It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2009, 11:18 AM   #1
(female)

tikvahla HB User
I am 54 years old and can barely walk...

help...

I am 54 years old and can barely walk ... I was injured in a market after a display fell on me. I had a surgery last year. The doctor says there is zero cartilege. So, now I need a toe fusion surgery. I was thinking of getting a synvex injection first?? Has anybody tried that? I am in pain all the time. I can barely walk. I am so scared of the fusion. Will I be able to wear beloved flip flops? Does this surgery hurt a lot? Will I have awful ugly scars? Can I wear heals after the surgery? Has anybody ever used Dr. Ferkal at SCOI?

I wish I could get as much feedback as possible.
Thanks

Sharon

Old 07-13-2009, 04:24 PM   #2
(female)

BUNIONPAIN HB User
Re: Big Toe Fusion

Hello, I am 28 years old and can barely walk. I understand your frustration. I don't know a whole lot about toe fusion personally. I was considering having it done a few months back but had something else done instead. But from what I understand the recovery is very long. You will be non-weightbearing for at least 6 weeks. You might be able to wear flip flops, I have heard some say they can and other say they can't. Heels have to be 2 inches and below, depending on what angle they fuse your toe. Your toe will stick up off the ground. I have that now without a toe fusion and I will tell you from my opinion it is annoying. But maybe I will get used to it.

I don't know much else personally, but open a thread on here and you will a lot of response from people who have had it done.

Best of luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2009, 05:18 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: I am 54 years old and can barely walk...

What is SCOI? Where is it located? Where are you?

Old 07-13-2009, 11:24 PM   #4
(female)

tikvahla HB User

hi....
scoi... is southern california ortopedic institute.
thanks...

Old 07-13-2009, 11:26 PM   #5
(female)

tikvahla HB User
Re: Big Toe Fusion

thank you for your reply. i really appreciate it. i feel worse for you since you are only 28. what did you do and how are you now? thanks

sharon

Old 07-14-2009, 05:45 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Sharon: Dr. Ferkel's CV looks excellent...has all the right certifications and went to good schools. I'd give him a try. The only other suggestion I have is to find out who does the Lakers' foot work.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:19 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

Sharon,

welcome to the board.! Just curious...what was your injury exactly? What kind of surgery have you had already? I was just curious how something falling on you would cause you to have no cartilage? Is it due to accelerated arthritis because of the surgery?

emmie

Old 07-14-2009, 10:27 PM   #8
(female)

tikvahla HB User

Hi ....
I had a chylectomy and at that time... he said there is no cartlege. I have been in horrible pain since the accident. It has been since 2007 I was in a store and a large display fell on me. I never had a problem before that, and I have been in pain ever since. Perhaps it is worse after the surgery. I have had cortozone injections. I am thinking of getting synvex shot to stall the surgery. What do you think? I really appreciate your input.
Thanks so much
sharon

Old 07-15-2009, 05:36 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

If there was no cartilege at the time of the surgery, I'm surprised they did a cheilectomy. There has to be some left for that procedure to be successful. I'm assuming you aren't going back to that doctor!

Old 07-15-2009, 07:58 AM   #10
(female)

tikvahla HB User

well, yes i am. he did know. the mri did not show how badly the toe was until he was in there? what do you think? i sleep with ice, take vicodin, wear ace bandages and hobble like i am 80. i have been trying to hold off for the big surgery until sept. do you know about synvex. my ins. won' pay since it has not been approved for the toe. but, i thought it was worth a try. any more thoughts? thanks... sharon

Old 07-15-2009, 08:35 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

If there is no cartilege left, nothing will help keep the joint mobile. Some folks have done implants but the track record on that is rather poor from what I understand. I don't think the technology is where it needs to be yet for a joint that small and that handles so much weight (the big toe balances your whole body)...like say for hips or knees.

Anyway, there are lots of people here who've had successful fusions. Th etoe will be fixed at a small angle so that you can push off on it. You can wear flip flops and low heels - no 3" or 4" ones though. Height depends on the angle of the fix. And people sometimes have problems with getting that toe into certain styles of shoes. But those are the things you should talk with your surgeon about. Down time depends on whether or not any hardware is used in the fusion and how long the joint takes to actually fuse. You'll be NWB all that time. It all needs be discussed with your surgeon ahead of time.

I don't know anything about synvex. The only other suggestion I have for you (besides the ones about the doctor in previous post) is to try a pair of MBT shoes and see if that helps keep the toe off the ground. Sketchers has come out with a knock off style you might try but I don't know anyone who has used it.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:05 AM   #12
(female)

my sore feet HB User
Wink Re: I am 54 years old and can barely walk...

Hi

I am 52 and had my right big toe fused Feb 4,09 after many years of pain. I originally saw a podiatrist that was way over his head with my feet problems. I ended up with a great ortho surgeon specializing in feet, that's very important. The doc should have been able to see what stage your problem was meaning stage 1, not much cartilege damage to stage 4 no cartilege left and if that's the case fusing is really your only realistic option. I'm pretty sure my doc would not do a cheilectomy on a stage 4. If you are still in that much pain, please do not do injections, it's only a very temporary bandaid and you will just prolong the inevitable which is fusing that bad joint.

The recovery is quite long, for me 11 weeks nwb then 4 weeks in a walking boot, but almost 6 mos later i can't believe i'm walking with no pain. If you want more details about the surgery and/or recovery i'd like to offer that, but in the mean time just remember if they told you that there is no cartilege left then you will never be without pain until you fuse it, in my opinion anyway. Believe me, i tried it all before the fusion.

Read the post i just wrote under "Hallux Rigidus". That gal is pretty much going feeling the same way you are, it might help to read what people have written to her.

Take care and keep on these posts, they do help.

Brenda

Old 07-15-2009, 08:21 PM   #13
(female)

tikvahla HB User

Hi there.
Thank you so much for your reply. It was really helpful. Before I had the chiloectomy.. I had an MRI. The MRI did not indicate it was so bad. He did not see there was no cartiledge until he went in there. I just had a catscan... Dr. Ferkal says that I should have the toe fusion. I was hoping to wait a while. 'But, my toe is always throbbing and seems to be getting more swollen. You really don't think I should try the synvex? I know I need a fusion. I live in a two story house. I take baths. I don't want to gain wait. It is hard I hardly eat and I gain. Why am I telling you all this. Is it normal for it to be so swollen? Also, it hurts like crazy when someone touches it. I read your other post. This is all helpful. Where do you live? Who was your doctor? This has all affected my life so much and ridiculous!! I wish it was a hand... I need my foot!!
Thank you for any information. I appreciate it so much. Sharon

Old 07-16-2009, 05:51 AM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

Ok, some of what you say about your living arrangements is either irrelevant or have options. I can do stairs with crutches so that's doable. Also, many people just go up and down on their "bum" so to speak. Or you can always sleep on the sofa for a few weeks. It cna be worked around. And you can take baths...there is this wonderful product called a "cast cover" available at almost any drug store. I used one with both my foot surgeries and had no problems bathing. You have to sit on the side of the tub and sort of slide in or have help but the cast cover works great. I didn't gain weight with either surgery nor when I was NWB because of a broken foot. In fact, I probably lost because I just wasn't all that hungry during that time.

And looking at that doctor's CV, I'd do whatever he recommended. He has a really good background and experience. Take his advice.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:12 AM   #15
(female)

tikvahla HB User

Thanks for your input.
I find it all helpful.
Sorry I sound so scared.

Closed Thread