It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2009, 09:37 AM   #1
(female)

lovelyladi HB User
Six months after Triple Arthrodesis

My original thread was closed so I thought I would start a new one to update.
I had triple arthrodesis with achilles tendon lengthening Jan 15. In a cast nwb cast for 11 weeks and a boot for 7 weeks. I am 61 years old

OS says I am fusing well, will take up to 2 years to fuse completely...but most fusing will be finished in first year. At six months I can mostly walk without a cane (but continue to keep it with me for steps, curbs, uneven ground or if I am really tired.) My gait is still very off but I am working on it. I had my first of a series of 3 synvisc shots in my knees (virtually painless) and am hoping this will help. I still have a lot of swelling by the end of the day, foot, ankle and leg. I wear a compression stocking (jobst open toe 15-20mg) and ice each evening. Somedays I have pain, somedays not. On pain days I take 1-2 vicodin a day. I start accupuncture for the swelling on Wed.

So much for the update, now for questions foot buddies.

I wear really large New balance sneakers out of the house and Finn Comfort sandels at home. Do I dare wear my sandels out of the home or is this risky behavior and I need the support?

How long till I can walk normal distances (ie take my small dog for a walk)? I can go to a large department store and wal around but afraid to walk the mall yet. When will I be able to do this?

Hugs,

Shelly

Old 07-18-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
(female)

scribytoo HB User
Re: Six months after Triple Arthrodesis

Hi Shelly!
Congrats on the 6 month mark. I wore my Propet sandals out about 7-8 months after my surgery. I think it was about the same time I stopped feeling like I had to carry my cane with me. I had significant swelling at the end of the day but otherwise felt good wearing them. I took my dog for the first walk around the block at about 8 months I think. It felt like a great accomplishment. Since the end of May, almost 9 mos. have been walking around the shopping centers fairly well, though I still get sore, especially in my other foot. I have significant swelling in my foot and leg but I had the total knee 3 mos. before the foot. I expect that to continue at least through the summer. And if my first knee is any indicator, it will continue to feel "odd" for some time to come. But generally speaking, I'm really glad to have so much freedom.

Hope each day feels better and better!
All the best,
Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
(female)

Pegret HB User

Six months! Whoo-hoo! I'm glad you started another thread. I have learned a lot following your progress.
Hugs,
Peg

Old 11-23-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
(female)

addisonavenue HB User

I am having the triple arthrodesis in two weeks due to tarsal tunnel and tarsal arthritis... I was wondering if you might twll me what to expect? How long did you stay in the hospital and what should I expect the first couple of weeks after? Thanks!

Old 11-23-2009, 08:33 PM   #5
(female)

lovelyladi HB User

I haven't been on the board in weeks months and just happened to look today and saw your question.

Briefly I was in the hospital 3 nights, for pain control, a fever and to learn to make it to the bathroom. some folks go home the same day, I would not recommend it.

I had a plaster cast for the first 2 weeks, heavy. The pain was under control with vicodine by the time I left the hospital, really not bad after the first few days...jsut stay ahead of it and take the pain pills on a schedule the first week or 2. at 2 weeks I saw the surgeon, xrays and a new lighter cast (in my choice of colors). wore the cast for 11 weeks and a boot for 7. Used a walker for a few weeks more and then a cane for a fe weeks (until the beginning of August)

My recovery has been slower than many others,I am 61 yrs old, overweight (but not huge) and have arthritis in my knee too. I am just now at 10 mos able to wear most shoes, including stocky heels clogs, flats etc. (I needed new shoes as my left foot is longer now and still some swelling) I am finally starting to walk much more easily.

the surgery is well worth it but the recovery can be tough. Good Luck

Closed Thread