It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2009, 01:03 PM   #1
(male)

Greentea73 HB User
Drainage after surgeries

Hi,

Sorry, this is kind of long.

I had surgery on 6/10 to remove the os trigonum from my ankle. I was in a surgical bandage (soft cast?) for two weeks after the surgery. The doctor used dissolving stitches. I was non-weightbearing for those two weeks. The doctor removed the cast on 6/22 and told me that I could start putting weight on my ankle.

I was to begin physical therapy on 6/24. Before the appointment, I noticed some drainage from my ankle. I called my doctor and he told me that it wasn't unusual to have a little drainage. I was told to keep it clean and let him know if it gets worse. Unfortunately, it didn't stop and actually got worse, so I called him on 6/26. He prescribed Amoxicillin. I took it over the weekend, but the incision kept draining fluid. I went in to see him on 6/29. He gave me a different antibiotic (Cephalexin) and said that if it didn't get better that he would prefer to go back in to clean it out. It didn't get better, so he went back in on 7/1 and washed out my ankle.

I saw him again on 7/6 and the wound hadn't been draining since the surgery. He said the sample he took during the surgery showed no infection (possible that the antibiotic took care of it). The doctor also said that he didn't need to remove any tissue. He used nylon stitches this time, so I had to return on 7/13 to get the stitches removed. On 7/7, I noticed that my incision was draining fluid again. I decided to stop walking for a couple days and I also wrapped it extra thick (in case my shoe was rubbing on it). The bandages were clean up until my appointment on 7/13.

On 7/13, there was a spot on the bandage. My doctor was concerned, so he decided against removing the stitches. He also gave me a new antibiotic (Cipro). Since my appointment yesterday, my incision has been draining a great deal more. I'm scheduled to see my doctor on 7/21.

Has anyone had something like this? Any thoughts on things I could do differently?

Sorry for the length of this post. Until today, I haven't been worried about this. I'm starting to get concerned about an infection residing somewhere he didn't see during the second surgery.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
(male)

Greentea73 HB User
Re: Drainage after surgeries

Just an update.

My ankle is still leaking. I had my doctor do an MRI last week and it showed a pool of fluid. My doctor took a sample yesterday to see what kind of bacteria is leaking out and changed my antibiotic to Clindamycin.

As he looked at the fluid, he said that it looked like synovial fluid. The other possibility is that it is an infection. Either way, he says there's a chance we might have to go in a 3rd time to clean it up if it's an infection or sew it up so the synovial fluid will stop leaking. He wouldn't give me any probabilities. Makes sense, but now it's all I'm thinking about.

Anyone have synovial fluid leaking? Does it stop without surgery?

Thanks.

Closed Thread