It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
(female)

darby3451 HB User
Pain with walking after triple arthrodesis

Hi everyone,

My triple arthrodesis was at the beginning of Feb. The recovery time has gone very well (I can say that NOW!) and I had no pain until I had to start putting weight on the foot. Most of the pain and swelling has been on the lateral (outside) of the foot. I just want to know if that's where others feel the pain. It makes walking properly difficult. The xrays look fine and the surgeon isn't sure why I have the pain. It helps to take the anti inflammatory pain meds but I'm not a great pill taker. Ice helps a bit. I am concentrating on stepping correctly when walking (which I haven't done for 30 years and physio has been helpful for that).

I have to start back to work in Aug. and will be on my feet all day. Not really looking forward to that but getting back into routine will be wonderful. In the future I have to look forward to an ankle replacement on the same foot.

Darby

Old 07-24-2009, 11:03 PM   #2
(female)

lovelyladi HB User
Re: Pain with walking after triple arthrodesis

Hi Darby

My triple was Jan 15. I have pain if I walk too much (a few blocks) largely when I am swollen. I have the same swelling as you...lateral mostly (but actually whole leg is somewhat swollen up to knee area)orthopedic surgeon has same response, bones are fusing nicely. I cannot take NSAIDs because of other medical condition...so I am limited to Tylenol with Codein.

I have meet people who have had this surgery and say the swelling can last 2 years......sigh....

Hugs, Shelly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2009, 01:52 PM   #3
(female)

shelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB User

darby, new pain is normal. try checking into different types of shoes, sneakers. i have finally found some that i can take puppy for a walk and not feel too bad! well, surgery foot feels great but other one feels not too bad. it took many different tries to find the right shoes.

you will get many new pains. as long as you don't have the old pain. your foot has to get used to the new shape bone and all the soft tissue has to conform to that. my triple was may 2008 and i had 2 screws out this may 2009. i feel great!!!!! it takes time

shelley

Old 07-26-2009, 05:58 PM   #4
(female)

yaohua HB User

Darby, I have the same pain experience like you do. My PTTD surgery was 4/1/09, and I began weight bearing in tennis shoes on 6/22. That was the day I started having pain. My pain is in the area of the top of my foot (from the roots of toes to outside of the foot. The pain is gradually moving from top and outside of the foot to front and outside of the ankle. Although the top of the foot still hurts, but less pain than it was before. Based on experiences of Shelley and Shelly's respondes to you, this pain seems to be a normal process of the recovery. I have been weight bearing in tennis shoes about a month now, the pain comes and goes. Sometimes I walk with little pain, and there are days I walk with major pain. I have not figured out if the pain has anything to do with my activities yet. In fact, I don't do very much on any given day. I tried not to be on my feet too much. Also, I have just finished my 2nd round of PT. That was 2 months of PT. I am seeing my doctor at the end of August. Hopefully by then I don't have much pain any more. I also got two pairs of sandales (Finn Comfort and Drew). They are comfortable, but the pain does not go away when wearing these sandales. My doctor reminds me everytime I see him that it will take 10 months to a year before my foot is normal. I just want to make sure that the current pain is part of normal recovery process. Eight more months to go to be normal. I can't wait.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:33 PM   #5
(female)

darby3451 HB User

Hey, everyone, thanks for responding. It's good to know I'm not alone in this and that what I'm experiencing is normal. Even better to hear it from others going through it than from the doctor! Have a great day.

Darby

Old 07-28-2009, 09:08 AM   #6
(female)

lovelyladi HB User

Hi Darby

Just thought I would check in with another thought..

Understand that I am a total skeptic

I have been going for acupuncture and darn if the swelling isn't getting better. I do not know if it is coincidence, pacebo etc. It is certainly hot weather and I normally swell in this weather

Hugs, Shelly

Old 07-28-2009, 01:32 PM   #7
(female)

darby3451 HB User

Shelly, I'll keep acupuncture in mind. So far the swelling has not been as bad as what I thought it would be. I keep the ankle wrapped quite tightly with a tensor and will be wearing a compression sock when I go back to work next week. I imagine the swelling may increase when I'm walking for more hours at a time. I start back to work gradually - two hours every second day for two weeks, then 4 hours every second day for two weeks, then 6 hours, then 8 hours so it takes me two months to get back to my full time job. I think that's quite reasonable. And if at any point it becomes too challenging, we back up a step. Psychologically, I am soooo ready to get back to work and a routine (altho it has been nice to have time off in the summer). I'll let you know how it goes.

Darby

Old 11-22-2010, 09:13 AM   #8
(male)

dave11014 HB Userdave11014 HB User

can you tell me how old you are and why you had this done? and if its better now? how much time a day do you spend on your feet?

Closed Thread