It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
(female)

ggola HB User
Hardware removed

I had most of my hardware removed today. My surgery took 45 minutes. He removed 3 screws that were 1 1/2" long and one plate on top of my foot and the 4 1/2" screw in my heel. He did an endoscopic procedure to my Achilles because I have been having pain in my Achilles as my foot moved from the flat position to the ball then toes of my foot. My Dr. did not lengthen the Achilles during my first surgery in April. The correct name of the procedure is in my car and I can't get it right now. He said he also removed a heel spur.

Right now my restrictions are:

Activities:
* No driving for 24hrs
* limit activities for the remainder of the day.
* Do Not engage in sports, heavy work or heavy lifting for the next 24 hrs.

Wound care instructions:
* Do NOT remove dressing until seen by doctor (This will be hard but I think I can manage until my post-op appointment on Monday)
* Notify Dr if I experience excessive bleeding or signs of infection such as redness, swelling, pus, unusual drainage or fever over 100. (Duh)
* Avoid stress to the suture line such as pulling, pushing, lifting. (I know this is what PT was trying to explain to me yesterday when she was telling me that I had to be discharged from therapy...I get it...LOL)

I hope and pray I'm not gone from therapy long. I want to get this over with and it will be harder for me to get in to PT once I'm release to return to work and school starts since I'm a teacher.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2009, 08:09 AM   #2
(female)

yaohua HB User
Re: Hardware removed

GGola, Glad to hear that you are doing fine on the hardware removal. Here is a story I knew from a lady who had the same surgery done by my OS last year. Before my surgery I talked to her about her opinion on our OS. Her surgery was a year ago and she said that she can walk two miles, in regular shoes,.....no pain and no swells. She is happy with the surgery outcome. She told me that she is a high school teacher. She went back to work just a few weeks after surgery. At the non-weight bearing period of recovery, she took her kneewalker to school everyday. She could "walk" faster with her kneewalker than some students. At the time, she could not go for scheduled PT sessions because of her teaching obiligations. However, she received informal PT sessions from the school nurse. She said that she did not have to pay for the services and got relieved from pain and swell from the school nurse. This is just a thought, you may want to look into this possibility.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:20 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User
Re: Hardware removed

OK, you are now on the road to recovery. You'll be on those feet and walking before you know it. It will go fast. Pamper yourself now so you heal. Its only a few short weeks and then watch out you;ll be racing around the house on both feet and doing everything yourself.

Closed Thread