It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2009, 10:38 AM   #1
(female)

old rocker HB User
big toe fusion

My doctor has recommended for me to have my big toe fused. Can someone give me an idea as to the recovery time and what you went thru?
Thanks a lot.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: big toe fusion

If you do a search on this site, you'll find tons of posts about them. So there is lots of information here. What kind of doctor are you seeing? What caused this issue? Has he said what all he plans to do? Sometimes hardware is include, and sometimes not. What other procedures have you had on the toe?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2009, 12:12 AM   #3
(female)

HybridHen HB User

I had my big toe fused on 24th June this year, due to arthritis and no cartilege left. I have a metal plate and 5 screws in my foot, which will stay there. It was very painful upon coming round from the anasthaetic, and I took painkillers for 3 days, the first night was the worst, I only got 2 hours sleep. I had a special shoe to wear to keep the weight off the joint, and crutches to get about on. I only moved when necessary for the first week. I had the bandaged changed 2 days after the operation by a nurse, and was given antibiotics as my foot looked a bit red and swollen. The stitches took about 3 weeks to heal and disappear.

It's now 6 weeks later and I'm able to take the shoe off today and wear normal shoes. I've managed to get my foot into a wide sandal that does up with velcro, and I've been told to build up the walking gradually. I imagine I'll be limping for a while yet, and I'm too scared to walk properly on it. It will take some getting used to walking with a stiff toe. I'm due to go back to work on 24th August.

I've been told the bone is healing nicely, but still has a little way to go yet. Good luck!

Old 08-05-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

why do you need the toe fusion? also, you must read past threads.

Closed Thread