It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2009, 04:33 PM   #1
(female)

ptgator HB User
Cool Calcaneous Fracture - In a Boot but have questions

Hi all heelies - I hope all is well. After 2 weeks post-surgery, 3 screws no plate, my Dr put me in a boot today, said I could start going into the office a little, and do the toe/heel forward backward motion, next visit 4 weeks he is not sure if I will need PT. Oh so nice to be on to the next phase. My question is what in the world would someone suggest to get the leg and skin softened again and not so scaley? Also, since I am in a boot now any suggestions/experience on whether sleeping with it on or off? I am concerned if I have it off I might do something in my sleep that would damage my progress...

Thoughts?

Thank you and hope everyone is healing well.

- Peggy

Last edited by ptgator; 07-17-2009 at 04:33 PM. Reason: typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2009, 09:34 PM   #2
(male)

malldad HB User
Re: Calcaneous Fracture - In a Boot but have questions

Peggy,

After 4 post-op weeks in casts that were causing me tremendous pain because they were rubbing on my incision my OS put me in the boot. He said I could sleep with it of if I wanted to. The first night I did not sleep with the boot. About 5:30 AM I had a dream and moved the foot very quickly. It woke me upi and scared the you know what out of me. The next two weeks I had very restless nights trying to sleep wit it on. Turns out all the velcro on the boot does not allow the boot to move well on bedding. It took me a few nights of trying to sleep with it off until I was comfortable having it off all night. Once I got over the fear of hurting myself with it off I had no problem at all. Just give it a try and I am betting you will be fine.

Btw, I hope you got my email about this..

Chris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2009, 08:10 AM   #3
(female)

ptgator HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by malldad View Post
Peggy,

After 4 post-op weeks in casts that were causing me tremendous pain because they were rubbing on my incision my OS put me in the boot. He said I could sleep with it of if I wanted to. The first night I did not sleep with the boot. About 5:30 AM I had a dream and moved the foot very quickly. It woke me upi and scared the you know what out of me. The next two weeks I had very restless nights trying to sleep wit it on. Turns out all the velcro on the boot does not allow the boot to move well on bedding. It took me a few nights of trying to sleep with it off until I was comfortable having it off all night. Once I got over the fear of hurting myself with it off I had no problem at all. Just give it a try and I am betting you will be fine.

Btw, I hope you got my email about this..

Chris
Thank you Chris - that helps alot I haven't tried it yet but will give it a whirl..

Hope you are doing well.

Peggy

Old 07-19-2009, 07:19 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

triguy450 HB Usertriguy450 HB User
Cool Re: Calcaneous Fracture - In a Boot but have questions

Hi Peggy,

I agree with Chris...take the boot off and use a moisturizer after your bath or shower. I also put the lotion on before bed too whether I wore the boot or didn't.

My doc told me to sleep with out the boot. I forget at which stage of recovery I was in. It felt wierd the 1st few nights. One night I had some pain so I put it on for a few more nights.

After that, I never wore it again when I slept.

Ed

Old 07-24-2009, 08:40 PM   #5
(female)

ptgator HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by triguy450 View Post
Hi Peggy,

I agree with Chris...take the boot off and use a moisturizer after your bath or shower. I also put the lotion on before bed too whether I wore the boot or didn't.

My doc told me to sleep with out the boot. I forget at which stage of recovery I was in. It felt wierd the 1st few nights. One night I had some pain so I put it on for a few more nights.

After that, I never wore it again when I slept.

Ed
Hey Ed and Chris - thank you for the advice...Wow what a difference...to sleeping. Can any of you advise any good exercises, my ortho suggested for the next 4 weeks to do the forward/backward motion and he isn't sure I will need PT so I just want to do what ever I can to get this foot in "A" shape...
Thank you for all the help!

Closed Thread