It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User
4.5 months update

Well things are moving very slowly. I sure wish surgery recovery didn't take so long. Went for my 4 1/2 month checkup. The holes where the screws were have closed and lok good. I get to go to PT for another 2 months and work on getting my muscles and tendons to work better. Right now the pain I am having is because I don't have enough strength in the muscles around the ankle to really support all the weight bearing. I thought something was really wrong for all the pain I'm in. It good to know I can fix it with alot of work.
So for all of you out there working on recovery from surgery hang tough we got lots of strength training to do. All our muscles are rebelling and we have to whip them back into shape. I was suprised that the one leg is sooooo
much smaller than the other one still. I look forward to the day the pain is gone. Hope this finds everyone healing and getting better.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
(female)

yaohua HB User
Re: 4.5 months update

Walleye, I am two weeks behind you on recovering from PTTD surgery. I follow your post to see how you are doing. I believe that I am having same experience like yours. I still have pain and swells when I walk. But I think that I am getting stronger and my gait is improving although far from perfect.

I finished 2 months of PT. Right now I am just exercising on my own. The last day of my PT, she gave me a list of exercises that I can do at home. I go to gym to work on elliptical and bike exercises, and some upper body exercises. Swim once a week.

Yes, my operated leg is also smaller than the other leg. This is because of the loss of muscle. My PT said that my muscle will come back.

I am also wearing .5 size bigger shoes to accommodate my swollen right foot. The sandals I bought are all with velcro straps from toe to ankle so they fit fine on both feet.

I don't always have noticeable improvements day after day. But somedays I do exceptional well with little pain or swells. Hope everyone is getting better with less pain and less swell.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

I only have to go to PT once aweek. Yeppie. But then the trade off is all those excersise I get to do at home. Its hard to remember them, but I do tend to walk alot and thats not the answer. Started squats, one leg stands for 20 seconds, heel raises, thera band and oh ya when I can make it to the basement the elipical and stationary bike. How am I going to fit in my job???? I shouldn't complain its for my own good.
Hope everyone is doing better

Old 08-02-2009, 08:19 PM   #4
(female)

SoCalGal09 HB User

I get to go down to PT once a week, too. I'm so happy about that. haha Remembering to do the exercises at home is tricky. I get so busy with other things. And really, picking up those blasted marbles with my toes is not my idea of high entertainment.

But we'll all just keep on keeping on, won't we?

Old 08-02-2009, 09:13 PM   #5
(female)

WorldWalker HB User

Just a tip since I'm a few steps ahead of you (Yes go ahead and laugh). I've been told the achilles tendon lengthening may slow your push recovery. So, my ballerina aspirations are on ice for now. I also wanted to say as you guys become more active don't forget all parts of your foot. As for me, I've graduated from PT and as my Doc said. Round 1 done. That was a good almost 6 months...right you guys? I mean how everyone feels now that there is improvement and investment other than rest ice compression and elevation it has got to feel good. Time away from rest and relaxation nears.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:48 PM   #6
(female)

bren073 HB User

Hello again, as you suggested I had hardware removed on 29th, using crutches, light weight bearing, surgery site bleeding little. Before I had surgery I asked Dr. what is pinching feeling on outside ankle above PTTD scar. He said just where he adjusted bone. I said well OK, don't want to go thru another surgery. He said it should be fine, sometimes it takes 1 to 1 1/2 yrs to recover from PTTD. Hope removing the screws help the heel pain. Scheduled to do the hula in Honolulu Sept. 20. Thanks all your replies

Old 08-03-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

Socalgal, I forgot about the marble thing I'm suppose to do that one too. Its kinda hard. Darn now I'll have to add that one back to the mix.
Worldwalker, The ballerina is good, send pics when you get to be one. Yes it sure looks like more to life than the laying around with the foot in the air and a cold ice pack. We can move on to crossing our legs and having a cold beer.
Bren, You go with the hula thing. Practice now and you'll look like the locals when you get there.

Closed Thread