It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2009, 10:08 AM   #1
(female)

yaohua HB User
Unbearable pain in tennis shoes

I was allowed to wear tennis (dropped the boot) 6/22 (12 weeks post-op). Ever since that time, my foot hurts. It started out minor pain until the last few days severe pain. Oddily, the pain does not come from incisions, but on top of my foot, which is an area that had no cut or screws. Last night, the pain and swell were incrediable, I took some pictures and wrote an email to my OS first thing this morning. Five minutes after I sent the mail, his office called and wanted me to see him this afternoon. I am back in boot and will see him this afternoon.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User
Re: Unbearable pain in tennis shoes

I never could wear tennis shoes comfortably post-op. I still rarely wear them. I have the same pain on the top of my foot. Now I know it is from the deep peroneal nerve because of tests I have had. It is possible that this nerve was irritated during your surgery or it could just be putting pressure on your foot from the shoelaces. I had to wear Crocs or open backed shoes for a year. I can wear shoes now that are a "full shoe" but only certain brands and styles. But tennis shoes are the absolute worst thing for my foot and they have been ever since my first surgery 3 1/2 years ago.

Let us know what your doctor says. I know this is discouraging. Hang in there.

emmie

Last edited by emmie54; 07-01-2009 at 03:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2009, 04:24 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

Oh how sad for you to be in this much pain. I also can't wear tennis shoe's mostly from the incisions. I went out and bought crocs and love them. I also have a pair of ecco sandals that work pretty well. For me anything that touches the incisions is terrible, I think in time it will get better. Let us know what the doc says.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:42 PM   #4
(female)

yaohua HB User

I waited for 2 hours in his office, finally I got to see him. It was not his fault b/c today is his surgery day, no clinic hours. They made an exception to see me after I emailed him about my foot pain and swell. I had a set of three x-rays taken to compare with the ones taken more than a week ago. He told me that the x-rays did not show anything wrong. All nails/screws are still at the same spots. He thinks that the transition from boot to tennis shoes is a big change from the operated foot. Swell and pain usually come with the transition. He could not tell why I would have severe pain. He suggested that I ease into the boot from now. Increase the hours I wear tennis shoes everyday, until wearing it full-time, and see him again in two weeks. My pain actually eased up a little bit a few hours after I went back to boot. I think I can judge better the next few days to see if these part-time schedule of wearing boot would help.

Talking about tennis shoes, the day (6/22) I was allowed to drop boot I brought in my old tennis (actually athletic shoes) to the office. He said that was good because it has better support, plus my orthotics fit inside very well. It was funny that day b/c I pointed to his shoes and asked "can I wear what you wear"? He said, "no". I asked "why ?". He said, "because I don't have a foot problem." Well, he had a pair of crocs on that day. I believe crocs must be very comfortable b/c many people on this board have recommended them. In fact, I could not get in my old size 7 tennis shoes now b/c of the swell. With what I have to put in the shoes, socks, light weight ankle brace, orthotics, no wonder my size 7 does not fit me any more. Well, I am now wearing my husband's tennis shoes, size 8, two inserts (original inserts plus my custom made orthotics).

I feel relief a little bit after seeing my doctor today. I hope my pain will ease up in the next few days. Thank you all for caring, and it was good to know your experiences also.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:21 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I found tennis shoes to not be substanial enough after I was out of the surgical shoe. I wore clog type Merrells' because the sole was sturdier. And I didn't have to bend my toe to slide into them. You might try something like that or a Dansko.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:47 PM   #6
(female)

yaohua HB User

I am in a lot of pain today. It is unbearable! Although the x-rays showed fine on healing yesterday, I think that something is wrong. I could put up some pain, but this is horrible to tolerate. I want to cry! If I don't get any improvement, I may have to bother my OS again tomorrow. He has reminded me several times that it takes 10 to 12 months to get well. I understood it very well, I am willing to go through this much time. But this pain is killing me. I am back in boot most of time today.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:42 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am sooo sorry you are going through this. My doc doesn't like Crocs either but I'm telling you, those are the only things that didn't hurt my foot for about six months. The only other shoe is the slide in open back type. Also, my orthotics hurt me after surgery. After all, they were made for the way the foot was prior to surgery. The shape of your foot has changed. Have you tried not wearing the orthotics? If you decide to try the Crocs, get the Crocs brand, not a knock-off, as they do have a pretty good arch in them.

Are you still on pain meds? Some people just have more pain than others. I took pain meds daily until after I had my hardware out (six months) After that I took them as needed. My doctor was wonderful about not giving me a hard time about pain medicine. I was very responsible with it and I'm sure that was obvious so, no problem.

One other suggestion: (I'm full of them tonight!!) I purchased, but you can rent, a machine that pumps ice water around your ankle. You put your foot in a boot type thing that is attached to the machine with a tube. You fill the machine with ice and water and it acts sort of like a bilge pump, pumping the ice water through the boot. It is wonderful. I still use it in fact. It also has attachments for other body parts.

I really hope you get some relief.

hugs,

emmie

Old 07-02-2009, 09:04 PM   #8
(female)

yaohua HB User

Emmie54,
First of all, thanks for your kind words and suggestions. So many people on this board had suggested Crocs. I am going to look into it and find a pair that I can get the orthotics in place. Talking about orthotics, I still have my orthotics made before surgery, but I had it adjusted (based on my OS's new prescription) for the use for after surgery just two days ago. How they did to modify the orthotics was adding more support on the inside (from big toe through arch to heel). Personally, I don't know how accurate it is. I just feel that there is more padding from that area. I only used for 3 days and can't tell if it is helping b/c I have been having pain for the last 10 days. I am still hoping that since I am in boot part-time now, maybe I will start feeling better. But the thing is that I will have to be off boot eventually. I can't rely on boot for too long.
I have 3 more pain pills (Darvocet) left. (He prescribed 10.) Of course, I still have leftover pain pills from surgery. I don't usually like to take pain pills until I absolutely need them. If Ibuprofen works, I will not ask for more Darvocet once they are gone.
You just reminded me the ice pump machine. Actually, I have one when I had knee surgery two years ago. All I have to do is to purchase (maybe online) an attachment for ankle/foot. I remember it worked real well with my knee before. This is a good idea. I'll look for it in my garage.
Thanks again. I felt a little better tonight after I iced my foot for a while. Tomorrow is another day.........

Old 07-03-2009, 03:27 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glad to hear your day is better. It is a long and difficult journey, but you'll make it!

Old 07-04-2009, 12:53 PM   #10
(female)

mary2 HB User

yaohua I am sorry you are having such pain. My pt said she would gradually have me transition into shoes, maybe the sudden change started your pain and with a more gradual transition your foot will respond better.
My Dr does not want me to take ibuprophen since he says it interfers with bone growth. You are farther along than I am and I don't know if all Drs agree with that caution.
I also do not like taking pain meds but when I was put into this walking boot I was not told to use crutches so I just kept on walking and oh what pain I stirred up and now that I use the crutches more the pain is tolerable. I used darvocet then in the afternoons and will again when needed. I hope the ice machine helps. Let us know. May look into one.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:24 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

yaohua,
Hope that your pain is less today. I agree with the others about shoes get into them slowly. I couldn't let anything touch the heel incision. Hench the crocs and they are wonderful.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:54 PM   #12
(female)

yaohua HB User

Walleye, Mary, and Emmie,

Thank you for all your best wishes. I am feeling a little better yesterday and today b/c I was on boot more than shoes. My husband and I drove to Austin, TX to see my son. We spent Friday night at his house and came back home today. The 3 hours road trip each way was ok. I elevated my foot in the car. I massaged my foot in the care. I even took ice pack with me to ice the foot. I tried very hard not to take pain pills.

The thing that worrys me was that my foot pain did not come from the three incisions. I have no pain on those incisions. The pain covers the areas from the roots of the 4 toes up to the ankle and outside of the foot. This area has no screws and no cut. Since now I am feeling better with boot, I think the pain probably comes from the way I walk and the weight bearing. I remember when I had the hard cast, my doctor told his assistant to wrap my foot with the outside area downward a little in the cast. Now that I am out of cast, the foot is trying to get back to it natural or orginial position, which caused pain. This is my theory, I don't know if it is right. Definitely, I am going to ease my feet into the shoes now. So far it seems working. I am having less pain.

Thanks, and hope you all have a great 4th weekend.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:09 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Just curious...do you wear your orthotics in the boot?

Old 07-05-2009, 08:59 PM   #14
(female)

yaohua HB User

Yes, I was told to wear my pre-surgery orthotics in boot during the six weeks I was in boot. After boot, I wore the same orthotics in tennis shoes for one week. Since I had so much pain walking in tennis shoes, I was told to go back to boot and eased into the tennis shoes. However, I have only one pair of orthotics, so I had to put orthotics in whatever I wear to walk.

About a week after the tennis shoes, I got a chance to have my pre-surgery orthotics adjusted/modified to fit my after surgery foot. More support was added to my pre-surgery orthotics. Right now I am wearing the adjusted/modified orthotics in boot or tennis shoes. I still have pain walking in tennis shoes. However, it is not as intense as it was at the first week. Right now, I am wearing tennis shoes half-time, and boot half-time. I am really going to ease into the tennis shoes full-time. The foot still swells and I am still ice and elevate it at night. I wanted to try a pair of Crocs in store, but have not had a chance. In a way, I am afraid of shopping b/c I don't really want to walk too much, either in shoes or boot.

Closed Thread