It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2009, 08:38 AM   #1
(female)

bumankle HB User
OCD can you wear heels?

Abby - or anyone else who is well into their recovery...Are you able to wear any kind of heels?? Forgive me if this is a stupid question. I haven't worn heels in years bc of my OCD and will forever have a hard time accepting that those days are over. But I was wondering if anyone had any success?

Hope everyone is having a GOOD day!!

Old 05-21-2009, 10:31 AM   #2
(female)

sarkin HB User
Re: OATS Talus update 5

bumankle (cute name )

My injury was 3 years ago and I have yet to wear heels, and I am short. I really wish that I could Maybe some day.....

A question to all of you. I am curious as to how many of your ankles "click". My ankle clicks like crazy! The pain that started last week isn't any better. Any stepping to the right (surgery was on my left ankle) causes such an intense pain that only radiates for a little while. The pain is just a little bit off from my incision. I hate to call my doc. My goal was to not see any docs this year. I really wanted to pay off all my medical bills before I did anything!

have a great day

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2009, 11:53 AM   #3
(female)

anklehelp HB User

Bumankle, I often wonder the same thing! Although for me, I was fine wearing heels with my injury! It was flip flops or flat sandals that would make my ankle hurt. So I'm hoping to be able to wear flip flops...haven't worn them in a long time. How's recovery going? Aren't you flying somewhere soon?

Old 05-21-2009, 12:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

No heels here for me. It hurts like heck before and after this surgery.

My ankle crunches, clicks, and feels like it is going through some type of gear when I step. It never was this loud before.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:26 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

akirka HB User

Hey guys -

Before OATS there was no way I could wear heels, I couldn't even wear regular shoes they were so irritating. Now that my foot feels great I 'could' wear heels but I really have no desire to do so. Of course I live in MT in a very rural place and people would look at you weird if you wore fancy shoes with heels. That makes the shoe choice much easier and much more comfortable. The thought of walking with unnatural pressure/angle on my talus is not something I want to try but I'm thinking if you really want to wear heels it would be ok. Like I said before, I jog, hike, walk and have no pain anymore but I won't be looking to abuse my foot either.

I don't have any clicking in my ankle - maybe a bit when I first started WB bit it went away. My knee still clicks from time to time and it's not painful but annoying. When I first started WB my foot 'popped' all over as it was trying to return to a normal shape and strength. It was painful but that went away after a few months.

I'm excited for the holiday weekend. I live in an area with all these beautiful trails and I've not been able to hike most of them until now. The rivers are running fast so I'm going to go see these beautiful waterfalls for the first time - about a 4 mile hike. Too cool!!

Have a great weekend ladies!

Abby

Old 05-22-2009, 04:10 PM   #6
(female)

dizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB User

So jealous Any extra rooms?

Old 05-26-2009, 05:34 AM   #7
(female)

bumankle HB User

Liz - thats crazy about flips flops vs heels! It obviously has a lot to do with the actual location of the lesion. Mine was bone on bone action if i wore heels. Ouch! Yes - i am flying this weekend. This big ole boot is not going to fit behind a regular seat and I am really hoping someone will give up a seat up front with more leg room. Should i be anticipating a lot of pain/pressure/swelling in the foot? Not excited about this. Although things have gotten a lot easier these days. I am 5 weeks out. I can tolerate my foot being down a lot longer than before when i had to keep it elavated most the time. Next week is my 6 week follow up and I hope that I will start to begin weight bearing!!

Old 05-26-2009, 07:49 AM   #8
(female)

anklehelp HB User

Hi bumankle,

Well since you are 5 weeks out flying shouldn't be as uncomfortable as it was for me! I flew one week post op and it wasn't so much painful ( I took two vicodin) but my foot did swell more than on land. Good thing is I was traveling with my husband so I would take breaks and prop my leg on his lap. I called the airline in advance and they assigned the seats with most leg room for me which helped. I also used the courtesy wheel chairs at the airport and that got me through security fast! My flight was about four hours total with an hour layover in between so it was a bit of a hassle! You'll be fine I'm sure!

Abby or someone,
I am now 10 weeks post op. I am finally pwb and suspect I will be fwb in two weeks or so. I do ankle pumps 3x day for 20 min. I am a little concerned with my ROM. My foot is still pretty stiff when I dorsiflex ( pointing toes to me) and plantar flex ( pointing toes down ). Will PT help with this? Or is this all I'm gonna get?! How am i supposed to regain muscle like this? My foot feels pretty stiff! Also, when were you guys allowed to make circles with your ankle? I don't think I could do that with mine even if I was allowed! I also still have
swelling in my knee and ankle. Im guessing that's ok right?
Thanks you guys for any info!

Old 06-02-2009, 01:50 PM   #9
(female)

bumankle HB User

Liz -

You are partially weightbearing right? In a boot? If so, do you still sleep with the boot? What were your instructions as far as sleeping w or w/o the boot on? I sleep w this boot on, its so uncomfortable!

Old 06-02-2009, 07:30 PM   #10
(female)

anklehelp HB User

Hi bumankle,
I know what you mean about sleeping! I've been sleeping on my back with tons of pillows for nearly three months! And the boot to top it off! My doctor said to sleep with the boot until FWB. I started FWB one week ago and just slept without the boot for the first time last night. It was wonderful. . How are you doing? When can u PWB? Or are you PWB already?

Old 06-03-2009, 05:41 AM   #11
(female)

bumankle HB User

Im doing well. I just started PWB! Very exciting...can't wait to lose these crutches! How long did it take you to go from partial to FWB? And now that you are FWB do you shower standing on both feet? (sounds like a funny question). I always sit or take a bath. Im wondering when I could actually stand - both feet in shower. ha. How much longer will you walk in boot? Once I ditch the crutches I will have another 4 weeks of just walking in boot.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:48 AM   #12
(female)

anklehelp HB User

Bumnkle,

Yay! You're PWB! Isn't it exciting to move past the NWB? I was amazed at how much more I could do with just PWB. Suddenly making myself a cup of tea was a tad easier. My doctor told me it could take me up to a month to FWB. He wanted me to gradually increase my weight bearing each day. I would say it took me about three weeks. I was really slow with it and just paced myself. I finally let go of the crutches this past Sunday. My doctor went ahead and gave me the ok to start weening myself out of the boot. So I'm working on that. My foot feels funny when it touches the ground. The bottom of my foot, my toes, it's just all achey from not walking on it for three months! I'm still sitting in the shower, I have one of those plastic shower chairs. I think I'll continue to sit until I feel more confident. I don't want the water and soap to make me slip, fall and break my skinny bone you know? I think I'll continue to sit in the shower until my leg feels strong. I also started physical therapy this week. My PT is working on getting my ROM back right now, it's just easy right now, no exercises in standing or anything like that. He says eventually he's gonna have me walk on a treadmill, with an unloader. It's like a swing looking thing you wear like a diaper that attaches to the ceiling somehow. It takes some of the weight off your body and allows you to walk without a limp. He says that'll help me get rid of the limp sooner than later. Sounds interesting! Can't wait for that. I don't know if you already have a therapist in mind, but my doctor recommended I see a physical therapist certified in manual therapy, or FAAOMPT. They have more experience with mobilizations and other manual techniques.
So I have a question for you, is the sole of your boot really high up? Mine is, and it's so difficult to walk with it. My hip is out of line and does not feel good.

Last edited by anklehelp; 06-03-2009 at 10:49 AM.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:32 PM   #13
(female)

bumankle HB User

Liz -

Congrats to you on being FWB and working on getting out of the boot! Yes - my boot is a couple inches taller at least so I will have wear tennis shoes or a heel or wedge on the other foot to offset it. Definitely tell your therapist about your hip...they should work with you on correcting it. I imagine I will be be having the same problem! That treadmill unloader sounds awesome! Id like to try it. I start therapy this week as well...im ready but I know it will be quite painful!! I bet your foot feels real funny as you put it down. I am so incredibly nervous for that bc I have not walked normal/pain free in sooo long. Until then - i will be happy just to walk in the boot! Good luck in your therapy!

Closed Thread