It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2009, 06:14 AM   #1
(female)

Pam Beeson HB User
Cigna just approved the allograft

HI everyone;
I had surgery (subtalar joint with bone graft) (cadaver bone) on 2-2-2009 third fusion
had final cast removed on 5-8-09 have walking boot now next appt is 6-12-2009
seems to feel real good can walk pretty well in boot so far no swelling and not a whole lot of pain. first two fusions were in 2003 last one came apart about 1 year ago still not sure why. just hope this one stays together (different doctor now) also never had bone graft before. sure feels alot different than the first two seems to be alot tighter than before almost feels like other foot only thing i notice is that i still limp a little think maybe that is because it is still new and have to work on tendons and ligaments to get back strong again. i am hoping not to have the limp anymore but if i do then i guess it is better than all the pain and swelling i had before. hope this helps some to not get to discouraged it just takes time good luck to all and sorry to hear some of you still have problems your posts have all helped me get through this (again). also doctor says maybe no pt he feels they sometimes undo things he has fixed will have to see next time i have a visit. good luck to all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2009, 06:34 AM   #2
(female)

dbast HB User
Re: OATS Talus update 5

I am with Kim, as I also haven't posted due to bad news. My insurance co has yet again denied this. My OS did a peer to peer and he and I both had requested it be with an Ortho, but instead the guy was a Family Practice physician! This Dr referred him to s/w the Ortho on staff, but due to the rule of only being allowed one peer to peer, we are having problems getting this done. Supposedly we will hear something tomorrow, so we'll see. I did ask him though, what my options are if this gets denied and he said I have none. He said "you will just have to walk around until this thing collapses, which won't be too far off, and then we'll be looking at fusion or replacement." I can quote that because I remember it vividly as it scared the crap out of me. Now I feel like a walking time bomb!!! He said he absolutely will not do an autograft b/c of the size of the lesion (20mm) due to the morbitity it would cause to my knee by taking that much. He and his office manager both suggested (in round about ways) that I s/w an attorney about a)the insurance company and b)the previous OS letting this go. I really don't want to get into the whole legal battles, I just want this fixed!! I am taking meds daily for pain and swelling and the pain is getting worse. I've noticed lately that it hurts real bad when I push the brake in the car...I realized this when I noticed that I switch to using my left foot for the brake sometimes. This is ridiculous!! So, maybe I will have better news tomorrow, but I am not counting on it. The insurance company says this is the final step we can take.

Dawn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2009, 07:08 AM   #3
(female)

Pam Beeson HB User

Dawn;
Not sure what is going on with your insurance but it seems they just screwed you by using a family physician and not another ortho doc for the peer to peer consult that just doesn't seem right. sounds like the insurance co. doesn't want to work with you very well if it was me i would push it for another consult with the peer to peer consult and make sure they use an ortho doc this time preferably one that specializes in foot and ankle surgeries. maybe you will have to get an attorney. so sorry for all your troubles with insurance especially when you have pain it really seems to intensify things. try to hang in there keep on insurance co. until they do it right if it was me i would be making some calls all day every day you can't live in all that pain your feet are what keep things going. p.s get a copy of all medical records from doctors you have seen. I had to just to get the workers comp insurance company to do my surgery this seemed to help when it went to the court originally to have the surgery done case had been closed from insurance had to go through all that stuff just to get case reopened injury never did heal after 2 years of shots and pt it seemed like it took insurance forever to get things moving again. but i stayed on it daily persistance paid off in my case. good luck hang in there. ps also to many pain meds can mess up your stomach especially nsaids. not good for long periods of time it won't only be your foot that is causing you problems keep good records just in case you might need them if it has to go to a court for action.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:16 AM   #4
(female)

dbast HB User

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!! After all this fighting and argueing (?).....Cigna just approved the allograft AND I do not see any stipulations or exclusions to the approval. Yesterday, my OS office called and said that they were finally able to s/w the Dr we had been trying to get ahold of for a week (this was the doc they told us was their OS) and guess what.....he is an OB/GYN!!!! So, he upheld the denial also b/c he has no clue about this stuff but also said we need to s/w an Ortho and that he would pass the message along but would not give a time frame on if or when the OS would call. Well, I called Cigna (I cheated and took the provider routes throught the phone) and s/w this doc's office and gave them a piece of my mind about the runaround we have been getting and told them I was going to call an attorney today. Well, I get to work today and MY OS office calls me and says the approval letter was on their fax when they walked in this AM. Can you belive that??????

Old 05-14-2009, 09:12 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

YEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so happy for you! See! It is worth it to keep pestering them. Way to go!

Old 05-14-2009, 04:26 PM   #6
(female)

dizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB User

Congrats !! When is the big day?

Old 05-14-2009, 07:28 PM   #7
(female)

dbast HB User

Next Friday...May 22. Okay Ladies....give me the goods. What do I need to do now? What should my priorities be during this next week to make sure I am prepared? Oh yeah, I went to my GP yesterday and now have to go get a colonoscopy due to a couple findings of blood where you don't want to see it. Yes, let's add some more stress right!! You know, I've always said that God doesn't give you any more than you can handle but......I'm beginning to think He has waaaayyyyyyy too much trust in me!!!! Anyway, my GP said I could put it off until I am up and about again after this surgery but my concern is that they pump you with versed and I'm not sure I could maneuver the crutches while happy on versed. What are your thoughts?

Old 05-14-2009, 07:37 PM   #8
(female)

demogoat HB User

Congratulations!!

My opinion would be to quick get the colonoscopy before you have the OATS. I don't have much good to say about the first 8 weeks after OATS and I would not want to be worrying about having that test done while recovering.

Get you first floor living space set up now!

Margaret

PS You won't be able to take ibuprofen for awhile so make sure you have acetaminophen for when you get off the prescriptions pain killers. And about those prescription pain killers, you will need a stool softener to go with them.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:59 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

Wow! That is fast!
I agree with Margaret, get the colonoscopy done now. It isn't THAT bad, I've had it done a few years ago. The recovery is nothing at all, it is the prep that you don't want to do on crutches. If you can get it done, it is one less thing to worry about.

Do your grocery shopping now. Get some comfy crutch covers. Get your handicap placard now, if you can.

Do you have a cast cover for the shower? That is a life saver, although at first I had to use a trash bag because my splint was so big. So make sure you have heavy duty trash bags and tape.

Can you get a shower chair? My insurance paid for mine. They hooked me up with home health at the hospital to get one to take home.

Good luck!

Closed Thread