It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2009, 06:22 AM   #1
(female)

bumankle HB User
OATS - 4 weeks post op

I am almost 4 weeks post op now. Right now im in a boot and crutches. I was in a splint for 2.5 weeks and that was the most uncomfortable ever!! My knee actually hurt the most. ive had 2 prior ankle surgeries and this one is a LOT harder to deal with!! I was off work 2 weeks and wish i had 2 months off work! It was really hard going back to work - luckily i sit at a desk though. Def do the colonoscopy now or much later after recovery. You will not want to do that after surgery - you will not want to do much of anything! Hopefully you will have some help around the house. Get some pads for your crutches, def get the stool softner, do your grocery shopping before surgery, make your place crutch friendly! I put chairs everywhere - in the bathroom, shower, closet, and i also have a stool in the kitchen. I wish you all the best!!

Last edited by Administrator; 07-11-2009 at 03:56 PM.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:12 PM   #2
(female)

anklehelp HB User
Re: OATS Talus update 5

Bumankle...

How are you doing? Are you walking yet?!!!

Last edited by Administrator; 07-11-2009 at 03:53 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2009, 05:49 AM   #3
(female)

bumankle HB User

Yes! Well its taken me about 3 weeks to get off those crutches. This was a LOT harder than i thought it would be. Im walking in the boot. The last couple days ive been sometimes using a cane, im still in quite some pain and I def can't be on walking any long distances. Ive been walking in the pool though!! Its a funny feeling bc i havent walked in so long. Its my knee that feels all funny though. I imagine it will take a long time for my knee to feel normal again. Ive been going to therapy once a week. My therapist does mostly manual therapy on my ankle at this point. WOW. My ankle was sore for days after last week's appt and now I go back on Thursday. My ROM sucks but ive been working on it. I go back to the doctor in 3 weeks (3months post surgery) and that is when I will start to get out of the boot. Im nervous.

How are you doing!?

Old 06-22-2009, 06:37 PM   #4
(female)

anklehelp HB User

Hi bumankle!

Congrats on walking without crutches!!! I think it took me about three weeks or so to let those crutches go. I've been out of the boot for about three weeks now. I've been in PT twice a week for three weeks also. Again, just like you, it's mostly manual therapy, and yes, my ROM sucks too. My PT says it'll take a long time to come back. I'm also walking in a pool, about four times a week, and I have found that it really helps me walk better on land. When I first got out of the boot, my foot was extremely sore for about two weeks. My peroneal muscles were especially sore. I felt like I was walking on bones. Everything hurt. I still get a little sore here and there, but it's gotten a lot better in the past week. The good thing is, the OCD pain is gone. All the pain I feel is from stiffness, soreness, swelling, you know. As Abby suggested, I bought some walking shoes that were a size too big. I put some soft inserts in there and it has really made a difference! I also wrap my foot from my foot to just below my knee (it helps with my swelling). My foot is still swollen, especially after spending a full day on my feet. But once I prop it up and ice the swelling goes down. Yeah, my knee still feels funny and stiff too. Oh, and I walk with a cane only for long distances. My PT says it'll help get rid of my limp sooner than later. I'm so glad we have the hard part behind us!!! Yay!

Closed Thread