It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2009, 07:20 PM   #1
(female)

KD86 HB User
Pain in Heels when Standing

Hi all

For about the past week or so I get this dull achy pain in my heels when I am standing for any amount of time. The only way I can get relief is to be off of them. As soon as I take my heel of the floor I feel so much better.

The reason this is such a problem is that my job requires me to be on my feet. Usually I work the late afternoon into early evening shift which isn't that busy, so I can take time to sit and be off my heels. The problem is going to be next week when I am not only working in the busy part of the day (the morning), but I am also going to be working 9 hour days with no breaks (my boss doesn't give breaks; you work through lunch, etc.). I don't know if I can do it.

When I first mentioned this one of the people I work with suggested an orthodic that I should get that helps her. It does help a little (not enough to get my through 9 hours), but it bothers the arch in my foot. I am going shopping this weekend, so I am going to look for ones that cover only my heel to see if they are better.

The problem only occurs when I am standing in one place. I started walking to get in shape and am bothered a little (this is the only place the orthotics really seem to do anything). But for after like 10 minutes in the shower, my heels start to get real uncomfortable.

Any advice would be appreciated.
KD

Old 07-29-2009, 09:18 PM   #2
(female)

ggola HB User
Re: Pain in Heels when Standing

You may have a heel spur that is aggravating your Plantar Fasciitis. I would look into buying an orthotic that covers the whole foot. * link to commercial website removed by hb-mod, moderator * I started out with one that had a hard part at the arch and made my heel align up straight but I was having posterior tibial tendon issues and a fallen arch. Remember this is just my suggestions.

Last edited by hb-mod; 07-30-2009 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Please don't post commercial or personal websites, as per the Posting Policy. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2009, 05:19 AM   #3
(female)

KD86 HB User

Thanks ggola

I did some checking about plantar fasciitis online and is almost sounds like what I have. The only thing that doesn't match is the pain when getting out of bed in the morning. I don't have that. The only time I am in any discomfort is when I am standing for any period of time.

Is there anyway to tell if you have a heel spur without getting an X-RAY or is that the only way?

I bought Dr. Scholls gel cups for my heels hoping that they work better than the ones I had previously bought. Today is my first 9 hour day of the week. Fingers crossed that these help even the slightest bit.

KD

Old 08-10-2009, 01:03 AM   #4
(female)

Lissa_b24 HB User

Hello KD,

I was wondering how are you doing? how did you manage the new long hour shifts?
I am pretty much in the same situation as you are, I think you should check out a condition called fat pad antrophy (sp), it could be that you don't have enough padding on your heels, so more pressure is applied to your heel bone.

Hope this helps.

Lissa

Old 08-10-2009, 05:32 AM   #5
(female)

KD86 HB User

Lissa

I made it through...barely. I am so glad that its over. There is a chance that I might have to do it again next week, but I am going to tell them that I can't.

Thanks for asking

KD

Old 11-02-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
(female)

dorthea1941 HB User

I have a heel spur. Have had acupuncture, but really hasnt made a great deal of difference. Its mostly when i rest, then get up. Its a burning pain, i stretch and have once or twice had the ice bottle on it. Any other ways. I need my feet. Have lots to do. Thanks and hugs to all with this complaint. Its a crippler......

Closed Thread