It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
(female)

mstreet2379 HB User
Angry S/P OATS 2 months: Osteotomy Slipped

Well, I'm completely bummed. At this point I regret the surgery. We decided to proceed with the surgery with a goal of pain releif. And it's only made things worse. It's been one thing after another. My incision wasn't healing as my body had rejected a small area of the internal sutures which caused a mild infection. (Only requiring triple anti-biotic ointment) So, I couldn't wear the boot for a while because it dug into where the wound wasn't healing from this infection. Therefor, the ankle almost started to "fuse" itself at a 10 degree angle downward, so when the incision DID heal, I couldn't put the boot on without excruciating pain because it pushed the foot/ankle upward. So, I was still without the boot when my crutch slipped on our wet deck and I went down hard onto the operative foot/ankle and it was one of the worst pains I've ever felt. Prior to this, I'd been having increased pain, decreased mobility, they were unwilling to re-fill scripts for painkillers and I called nearly demanding a CT, as the X-rays were looking good. Well, the day after the fall, I went in and the X-ray showed a slipped osteotomy - and suprise - I did need a CT for additional views of the osteotomy. They gave me a prescription for Percocet. When this ran out I called requesting more and they would only give me Vicodin, which I've been using for nearly 8 months and I've expressed to them that it's not helping any more. So, again, the Vicodin is gone and they won't give me another refill... of ANYTHING for that matter... and I'm in miserable pain. I can honestly see why people with chronic pain commit suicide. My OS is on vacation until the end of the month so I can't have surgery to repair the slipped osteotomy until early August. In the mean time, I'm in pain. In addition, after being on pain killers so long, and now not having anything, I'm going through withdrawl. So, between the pain and vomiting... I'm bleeping miserable. And I just wonder... what's the point of taking me off the pain meds now when I'm going to undergo another surgery in 3 more weeks... and they're going to put me right back on pain killers then... all for me to end up going through another withdrawl. I understand I'm going to go through withdrawl when this is all said and done... buy why now? Why twice? Why when I'm still in pain? But mostly what I want to know... is WHY am I still in pain? What in the hell is wrong? Or is everyone still in pain @ 2+ months? This is unbeleiveable.

Has anyone else had their osteotomy slip? Have to re-operate? What should I expect with this surgery? Will there be another cast? Is it as invasive as the OATS procedure???

Last edited by mstreet2379; 07-08-2009 at 02:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

akirka HB User
Re: S/P OATS 2 months: Osteotomy Slipped

mstreet,

I am so sorry! I slipped and fell 3 weeks after surgery and thougt I may have done some damage and I was in a cast! Fortunately everything was ok. I also had a long time for my sutures to close totally - maybe 6 weeks so I understand that too. But I've been very fortunate that everything healed alright in the end. This isn't the OATS procedure - can't they get a diiferent OS to repair your osteotomy sooner than 3 weeks? That seems like a crazy amount of time to wait with the bone healing in an incorrect position. And you've got screws probably out of whack - that has to be painful and good reason for prescribing painkillers. I understand the reluctance to avoid people getting hooked but we're talking bone sawing and such and that needs painkillers for sure. I hope you can get this resolved quickly. Repair by a different surgeon would be my first thought. I'm thinking if you can get past all this horrible stuff, in the end you may still have a very good outcome with OATS. After I slipped, I was very paranoid and used my wheelchair a lot until I knew my bones were healed. I would play it very safe for sure! Don't give up!

Abby

Old 07-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #3
(female)

anklehelp HB User
Re: S/P OATS 2 months: Osteotomy Slipped

Hi mstreet,

I'm sorry to hear about all of this! How frustrating. I wish I could send you my painkillers, I have lots of leftover because, YES...I had a "slipped osteotomy" and had to have a second surgery. I didn't fall though. I'm not sure what happened. Mine happened at one month post op though, and I didn't even know it until I went to see my doctor for a check up. They took an x-ray, then immediately ordered a CT scan and told me somehow one of the screws had shifted and my bones had also shifted out of place. So, just like that, my doctor opened my still healing incision, and re-did the ORIF (open reduction internal fixation). So he removed the screws, repositioned my bones, screwed them back. I was pretty bummed for a while. But that surgery was not nearly intense as the OATS. I recovered much faster, and had less swelling than the first time around. My wound also healed faster, maybe cause of the decreased swelling.
Abby, is right, maybe you should look for another doctor to do this, three weeks is a long time, considering bones take approximately six weeks to heal.

Best of luck... hang in there, at least it isn't the OATS that's the problem.

Closed Thread