It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
(female)

cosmo22 HB User
Cast is off --have questions

Had pttd surgery 2 months ago. Cast was removed yesterday. I had been waiting for this day forever. Surgery was on right foot so now I can drive!!
I had been walking with a cast shoe on my cast, unassisted for several days before cast removal. Little to no pain in cast. Dr said bone is 100% fused and tendon is looking good. He did not think I needed a boot. I left with the cast shoe. I cannot walk! My ankle will not bend and it hurts and feels very unstable. My heel is very numb. He ordered four weeks of physical therapy for range of motion. Sorry this post is so long-- I'm just a little depressed. I had this idea that I could just "get up and go".
Can anybody share their experiences. Did anybody go from cast to tennis shoe/cast shoe? How long does numbness last? Will ROM therapy help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
(female)

SoCalGal09 HB User
Re: Cast is off --have questions

Welcome Cosmo22!

Okay, let's see - you had surgery two months ago, what all did you have done? You said the bones are fused and the tendon looks good, but what exactly was done to your foot? There are so many differing pttd surgeries on here!

I had a heck of a lot done to my foot and I'm still in a boot. My surgery was on March 3rd (If you're counting, that's almost 5 months ago). SO going from cast to shoe is a pipe dream for me. Can't help you there.

But I can help you with the PT question. Yes! ROM exercises will definitely help get your foot back to the motion it needs to have to walk normal. I'm miffed he put you in a shoe before you had any PT, but all doctors are different. Make your appointment asap and get in there so you can get moving again.

The numbness - do you have screws? Even if not, remember, that foot was in a cast for two months, just hanging out relaxing. Now all the nerves and tendons have to work again and some might have forgotten how. You'll get zingy pains, numbness, etc. for awhile. If it continues, you need to bring it up with your doctor.

Don't try to force your foot! Just let it gradually get back to where it needs to be.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2009, 06:52 PM   #3
(female)

WorldWalker HB User

When I went from my cast I went into a boot and gradually worked my way into a shoe. I had to buy a pair a half size up to allow for swelling. I'm 5.5 months post op from PTTD surgery. I don't remember what I did for numbness. I do recall feeling like moving my foot around in a pool really helped me get comfortable with my new foot and PT was a godsend and range of motion especially on the right foot will be important to regain to help you drive. My first appointment was only a few minutes where he touched it and moved it ever so slightly, but now almost six months out I find myself still rotating my foot and doing ROM activities to try and stretch it. Enjoy your freedom and take care of your toes if you get bummed about not being 100% in dealing with the pain.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:06 PM   #4
(female)

cosmo22 HB User

I had calcaneal osteotomy, fdl tendon transfer, gastroc release. I had two large screws in osteotomy site. btw--lady was in office who had sx one week before me (same procedures). He put her in a boot for four weeks. He did not think her bones were fusing completely. I have an old boot, I may try it until pt appt on Monday. Thanks for replying. I love this board.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:21 PM   #5
(female)

cosmo22 HB User

update: one week since cast off. I saw physical therapist. She had no problems with skipping boot since dr was ok with going straight into tennis shoe. She wants me to continue with walker. I may transition to crutch or cane soon. She said the boot and cast shoe prevents the 'heel, ball, toe' movement when you walk. My gait is way off if I walk unassisted so she stressed the walker. I am walking much better this week. She uses a vacum pump to reduce the swelling so I can do ROM exercises.
Good luck to everyone--have a great weekend.

Closed Thread