It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
(female)

StarGirl77 HB User
Question surgery to correct flat feet?

Yesterday my doctor recomended surgery (procedures: medial displacement calcaneal osteotomy, kidner advancement of posterior tibal tendon, & lapidus bunionectomy) to correct my flat feet (which are very flat). I've been reading things on here about those procedures and I'm not sure it's worth it... my feet only hurt mildly (sometimes moderately) after prolonged walking (not slow walking, but faster), while running, and sometimes while I dance (mostly while doing pointe in ballet). I don't think I had orthodic inserts long enough to see if they are enough. I'm also planning on getting a second opinion. I'm almost 16 and I'm worried a tiny bit of pain will be replaced my a lot of pain for a long time... it doesn't really keep me from doing anything. My doctor said she's moreso worried about future problems... Does anyone have any advice? Is it better if I do it very soon, wait a few years, or wait until the pain is actually bad? What are your experiences?

Last edited by StarGirl77; 07-15-2009 at 05:39 PM. Reason: spelling error

Old 07-15-2009, 04:54 PM   #2
(female)

andrea121 HB User
Re: surgery to correct flat feet?

Hey Stargirl

I know how you feel. I was 16 when I had my first surgery. I am 20 now. I did not want to do it at all, but of course my mom convinced me. With me though, my feet hurt me a lot, they always had, I even quit sports in highschool because my feet hurt so much. I was also developing other problems with my knees and back from my feet so for me I didnt have much of a choice. It's harder to say with you when your feet don't hurt that bad now. I would give the orthotics more of a chance to work, my orthotics helped me for a long time, I had them since I was 3 years old. Surgery is a last resort. I do understand that your doc wants to prevent it from getting worse. These surgeries are usually very very successful. I realize that I probablty haven't helped you much but I just wanted to let you know, I know what your going through.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2009, 05:22 PM   #3
(female)

StarGirl77 HB User

Andrea,
Thanks for understanding. It's nice to know other someone else's experience. I probably am going to give the orthodics more of a chance (I've only had them for a little more than 2 months...) and take a lot of time to think about this.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:37 PM   #4
(female)

monster bunion HB User

Hello,
It must be pretty scary for you at 16 to make such hard decisions about whether or not to have surgery. I would have your parents talk with the doctor more about the pros and cons. Also, you should get a second or third opinion. It is very wise to give orthotics a chance, it may take a while to get used to, but it is definitely less painful than surgery. I've had the lapidus bunionectomy done on both my feet. This procedure is reserved for moderate to severe bunions and involves cutting a bone in the midfoot area as well as straightening out the big toe and shaving the bunion. It generally can involve putting in two or more large pins in the foot and 6 to 8 weeks non-weight bearing with a cast. I don't know about the other procedures you are having, but the lapidus procedure is a big enough procedure in itself to put you out of commission for at least 3 to 4 months. If your feet are not bothering you too much now, perhaps now is not the time for surgery.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:47 PM   #5
(female)

StarGirl77 HB User

monster bunion,
Thanks for your advice, it certainly is scary trying to make this decision! If the bunion procedure you had is for moderate or severe bunions I'm not sure why she wants me to have that because mine aren't that big... maybe she figures everything might as well be fixed while they're in there already...

Old 07-15-2009, 09:40 PM   #6
(female)

monster bunion HB User

The lapidus procedure, besides correcting the bunion, creates an arch in the foot by cutting a bone in the midfoot and raising the first ray to a new position. Maybe this is what the doctor is aiming for. They usually measure your intermetatarsal angle (IM) angle, which is the degree to which your toe points out of kilter, and if this degree is 15 degrees or more, they recommend the Lapidus procedure. It is worth getting a second opinion if you can, it may help you to decide. It is generally true that the younger you are, the faster you will heal. I am way older that you, I was 49 when I had my first foot surgery. It took about a year to recover. I just had the second foot done in Feb 2009, and it was a faster recovery, about 3 to 4 months because that foot was not as bad. My feet had gotten to the point where I could not walk without a great deal of pain, so fo me, the decision to have surgery was the only choice for me. Today, I think the surgeries were a success and I can walk without pain, I was extemely fortunate to have a good surgeon.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:21 PM   #7
(female)

spima3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea121 View Post
I know how you feel. I was 16 when I had my first surgery. I am 20 now. I did not want to do it at all, but of course my mom convinced me. With me though, my feet hurt me a lot, they always had, I even quit sports in highschool because my feet hurt so much. I was also developing other problems with my knees and back from my feet so for me I didnt have much of a choice. It's harder to say with you when your feet don't hurt that bad now. I would give the orthotics more of a chance to work, my orthotics helped me for a long time, I had them since I was 3 years old. Surgery is a last resort. I do understand that your doc wants to prevent it from getting worse. These surgeries are usually very very successful. I realize that I probablty haven't helped you much but I just wanted to let you know, I know what your going through.
You said you had surgery at 16, was it successful? My DS12 has had orthotics since he was 4 and is at the point where he is in constant pain, has quit all sports, lives on pain meds, and blisters badly when he is active for a few days.
His current ortho told us this is the best he will ever be, and does not recommend surgery. This is the second ortho who we've dealt with. I would love to get him to Children's Hospital of Philly, but our insurance won't pay for it.
Then my concern is if we find someone who does recommend surgery, should we do it?
WHY is surgery a last resort?

Old 12-03-2009, 05:10 PM   #8
(female)

LOve iz Love HB User

Hi! I'm Layla and I'm 12! I'm getting surgery too... but i have.. maybe... a worser case than you, because i have # 3 case of flatness. The worst you can get is type 4. but i got 3 and i've been wearing orthopedic shoes for quite a while and i havent gotten any better so my Doctor told me and my parents that i have to get surgery on my foot and close to my knee, Because my flat foot is so bad that my knees started going inward! I'm pretty nervous i dont like needles! Anyway dont feel like you're the only one that has to go through this have faith and god will help us both out. well thats all i have to say good luck on your surgey!!! Bye!
Layla

Old 12-22-2009, 06:07 AM   #9
(female)

Mariah1990 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarGirl77 View Post
Yesterday my doctor recomended surgery (procedures: medial displacement calcaneal osteotomy, kidner advancement of posterior tibal tendon, & lapidus bunionectomy) to correct my flat feet (which are very flat). I've been reading things on here about those procedures and I'm not sure it's worth it... my feet only hurt mildly (sometimes moderately) after prolonged walking (not slow walking, but faster), while running, and sometimes while I dance (mostly while doing pointe in ballet). I don't think I had orthodic inserts long enough to see if they are enough. I'm also planning on getting a second opinion. I'm almost 16 and I'm worried a tiny bit of pain will be replaced my a lot of pain for a long time... it doesn't really keep me from doing anything. My doctor said she's moreso worried about future problems... Does anyone have any advice? Is it better if I do it very soon, wait a few years, or wait until the pain is actually bad? What are your experiences?
Hello, I am 19 years old and I have flexible flat feet where my ankles rolls inwards. I really understand what you are going through, and what it's like to have problem with your feet. Walking is the second most common thing we do after breathing and having problems with your feet can be such an unbearable problem.
I am considering possible surgery to correct my flat feet as well. For me orthotics did help a little bit, ( I wore it for about 2 years ) but from what I learnt , orthotics and supportive shoes or ANY conservative treatments can never stop the feet from progress deforming ( getting flatter ). Conservative treatments can Slow it down, but because flat feet distributes the wight unevenly and we take thousands of steps everyday, as long as it is fully corrected the feet will just get worse overtime. Like the orthotics used to help me alot but now because my feet are much flatter they don't help me much at all. I don't exactly know what your condition is, but I believe surgeries can be the best option for some people. if you choose the right surgery for your feet and if it's successful, it could really stop from your feet getting worse over time and you will have much less complications in the future. The most important thing is not to rush and look for the best procedure that will work for you best. Do ALOT of research, get lots of opinions, get advise from people who has underwent surgery, till you feel completely comfortable. I think It's worth while considering possible options such as surgery because you don't want to look back in 10, 20 years and regret that you could have done the surgery that MIGHT have worked for you. I know It's very hard making such huge decision, but hang on there and things will work out for you. your not alone Love to hear how things are working out for you.
mariah

Last edited by Mariah1990; 12-22-2009 at 06:25 AM.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:35 PM   #10
(male)

dmarcus48 HB User

I've pretty much been through the entire ordeal as well. Fortunately I was 46 when my feet finally went. I had both feet done, one in 2005 and the other in 2006. The recovery was very long, and for me unfortunately the surgeries didn't work. My feet look better, and feel somewhat better but I'm still in constant pain and my feet swell if I stand for any length of time. We have a user forum, google PTTI and you'll find it. (moderator if that's not allowed please delete).

Last edited by dmarcus48; 12-23-2009 at 07:35 PM.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:16 AM   #11
(female)

pln98 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOve iz Love View Post
Hi! I'm Layla and I'm 12! I'm getting surgery too... but i have.. maybe... a worser case than you, because i have # 3 case of flatness. The worst you can get is type 4. but i got 3 and i've been wearing orthopedic shoes for quite a while and i havent gotten any better so my Doctor told me and my parents that i have to get surgery on my foot and close to my knee, Because my flat foot is so bad that my knees started going inward! I'm pretty nervous i dont like needles! Anyway dont feel like you're the only one that has to go through this have faith and god will help us both out. well thats all i have to say good luck on your surgey!!! Bye!
Layla

Your so Lucky to! , I'm 13 and i have severe flat feet and it causes me back pain, i really want to have surgery to correct it, if you have had the surgery can you please tell me how it went x

Old 11-08-2011, 05:46 PM   #12
(female)

GatorKnight HB User

Wow, I'm kind of surprised that anyone would recommend putting a patient through this surgery at 12 or 13 years old! I am 26 and just had this procedure done, and it was a difficult recovery. My surgery was back in June and, 5 months later, I'm still in physical therapy, walking with a "limp", and dealing with quite a bit of swelling. They say it takes a year to fully recover, and I am really starting to believe that! I spent the entire summer (June 3rd-August 8th) on the couch or in bed, with a cast, unable to shower because it wasn't worth all the trouble (thank goodness for bathtubs!), and obviously not able to drive. When I returned to work, I had to get rides from my coworkers for the first 2 months. It is a difficult surgery and painful, I will admit. You may want to make sure your feet are definitely not going to grow anymore before going through this. It would just be one more thing to worry about, you know? It's great to catch it before it does affect your knees (or in my case, hips, too), but this definitely isn't something you want to rush into. Good luck!

Old 11-08-2011, 06:56 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

I am 16 months post of ptt/spring ligament repairs, tendon transfer, calcaneal/cotton osteotomy and grastroc recession. I was a stage 2B. I am lucky that I had a good outcome. I am able to go about my day to day activities for the most part forgetting about my foot. I still have reduced sensation in the toes and top of the foot and get occasional twinges but nothing that is a big deal. Prior to surgery, I would get horrible sharp pain along the ptt and into the arch after taking 10-15 steps when wearing a custom arizona style brace. Now, I am able to work full time and then do errands after work with no pain.

I strongly suggest that you get AT LEAST two opinions. The recovery is long and difficult. I was NWB 8 weeks followed by several weeks in a boot anytime my foot was on the ground. The reason the surgery is considered a last resort is that there are no guarentees and the overall success rate is low. You can increase the chances of a good outcome substantially by choosing your doctor wisely. Be sure that your surgeon has done many of these proceedures, NOT just a few a year.

Closed Thread