It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2009, 07:37 AM   #1
(female)

Poppy12345 HB User
Do I really need a cast on a broken ankle??

Hi, I've just been told I have a break to my ankle called posterior malleolus. I am far too scared to have it put in plaster as this gives me a blood clot, so I am letting it heal naturally. Any idea how long this will take? Please don't tell me to have it put in plaster as the last time I did this I nearly died. I told the hospital this but they weren't interested. There was just a small chip in the bone, hardly anything. It's extremely painful and I can't really walk a week on.
Thanks.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Do I really need a cast on a broken ankle??

Why not put it in an air cast that you can take off periodically?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2009, 07:49 AM   #3
(female)

Poppy12345 HB User

Never heard of an air cast!!
I presume the hospital would have them???? Cheers.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:30 AM   #4
(female)

shelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB User

definitely get an aircast or a boot. for a chip you prob don't need a plaster cast. which malleolus is it....inside of ankle or outside? if outside, it is a non-weight bearing bone so it should heal in 6-8 weeks if you rest. if it is on inside, you definitely should get a boot.

shelley

Old 07-14-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
(female)

Poppy12345 HB User

Looking at the x-ray the chip looked to be down the back of the ankle bone, though they didn't say inside or outside. The pain is severe in my inner ankle though. The swelling is large on outer ankle.
As there are no doctors whatsoever in A&E depts I can't see the point in going back. Would they issue this air cast thing or a boot??
I just hope it will heal on its own. I can walk very slowly with a lot of painkillers so hoping it will improve over time. Cheers.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:00 PM   #6
(female)

Poppy12345 HB User

Is the swelling a bad thing by the way?
It's now 11 days since the injury and the ankle bone has a big swelling on it still as well as swelling on the inner ankle. Overall, the whole foot looks fat with no arch. I've not been elevating it much or putting ice on. Does it matter if it's so swollen? I've always found everything gets better on its own in life. I'm hoping a little break like this will do the same without a cast.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:19 PM   #7
(female)

albenjdale HB User

I also just broke my ankle by rolling it over and broke the end off of one of the bones-it was on the outside and the ortho Dr put me in an air cast. After 3 weeks, most of the bruising is gone and it only swells when I walk too much (like at the airport!). The cast is very helpful and it is removable when you sleep, shower and drive. I have almost no pain. You need to keep it elevated as much as possible. The cast is heavy, but when I walk without it, I can tell that if I hit it, the ankle would hurt lots. Take care of your ankle or you will continue to have pain. My Dr said he is hoping that there will be some connection between the chip and the bone. Otherwise that chip will just be floating around and start causing problems. Good Luck!

Old 07-14-2009, 07:45 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

Poppy, The posterior malleolus is the correct term and it is located at the back of the tibia (the shin bone) which is the larger of the two bones in your lower leg and at the level of the ankle joint. The ankle joint gives your foot the up and down motion. The joint below that, the subtalar joint, gives the side to side motion. It is not on the inside (medial malleolus) or the outside (lateral malleolus). It would be advisable to get an aircast (removable boot) and patients are usually advised to not bear any weight for about 6 weeks. The reason being that this area is covered with cartilage and it must heal properly or it can easily lead to arthritis later on.

Last edited by hopalong_too; 07-14-2009 at 07:46 PM.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:21 PM   #9
(female)

shelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB User

you can go to walgreens or any drug store and buy aircast and crutches. i would do that if you can't walk without pain meds. any pain indicates bad.....so if it hurts, you are prolonging healing. if all the pain is on the inside, that's the weight bearing bone i was talking about...the tibia (medial malleolus). and swelling is normal, it's your body's way of trying to protect itself. definitely try to get off it though. bone takes 6-8 weeks to heal.
shelley

Old 07-16-2009, 09:19 AM   #10
(female)

Poppy12345 HB User

Thanks everyone. Just looked at the cost of an air cast. Can't afford £60. I've lost my job due to this injury. Do you think the NHS supply them? If it's not getting better in a couple of weeks I may go back to the hospital, but as there are no doctors there, I can't see a nurse knowing about such things. I'm just kinda hoping it will heal by itself. It's still very swollen and very painful, but maybe feeling just a bit better today. Or maybe I'm getting used to it hurting! LOL....

Old 07-19-2009, 07:48 AM   #11
(female)

Poppy12345 HB User

2 weeks today since broke ankle. My foot and ankle still very swollen. Getting by without it in a cast, just worried that it's still so swollen. Foot is pale blue with dark blue bruises on ankle. As it's feeling a bit better I was going to leave it another week then get another x-ray to see if it's mending. Is the swelling after 2 weeks normal though?

Closed Thread