It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2009, 10:32 AM   #1
(female)

ladybretagne HB User
OCL of the Talus Post-Op Info?

Hi there!

My name's Brittany and I'm having debridement/drilling done in about two weeks to repair an OCL of the talus in my right ankle. I've been told six weeks NWB, then four weeks limited WB, and that I should be able to go back to my normal routine in three months. The thing that I am most worried about is that I work in retail full time and am on my feet eight hours a day, five days a week. My boss has been absolutely wonderful about my needing to go out (and the times when the pain was too much for me to come in and be on my feet all day leading up to the surgery) but I really wonder at what point can I even begin to consider going back to work part time or in some sort of modified capacity where I wouldn't have to be on my feet long term. If anyone has any insight that would be fantastic. Obviously my surgeon will give me all kinds of info and has been fantastic so far, but I'm a worrier by nature and a bit of a control freak.

The other question I have is what kind of shoes people have worn with their boots while on crutches or on partial WB? I'm having a hard time finding shoes that are tall enough and comfortable enough to work with the brace and I really can't afford to buy multiple pairs of shoes right before going out on disability for a couple of months! Any ideas would be fantastic.

Last edited by ladybretagne; 07-29-2009 at 10:33 AM. Reason: misspelled word

Old 07-29-2009, 11:27 AM   #2
(female)

dizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB User
Re: OCL of the Talus Post-Op Info?

Hi Brittnay,
Sorry you got to be here. I found a pair of shoes in a weird place. They were thru Shoes for Crews and the style is called Candy. They got a good inch or more. I have been in and out the the boot for 3 1/2 years and I like this height the best. Plus only $40.
As far as recoop. It has been a while since I had the drilling, I also worked on my feet all day, I don't remember going back to work full time till after about 8 weeks. However I have issues in both ankles, so going down to one hurts the other. and I had a fairly large lesion, and I'm mid 40's. Depending on your circumstances it may take alot shorter. Some people on the board were good in 4 weeks I believe. Please don't get discouraged cause of my case. I'm an orthopedic mess.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2009, 01:03 AM   #3
(female)

Sparksa HB User

Hi Brittany

If you work in retail and you are on your feet all day, then will be more realistic to return to work part time when you are full weight bearing, unless the crutches won't get in your way and if you go really slow.
I was off work until I could put weight on both feet. Now I'm 5 months post op and I can be on my feet for about 5 hours, then I need to sit for a bit to rest it.
Key word is patience... gotta have loats of it... and no matter how annoying and frustrating it, don't hurry, if you hurry and/or try to push it, might result in an unsuccessful surgery... take it easy

Sparks

Old 07-31-2009, 05:51 AM   #4
(female)

ladybretagne HB User

Thanks all!

Sparksa, my plan is definitely to not go back to work for probably three months or more, based on what my OS has said, unless they come up with some kind of modified duty for me. The problem is that my company will only cover 12 weeks of short term disability per 12 month period, so if I have to be out longer than that I'm not sure what I'll do. Like I said, I'll probably have to figure out if there's some kind of modified duty they can give me. I'm trying not to freak myself out thinking about that kind of stuff because I can't do anything about it now and there's so much to worry about that's more immediate.

Thanks for all your info, everyone. It's been very helpful. <3

Closed Thread