It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2009, 04:40 AM   #1
(male)

oscodagp63 HB User
Angry Left foot bad bunion surgery

its been near a year since the second surgery on my left great toe halligis rigitis. I told the doc I wanted the same surgery he did 10 years ago on my right big toe,he ignord my request and did the "new" surgery where a pre angled plate is screwed in place. It clamped down on the top tendon. My big toe is looking skyward. the rest of the toes now carry my weight. I had the plate removed and told him of the pain problem. he removed the plate but did nothing about the angle or the tendon. The right foot works great, the left I can hardly walk on and especially bare foot. I am angry and am thinking of and attorney involvement. anyone else had this sort of problem? I liked this OS and just wish he would have listened and taken the time to do it right. If i boched a job like that on someones home I would be in court.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:50 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Left foot bad bunion surgery

OK, am very confused here but would like to try to help. First of all, hallux rigidus (that the proper spelling) is not a bunion. The surgeries for the two are different. What is the name of the procedure you were supposed to have and the one you actually had? For hallux rigidus it is usually a cheilectomy, with or without hardware, or a fusion wher the toe is fixed in place at an angle. For bunions, there are several different types of bunionectomies, each with a different name.

Hallux rigidus is where the joint has deteriorated and is arthritic and has little or no cartilege left. It is often caused by an injury (such as turf toe) or a continual action over time such as runner's toe, wearing pointy toed high heels, etc.

Bunions are a malformation of the joint - usually hereditary in nature. The bone of the big toe moves out at an angle to rest of the toes, thereby cramping/jamming them and pushing out on the side of the foot. The correction shortens the bone and moves it back in line with the metatarsal bone. It can be fixed in place with hardware also.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2009, 06:15 AM   #3
(male)

oscodagp63 HB User

hallux ridgius, that is what I have had to both great toes now. the right one actually is still a part of the forward walking process. the left one is looking skyward and does not contact the floor until the very last of the step therefore the other toes carry the majority of the effort. I have an insert which places my weight on the arch. Helps, but also not very comfortable. thanks

Old 08-02-2009, 02:00 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

So if the plate was removed, why is the toe still fixed? Was it actaully a fusion? Have you seen another doctor? Was it an ortho or a podiatrist?

Last edited by Titchou; 08-02-2009 at 02:01 PM.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:02 PM   #5
(male)

oscodagp63 HB User

Ortho. fusion. no other docs as yet. I was prety confident with this ortho as he did my other great toe fusion perfectly with no problems. I requested more than once he do the same to my left but he said this was the new better way.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:29 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

It sounds like a visit to another doctor is in order, even if it's just a second opinion for verification of whether it was surgery gone bad or the incorrect procedure.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:51 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Well, a fusion is not reversible. I would get a second opinion though as there are some options to make this better.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:43 PM   #8
(male)

oscodagp63 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Well, a fusion is not reversible. I would get a second opinion though as there are some options to make this better.
such as?

Old 08-05-2009, 06:53 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Various types of footwear and adaptations of them. Please see a foot and ankle ortho.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:33 AM   #10
(female)

skylergrace HB User

Hi, I could not pull up your original message about having a fusion on your left great toe some time ago and having a perfect outcome. It sounds like you had the same surgeon for your right foot/great toe and after you asked him to do the same surgery, he did something that was "new and improved" and now you are having problems. I, too, need to have either a fusion or joint replacement on my left great toe. I had a bunionectomy 4 years ago that went bad and I have had problems ever since. I had a 2nd surgery to try to get back the flexibility (by a different doctor) and that only worked for a short period of time. I now (2 years later) need to have either a fusion or joint replacement. To say the least, I am very scared to have a 3rd surgery. Do you have any advice on fusion vs. joint replacement? I have read other messages saying the joint replacement didn't work out and people had to have a fusion to fix the replacement problem. Please tell me as much as you can about your fusion surgery that worked really great, and what your doctor did to your other foot and why it has not worked for you. I appreciate whatever you can share!

Old 08-06-2009, 08:45 AM   #11
(female)

skylergrace HB User

Does anyone have an opinion on using an ortho. surgeon vs. a podiatrist? I had double bunionectomy 4 years ago by a podiatrist - the right foot works, but the left great toe is a mess! I had a 2nd surgery by an ortho. who didn't really correct the problem, but said my joint was "botched up" by the podiatrist. I now need to have either a fusion or a joint replacement. I would love to have an opinion on what anyone has been through with one or the other. I have read other message boards and find either surgery is very hard to recover from; some replacements didn't "seat" well and had to be removed and a fusion had to be done. Other people say the new plate doctor's are talking about is not the way to go and they have had to have those removed because they cause problems. I am in a great deal of pain, but am scared to have anything done at this point. I would love to hear what experience anyone has had and what advice anyone can share. Many thanks!

Old 08-06-2009, 10:26 AM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

I think the technology on the implants is just not where it needs to be yet...and that seems to be esp true for females. So it would seem the fusion would be only option. I suggest you see a sports med ortho who has a foot and ankle specialty. There are several good ones int he Chicago area from posts by others on this board. Maybe someone will suggest one.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:29 AM   #13
(female)

skylergrace HB User

I really appreciate your note and suggestion. I am new to this Board and am not sure how to find a recommendation. Should I begin a new thread and ask if someone has had a good experience with a particular surgeon, or find a thread that might have that subject already?

Old 08-06-2009, 01:12 PM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

Yes, I would begin a new thread asking for a recommendation in the Chicago area. Also, ask your PCP or any other docs you may have for a recommendation. And your friends...though most people tend to say they like the ones that are touchy feely best whereas I don't really give a flap about their bedside manner! I want the best doc I can find!

Old 08-06-2009, 02:11 PM   #15
(female)

skylergrace HB User

I could not agree with you more! I want the best doctor I can find. Again, thanks for your note.

Closed Thread