It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2009, 08:41 AM   #1
(female)

Pegret HB User
Triple A on the other foot?

My Triple A surgery was done May 27 on the right foot. Cast off in 6 weeks. No PT ordered. I am walking well with the boot, and well in the pool barefoot. Do have swelling issues if I am not down with my foot over my heart 3 or so hours a day. I go back to the surgeon on Aug 10. He indicated I would be out of the boot and into tie shoes at that time. So here is my question. When can I do the other foot? This one has gone so well, I'm wondering if I can speed it up to October rather than next May. A couple of reasons why, first is I have all my co-pays and deductibles in for the year and it would save me $5000. Second is I really hate losing another summer. This second one would be my left foot and I would be able to drive by the first of the year if things go the same way as the first one. I own a tax business, so I could be back to workin 12 weeks fairly easily, I think.

Any way, have any of you had both feet done? In what time frame?

Old 07-29-2009, 08:48 PM   #2
(female)

yaohua HB User
Re: Triple A on the other foot?

I can't advice you on the timing of surgery for the other foot. But I can tell you my experience on recovery. I am 2 months ahead of you in recovery (my surger was 4/1/09). While I was in boot, I had no pain and very little swells. I walked around with ease in the boot without crutches. On 6/22 I was told that I could drop the boot and into tennis shoes. That was the time I started having lots of pain and lots of swells. Now it is more than a month later in tennis shoes, and I still have pains when I walk, and I still have swells if walk a little more than usual. The pain does not come from the incisions. The pain comes from top of the foot outside of the foot. From the experiences of some people on this board, this pain and swells in tennis shoes is a normal process of recovery. I don't know how long this is going to last. One of my PT exercises is standing on the surgery foot for 20 seconds x 5 sets. I still can't do it very well. It is just too much pain single foot standing. Just think that you will have to rely on this foot 100% while having surgery on the other foot. You might want to make your decision after you start wearing tennis shoes. Also, your doctor will be able to provide you with guidance. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
(female)

ggola HB User

I agree with Yaohua. Although I understand your position about insurance. I had the same issue with my knees last year. I had my meniscus repaired in January last year and that surgery not only had me meet my deductible but my out-of-pocket expense for the year so when my OS told me that I needed to have both of my knees replaced I told him he had to do it before the year was over. TKR are way easier that TA. I had my TA surgery in April and just had my hardware removed today. I'm hoping that the pain will ease and I can at least tie my tennis shoe before school starts August 24th since I teach 6th science. I don't think I will ever go through this again. Totally awful. You have to remember that each surgery is different not only with each person. My left knee was so easy but my right knee was not but compared to the TA it was easier. Good luck. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:27 PM   #4
(female)

lovelyladi HB User

I am totally amazed at how well you all are doing. I am 6 mos out and finally beginning to walk without a cane, but still have a lot of swelling and some pain (intermittent)

Hugs, Shelly

Old 07-30-2009, 11:20 AM   #5
(female)

shelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB Usershelleybutn HB User

if you can support yourself on your healing foot then you can do another surgery. if you can't then you have to wait. just remember how hard it was on your non-surgical foot....make sure it feels awesome before having the other one done.
shelley

Closed Thread