It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2009, 12:18 PM   #1
(female)

fashaww HB User
Bunion surgery

I had bunion surgery and it has been 7 weeks and my foot looks the same as before surgery, except I have a scar. My foot still looks like I have a bunion. Why does it looks the same? I had surgery on my other foot three years ago and it looks very nice and totally different.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:45 PM   #2
(female)

earthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB User
Re: Bunion surgery

Hi fashaww, I know what you mean! I am also 7 weeks post op. I had both feet done at the same time and they didn't react the same to the surgery and they definitely don't heal the same way or speed. So it may be rather difficult to compare in your case.

Did you get this foot done by the same surgeon that you had three years ago? What you can do is to compare the x-rays done before and after the surgery of that foot to look at the metatarsal and the area between the bone and the outline (basically the edge of your flesh). I suspect your "bunion" now is possibly the swelling of the soft tissue and internal scar tissues. That foot may just have reacted to the insult a bit more than your other foot. Don't despair, I had the same thought as you when I looked at my feet, and wondering why they don't look as flat as I would like and still have that bump. The surgery outcome look great on xrays but I could tell the flesh (joint areas) have thicken from the few minutes after surgery to 6 weeks post op xrays. But of course, your surgeon would be the best person to ask. Good luck and speedy recovery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2009, 10:17 PM   #3
(female)

labrat1234 HB User

I had bunion surgery over 2 years ago, and the metatarsal bone and joint to the big toe is straight now, but there is still a bump on the side of my foot probably due to scar tissue and extra bone growth, I think. As long as your x-ray and alignment look good, I would not worry too much about a little bump. I am happy and pain free.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:32 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

leslietfj HB User

I have a new question for you who have gone through this before. I had my bunion surgery (1 foot) 11 days ago and recovery is coming along just fine. But for the last day or two I've begun having what feels like electric shocks in my toe! It doesn't hurt, but sometimes the jolt is so strong my foot actually jumps.

I did have some numbness in my toe before the surgery (part of what brought me to the doctor) and I'm assuming this is a sign that I'm having some nerve repair. But is this a typical response? The nerve'y feeling is not at the incision points but mostly right on the end of my toe and on top of my second toe.

And here's another question. I should get the stitches out in a couple weeks. I'm currently wrapped and using a boot when I walk. Will I be walking with crutches after that? What kind of shoe or boot do I transition to? And how soon do I go back to normal shoes .... I know I've got some shoe shopping to do. The doc said I need shoes with thick soles. I have a feeling that although I haven't worn heels regularly in YEARS I still wasn't buying good enough shoes. And my new Tod's loafers are too thin-soled which is a bummer since I have 2 pair. Thoughts?

Old 07-25-2009, 09:27 AM   #5
(female)

fashaww HB User

Thanks a lot for the info. Yes, the same surgeon did my other foot 3 years ago. I have an appointment scheduled in a few days and I will ask to see the x-rays. Again, thank you so much and good luck with your recovery as well. Both feet at the same time!! Wow!

Old 07-25-2009, 09:50 AM   #6
(female)

fashaww HB User

Thanks for your reply, it makes me feel more at ease...I have an appointment in a couple days.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:55 AM   #7
(female)

fashaww HB User

Thanks a lot for the info. Yes, the same surgeon did my other foot 3 years ago. I have an appointment scheduled in a few days and I will ask to see the x-rays. Again, thank you so much and good luck with your recovery as well. Both feet at the same time!! Wow!

I am a newbie and didn't post the reply properly the first time..... thanks

Closed Thread