It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2009, 11:08 AM   #1
(female)

Debbie 46 HB User
Jones Fracture

I have a Jones fracture of my left foot and it has been 7 months, since it happened. The othro doc wants me to look into an electric stimulator? Has anyone used an elelctric stimulator? I have to bear weight on the left foot quite a bit as I have a bad right hip. If the electric stimulator does not work then it is surgery.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:22 AM   #2
(female)

relteach HB User
Re: Jones Fracture

Hi Debbie,

Sorry to hear about your jones fracture. I totally understand--I had a jones fracture of my right foot two years ago and I learned more in 7 months about the foot than I ever thought I could learn. I was in a cast from March to July and boot from July to Oct. Are you in a boot? I understand about the need to bear weight on your fractured foot because of your hip, but bearing weight puts too much pressure on the 5th met and keeps the ends of the bone separate so calcification is difficult, if not, impossible. A bone stimulator actually brings more blood flow to that area of the foot so healing can accelerate. However, if the fractured part of the bone is always in motion due to weight on it, it cannot heal.
Is your doc a foot and ankle surgeon? Not every foot doc has experience with jones fractures, so you may want to ask how frequently the doc has treated this type of fracture. It is a unique and difficult fracture to manage because of the lengthy healing time and high possibility of surgical intervention. I had a choice of surgery at the outset or old fashion cast and non-weightbearing. I chose the latter and I am glad I did. I used a wheel chair and crutches to get around. You could help yourself alot by using a wheel chair to stay totally off the foot. Doing that, with the bone stimulator, would help healing alot. Bone stimulators are expensive and, today, many insurance companies will not approve them. I was denied one by my health insurance provider. I just waited and took the time to heal and things are fine now.

Hope all goes well. Let us know how you are doing!

Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread