It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2009, 09:34 PM   #1
(female)

andrea121 HB User
experience with AFO braces

Hello everyone

I haven't written on here in a while. I was just wondering about these AFO braces, I know there are many different kinds. My doctor suggested it at my last visit as a possibility in the future. Here is a very quick history, severely flat feet in both feet since i was born, had reconstructive surgery 4 years ago and several other after that due to complications. I just had hardware removed 10 weeks ago. My foot that i havent had surgery on is still painful and very flat, and my surgical foot has had ongoing issues. this has all been hard on the rest of my body like my knees (which needed surgery), hips and back. My doc thinks these brace things would give me a lot of support for my legs. I just wanted to know what any of you guys thought? I would really appreciate it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2009, 06:04 AM   #2
(female)

mary2 HB User
Re: experience with AFO braces

My experience is very limited. I am 10 weeks post pttd surgery. In the 5 years before the surgery I tried two afos...the Ritchie Brace was flexible at the ankle and I understood why it would be good to have that movement but I could not get used to it hurt and the Dr was not very flexible about sending it back for adjustments...then a new Dr and an Arizona brace. It too had fitting problems but I worked with skilled techs at a medical supply store who made the adjustments necessary to allow for the comfortable fit. I wore the Arizona for a year with great comfort but still had the pain after walking any distance, but no pain with very short distances.
My advice would be be sure you are able to work with techs that can adjust any AFO. Maybe you don't have sensitive feet....I am bothered by even a wrinkle in my sock.
I must say I liked the comfort of how tha arizona fit, but over time I am not sure how it would be. I hope you hear from folks who have worn AFOs for longer thatn a year.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2009, 08:31 AM   #3
(female)

andrea121 HB User

Well thanks you very much for your input

MY doctor called me yesterday and said that the richie brace would be the way to go. So i am going in on monday. My doctor is really good about making sure things are working for me. So i guess i will find out all about this on monday.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:58 PM   #4
(female)

scribytoo HB User

I had a Richie brace on one foot for the 4 years before my triple arthrodesis. It helped just not enough. I work on my feet all day and some days are 10 hours. But it helped me get through 2 total knees before I had the TA. I didn't have any adjustment problems. I would look into it for my other foot but it isn't "bad" enough to justify the expense...and I'm enjoying wearing more "normal" shoes for a change.

Closed Thread