is necessary. My personal opinion is that PT definitely helps. After a couple of PT sessions, I learned and could do some of those exercises, including massaging the incisions at home by myself. Going to PT sessions, you have someone helping and watching your progress and administering different exercises according to your progress which may help you recover faster.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:31 PM   #4
(female)

SoCalGal09 HB User

hbeal05,

Everyone is different in their recovery. I had my surgery on 3/03/09 and I was full weight bearing before another lady who had her surgery two days after me. BUT, her doctor put her in a boot waaaaay before mine put me in one. So, don't get discouraged if you aren't where someone else is at the same time mark from surgery.

As for PT - I just started PT this past week. I go to the pool once a week and to the office twice a week. I'll only do the pool therapy for a few weeks, then continue it on my own as many times a week as I'm comfortable with. I agree that PT is a good thing for me, it is teaching me how to move my foot again after being in a hard cast for three months, then a boot (I'll be in the boot for at least another month, possibly two). I think walking in the pool has been a great benefit to me, but makes the pain terrible at night. I'm resisting pain meds since I had such a hard time when I stopped them before. Wicked withdrawls, ugh.

The weight bearing thing - my doctor told me to let pain be my guide. I would walk with crutches, then eventually went full weight bearing just about the time you are now. I had a little walking boot to wear on my hard cast. Then, at three months, I was put in the boot and told to go back to non weight bearing to partial weight bearing. That was torture! I'm now at almost 4 weeks in the boot and I'm back to full weight bearing as I can tolerate. I worked out in the pool today, so I'm pretty much non weight bearing tonight since the pain is so bad, but tomorrow I'll be fine again.

It's a slow recovery, and painful, but just keep at it every day and eventually you'll be back to normal. I tell myself this every day. Normal is a long, long way away for me!

Old 06-28-2009, 04:31 AM   #5
(male)

Paddlejunky HB User

I am just over 6 months post PTTD with two screws. As others have said, everyone is different with their speed of recovery. I did 4 weeks of PT, 3 times a week. I could have extended it under my insurance another two weeks but didn't feel it necessary as I was doing a lot on my own. For me, recovery has been successful because I go at it aggressively. I did declare that after 32 years of running, no more. All the therapists and a podiatrist said the same thing. The surgeon was non-committal but common sense tells me that the heel and foot should no longer be subjected to that pounding. So I got an elliptical and alternate between a stationary bike and the elliptical for daily workouts. I also do toe raises on the surgery foot because I find post surgery I can barely lift my heel to stand on my toes using just the surgery foot. So at six months except for running I can do whatever I want. Just returned from a vacation where on one day I walked about 5 miles and rode my bike 30. However recovery is not complete. There is still swelling, numbness, and tingling from the knee down. The surgery foot sometimes feels 20 degrees warmer than the non-surgery foot. I questioned the surgeon about the seemingly slowing or stopping of noticable progress the last couple of months. I was seeing steady improvement for about 4 months post surgery. He said that nerve regeneration is a very slow process and to expect a year for full recovery. He also said the numbness is a carryover from the nerve block administered at surgery. So back to your question...I think PT is helpful. You can learn a lot of exercises and techniques that you can do on your own. Good luck. This whole thing has been much more than I anticipated, quite the recovery effort.

Closed Thread