It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
(female)

DancesWithFire HB User
OATS Surgeons in the Northwest?

Hello,

After attempting drilling on a Talor Dome lesion, my OS has referred me to OATS surgery. Unfortunately, my injury was sustained when I was hit by a car in a crosswalk. The two surgeons that do this surgery in Seattle both refuse to touch auto accident cases. I am trying to figure out what kind of options this leaves me with and would be grateful if anyone out there could give me any other surgeons in the area that would do it.

The ones that turned it down were not able to provide me with any information - in fact I was not able to get past the appointment setters - very frustrating!

Old 07-15-2009, 02:33 PM   #2
(male)

indyjones HB User
Re: OATS Surgeons in the Northwest?

I had my allograft OATS done by Pierce Scranton at Evergreen Hospital in Kirkland in May and thus far I am very happy with the result. I believe he also is associated with Swedish

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2009, 03:17 PM   #3
(female)

DancesWithFire HB User

Yes - apperantly he's the best - he's the first one my OS referred me to. Both he and Martin Mankey will not take any cases that are due to auto accidents (or L&I for Scranton at least).

Old 07-16-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

akirka HB User

Hmmm...

I live near Missoula, MT and there was no one to go to in-state for OATS. I was given the choice of Dr. Sigvard Hansen at the UW Sports medicine in Seattle or Dr. Michael Couglin in Boise, ID. I chose Dr. Coughlin because he was closer but mostly because his office was small and not so chaotic. Maybe try these 2 Dr.'s. I highly recommend Dr. Coughlin!

Abby

Last edited by akirka; 07-16-2009 at 09:44 AM.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:48 PM   #5
(female)

DancesWithFire HB User

Thank you Abby! I'll look into those.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:41 PM   #6
(female)

DancesWithFire HB User

I just wanted to add the latest. A few weeks after my last post I finally got a good referral. I still cant believe the first FOUR surgeons would not take my case. It might have worked out to my advantage though - I ended up with a referral to Dr. Sangeorzan - chief of Orthopedics at Harborview. The draw back is that he is a very busy guy - my consultation is not until January (booked in August!). I can walk OK for now and the "yelping" pain is only occasional if things get lined up wrong when I take a step. I'm just trying to enjoy the mobility I have for now and not think too much about the surgery until the time comes. I'll post an update if something new happens.

Closed Thread