It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2009, 01:42 AM   #1
(female)

pearl66 HB User
Double Bunionectomy post-op

Having had discussions on bunions on other threads i have decided to start my own thread so please feel free to join me on all of your experiences of post op bunionectomy.
My operation took place on monday 13th july. The surgery took 4 hours it was Metatarsal Osteotomy and i also had my second toe straitened on each foot.
It has only been 4 days so it is early days yet but it has been a lot harder than i thought it would be. I spent 2 nights in hospital and could only come out when i could put some weight on my feet and walk a few steps with a walking frame.
Walking was very scary and my first attempt did not go to well. I managed to take about 3 steps before i felt dizzy and had to lie down, my blood pressure was very low and so i had to drink a lot more fluid. When i was allowed home it was a bit frightening to think your on your own now. My husband has taken time off work to help me cope so that is a relief as i could not have done it on my own.Today has been elevating my feet and answering my emails and having my meals cooked and brought to me 'I could get quite used to this treatment'

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2009, 05:28 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Janesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB User
Re: Double Bunionectomy post-op

Congratulations! You are on your way to recovery. I had the dizziness issues too. On my second day home, I wanted to go into the back yard (drugs talking?). The nerve block was still working, so I felt only minimal pain. I became very dizzy,was sweating buckets, and was sure I would faint. I was stranded! My son and husband were inside watching TV, and who knows how long it would be until they noticed I was missing. I finally made it inside, but the incident scared me. Don't overdo. I think the pain medication affects blood pressure. I felt much better once I was off the percocet, which wasn't until a week later. A rolling office chair or wheelchair is very handy inside. I also used a walker with wheels because I felt more stable than with crutches.
This site was invaluable while I was recovering. You will receive a lot of great information and support here. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2009, 06:37 AM   #3
(female)

pearl66 HB User

Hi jane how long ago was your surgery. Today i am feeling so much better my husband took me to the hospital with my wheelchair in tow to see my first grandchild who had arrived last Wednesday. It dosnt hurt as much to put my feet down but it will be a while before i could walk on them. I am still taking pain killers but not so often. I have made an app to see my surgeon in two weeks for a check up.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:09 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

I had surgery a year ago this past May. The first three weeks were the
most difficult because of pain, then boredom. I drive a standard, so I wasn't allowed to drive until I could wear a "normal" shoe. I was in a shoe at five weeks. I didn't have a lot of swelling, so I was fortunate. Everyone heals differently. My best piece of advice is not to overdo, especially after the stitches come out. You will get better, and soon will be enjoying your regular activities.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:25 AM   #5
(female)

pearl66 HB User

hi Jane it seems like its only me and you at the moment. are you happy with the way your feet look and also are you free of pain from them? was the operation woth it i know it was a while ago so im assuming all is well with them. i heard so many people on these boards say the swelling takes a long time to go away so you must be one of the lucky ones.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:02 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

I had/have a "traditional" bunion and tailor's bunion on each foot. The right foot had a tailor's bunion for more than 20 years. It was huge, but I only had pain if a shoe rubbed against it. I didn't even know it was a bunion! I had weird nerve pain at the top of the arch which prompted me to see my primary care physician (PCP). He told me I had bunions. I was referred to a podiatrist (pod). This was two years ago this September. I decided not to do anything yet, but that following February I went to San Antonio Texas and walked miles. My right foot swelled up on top, I couldn't even bend my toes. I went back to the pod, who said my fifth metatarsal joint at the toe rolled. The foot couldn't support my weight properly because the first and fifth metatarsals were splayed. I wanted surgery done on both feet, but my pod said I wouldn't be a happy camper. I think it is because surgery was on both metatarsals, so it would mean four bones cut etc. The bones were cut through, realigned and pinned. My husband said I had a frankenfoot. I had surgery May 2008 on the right foot. The first metatarsal side healed faster. I learned fifth metatarsals can be slow to heal because of blood flow. My other foot at the big toe joint is giving me a lot of pain. I was hoping to wait until my son had his drivers license. I'll be seeing my pcp next week, and probably the pod. I want to wait due to the incapacitation that follows surgery. Sorry to ramble on. My post-surgical foot looks great, though I didn't care prior to surgery about looks. The first weeks after surgery were the worse, but I was to blame. I walked far too much after stitches were removed. My foot had terrible nerve pain and I had to go nwb for a week. I recovered well. My foot felt much better after the pins were removed. I stopped the pain medication after the first week. I was feeling jumpy and paranoid. I was driving at five weeks post-op. Everyone has their own schedule for recovery, so don't be too discouraged if you feel you should be farther along. You will get better.
Wait until you can wear the cute sandals that had been off limits. Sounds trivial, but it is exciting! I promise my next reply will not be so lengthy.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:25 PM   #7
(female)

Edge1073 HB User

Hi Pearl

I hope your feet are feeling much better. I was talking to you on the other thread about the double bunionectomy. Are you able to get around these days? I finally got my stitches out but still very stiff and sore. I started my PT and was wondering if they are going to make you do some Physical Therapy on your feet? I'm only 3 weeks post op so I know it's going to take awhile to feel better. I'm wishing you a fast recovery and look forward to talking to you soon.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:00 PM   #8
(female)

Laurieivy HB User

Hey Pearl Edge and Earthworm... I found your new thread here. What did they do to you Pearl?... What was the specifics of your surgery.. 2 days in the hospital sounds like it must have been more than what I had... I am doing much better.. my scabs have come off and I got some birkonstock shoes so I am walking a lot better... Walked the mall yesterday.. Still have swelling in the big toe and on top of the foot..... Hope you are occupying yourself ok... It will get better every day..keep posting!

Laurie

Old 07-18-2009, 05:09 PM   #9
(female)

Laurieivy HB User

Hi Jane... did you need to do the other foot too?

Old 07-18-2009, 08:21 PM   #10
(female)

Edge1073 HB User

Hi Laurie..I'm glad your feeling better and you think you'll be ready to return to work when school starts? Glad were following and finding each other on the bunionectomy threads don't know if it's the right thing to do,but I'm glad we know everyone with recent bunionectomies are doing well. Take Care!

Hi Jane..Yeah,did you have the other foot done yet? I had a bunion,tailor bunion and bone spur all removed on my right foot. I could imagine how your Tailor bunion felt cause I had that walk on the bone feeling too. I didn't wait 20 yrs thou..I give you credit on that one..WOW I want to wear sandals sooo bad now..I'm only 3 weeks post op so I can't imagine putting one on now.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:43 AM   #11
(female)

pearl66 HB User
Talking Re: Double Bunionectomy post-op

Hi girls im so pleased we are alll back together once more and now Jane has joined us good stuff. Ye i did spend two nights in hospital but it was purely because i could not put my feet down and walk a few steps with the help of a walker it was the physio who said i couldnt go home it was ok by the surgeon he said everything had gone great.My blood pressure was extremely low so that wasnt helping my dizzy and fainting spells so rather be safe than sorry.
Since being home im feeling stronger day by day. Today it had been 20 hours inbetween pain meds so i guess i will be off them completely very soon.
I dont know the exact specifics of the surgery only what i mentioned before metatorsal ostomony is that what you mean Laurie? Wow your actually wearing proper shoes and out at the mall thats fabulous its only been about 7 weeks hasnt it? I hope my recovery is as quick[as you can see i love these little icons]
Up to now ive not been bored what with the tv, books, magazines ,lap top, and most of all my son and his wife had a little boy last wednesday my first grandchild. My husband and i have taken ourselves off to the hospital me in my wheelchair, i never thought i would be able to see them both in hospital with only just coming out of hospital myself, so i have a lot to hurry up and get better for.
I will be having some pt when the time comes Edge im sure it is very neccesary to full use of the foot. im only 2 weeks behind you so i will be reading what your going through with interest.I notice that you have had your stitches out my doctor said it would be 6 weeks before mine are out I love my walker as i couldnt manage without it but i dont stay on it to long i know the importance of elevating from reading Janes posts. Love you and leave you thanks for listening.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:56 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Thanks Pearl for bringing the bunion group together. I am in awe of you who had both feet done at the same time. You will be so glad you did it in one shot.
I will need to have the other foot done, same procedure for the bunion and tailor's bunion. I was hoping to wait a few years, but the joint on the big toe of my bad foot is hurting like crazy. I was hoping to go to the UK next summer, a trip I wished I had made when I was younger. I'll be going to the pcp for x-rays and a new referral to my pod.
Edge, did you have pins or screws? My foot healing went much more quickly once the pins were removed. The pins were the biggest source of my discomfort. I was ready to yank them out myself! When you do start walking in a sneaker, remember to roll off your toes. I was staying off my toes by habit and developed a sore hip. Once I became more aware of how I was walking, and began using the toes, the hip pain went away. I started Zumba classes (a latin inspired aerobics) at six months, though I wish I started at four. The class helped me stretch my foot and helped it to become more flexible.
I didn't do PT, but I think it would have hastened flexibility. I will ask to have PT after the next surgery. Keep up the good work.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:54 AM   #13
(female)

earthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB User

Hello girls!

Pearl, congrats on your sucessful surgery and a brand new grandson . Sounds like you are recovering well and keeping yourself entertained. Don't feel bad about having to stay in the hospital for 2 nights, I did too Since I was by myself, it was just easier and for my peace of mind to stay because my trotters were just too big to walk on even with the wedge shoes. I got wheeled into the bathroom too...hehehe. Oh yeah..I was wondering why your stitches won't be removed for another 6 weeks?

Laurie, awesome that you get to start wearing the birkenstocks already! I am visiting the Emerald Isle now as some of you know. And boy! does it rain! lol I have walked so many miles for the past 3 days than I have ever walked for the past few months before surgery. My feet are not happy with me at the end of the day. The right foot is a bit more naughty than the left foot and tends to swell and hurt first. I am still not able to walk like my normal self yet, but I am trying to walk as normal as possible because at the end of the day, my heels and lateral sides of my feet just get really tired and uncomfortable. I will attempt to wear dressy sandals tomorrow to attend a friend's wedding, I just hope my trotters would fit into them lol

Edge, how's the foot? The last we heard you may have a stress fracture on that foot. I hope it was a false alarm as you said. Take good care of that foot and don't overdo it. You will be wearing sandals soon before you know it.

Alright...gotta go, my hubby is rushing me out the door to walk more! *Ick*. Let's hope it will not rain while I am out Take good care everyone! and speedy recovery!

Old 07-19-2009, 03:26 PM   #14
(female)

Edge1073 HB User

Hi Pearl..Congrats on your new grandson!! I'm sure this will make you want to recover much quicker but don't over do it either. Becareful and take care of yourself.

Hi Jane..I did not have any pins or screws put into my foot. I'm just alittle nervous lately that I'm still very stiff and can't bend my toe yet. I know its only 3 weeks but I still get minor throbbing and shooting pains in my big toe. My Tailor bunion side still looks like I still have the bunion sticking out I see my POD tomorrow which I am glad about that cause I'm get this shooting pain and throbbing right above my heel in my arch area. I dont even have to be walking and it hurts. Maybe its one of those new pains you get while walking on your surgery foot. Did you ever have that kind of pain?

Hey Earth.. I guess your still in Ireland? You better take care of your feet shame on you... I couldn't imagine doing all of that walking! I think the stress fracture could be a false alarm but I'll know more tomorrow at the POD office. My POD is a Board Certified Surgeon so I have 110% in him and his qualifications. My bone does feel alittle sore and bumpy but it could be from the swelling in my foot. Oh..the agony of da feet..LOL

Hope everyone is taking care of themselves and don't dance too much!! LOL

Old 07-20-2009, 05:12 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Pearl, congratulations on your new grandson. He must give you so much pride and pleasure. You are in a perfect position (sitting) to enjoy him! You will be in fine shape to chase him around when he is an active toddler. Thank you again for starting this thread.
Edge, I did worry my bunionette side didn't "take" because it was still swollen.
It will shrink, but it takes time. My bunionette was enormous, so I think the skin was stretched, making it still look like a bump. I also had the shooting pains. Don't overdo, wait a few weeks to do much walking. I was walking two miles a day at 7 weeks, and my POD was very upset. He told me to only do normal daily activities until four months out. Every one heals differently, so don't take my word as gospel. Did you have osteotomies? There are old threads about bunionettes you may find interesting.
Earthworm, you are amazing. I'm envious of your trip to Ireland. Enjoy.
Let us know if your wore the sandals!

Closed Thread