It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
(female)

Purple904 HB User
anyone with tarsal tunnel that can help me?

I have been to different Dr.s...not all have given me the same diagnosis. One of the diagnosis's is tarsal tunnel.

My symptoms are burning, tightness, and pain in my feet. I have had this for 3 years and very frustrated!

Can anyone help me that has tarsal tunnel? Can you tell me what your symptoms are and how long is took you to get diagnosed? Have you had surgery?

Old 08-03-2009, 08:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User
Re: anyone with tarsal tunnel that can help me?

Hi, and welcome to the board. I have Anterior Tarsal Tunnel which causes pain across the top of the foot rather than the "traditional" tarsal tunnel where the pain is along the medial side of the foot. But I do have burning, tingling, aching and sometimes sharp pains.

I was diagnosed through a Nerve Conduction Study/EMG which showed that I have no conduction through the deep Peroneal Nerve. I have had some success with injections to block the nerve. I have opted not to have surgery as I have already had foot reconstruction followed by Peroneal tendon surgery followed by arthroscopy and debridement. My tarsal tunnel is likely caused by scar tissue and it is suspected that I have nerve damage, not just entrapment. Surgery would not be successful for nerve damage.

Have they put you on any medication for it? I didn't have much luck with the traditional nerve meds (Lyrica, Neurontin) due to side effects but I was recently put on Cymbalta and so far so good.

I know it's frustrating when you have pain and are unsure of your diagnosis. Hopefully you can get some clarity soon. I'll be happy to answer any questions that I can.

emmie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2009, 06:52 AM   #3
(female)

Purple904 HB User

Hi Emmie

Thanks for responding to my question. I also took the nerve conduction study which did not show anything. I do not have tingling, but have severe pain, burning and tightness on the bottom of my feet. I also have pain on my left ankle...which makes walking very painful. I have found it depressing how DR.s can have so many different opinions on the same symptoms. I have struggled with this for about 3 years and it has changed my lifestyle.

I fear surgery...maybe I am foolish to think that. I have heard that it is not always successful.

I am waiting to hear from the Mayo to see if I can get an appt!

Old 08-04-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

Have you seen an orthopaedic foot and ankle surgeon? Have you had an MRI?

Old 08-05-2009, 02:56 PM   #5
(female)

Purple904 HB User

Yes I have gone to a foot and ankle orthopedic surgeon and had an M R I . He wanted to do a cortisone shot which I have not had yet. One Dr. thought I had PTTD but the direction seems to be leaning more to tarsal tunnel. since you have opted not to have surgery, can you get rid of this by other options, or just live with it. I tried Neurotin but it really zonked me out.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
(female)

patient007 HB User

[QUOTE=Purple904;4050705]I have been to different Dr.s...not all have given me the same diagnosis. One of the diagnosis's is tarsal tunnel.

My symptoms are burning, tightness, and pain in my feet. I have had this for 3 years and very frustrated!

Can anyone help me that has tarsal tunnel? Can you tell me what your symptoms are and how long is took you to get diagnosed? Have you had surgery?[/QUOTE]

I am not sure how helpful this will be but I have been trying to find an answer for the pain in my feet since 2004. The problem is that there seem to be several issues with my feet and many different things that can cause the same pain so diagnosis is really difficult.

That said I will stick with what we know.
1) I have RA
2) The RA isn't the cause of all the foot pain.
3) I had Carpal Tunnel & the surgery successfully. I am told that if you have Carpal Tunnel you are more likely to get Tarsal Tunnel.
4) The pain in my feet is getting worse reguardless of what treatment is being tried.

[B]Symptoms[/B] - burning (like my feet are on fire from the inside out), numbness to the point of pain, tingling, unable to have anything touch them like covers, socks or shoes. Pain worse at night, or if I have to be up on them long.

I have had test after test, and medication, physical therapy, rest, ect and nothing is making the symptoms stay away other than rest. Once back on my feet I am miserable again. I can't wear shoes. It is just impossible to live like this. None of my tests were 100% conclusive that this was Tarsal Tunnel other than the tapping the doctor did at my ankle to see if it caused the same burning, tingling type of pain and it did.

The first time the doctor did a steriod shot by my ankle was the first time since 2004 my feet had no pain. I went from a 8 to 0 in a matter of seconds and it lasted for a bit. The second shot we had much the same results but the doctor did warn this is not a long term option. This is when I started looking in to having the surgery.

I have spent the past 8 months reading everything I could on Tarsal Tunnel to decide if I wanted to try the surgery. My doctor explained any surgery that involves the nerves is difficult to predict an out come. It could be worse, better or unchanged.

I finally decided I was going to go for the surgery. I feel like I am rolling the dice here but I am willing to take the chance that this will help me. My Carpel Tunnel Surgery did wonderfully for my hands so here is hoping.

My surgery was last Wednesday. I must say I was pretty worried about the pain from reading others blogs. If you are considering surgery do not worry about the pain. I can honestly say I have not been in any real pain.
[B]
My Tarsal Tunnel Surgery Diary:[/B]

Sept 23 2009: Arrived at the hospital 7:45 A. M.

The nurse went over all the usual pre surgical questions and medications I would be getting.

Since we were not going with a general anesthetic I received a nerve block before going into the OR. I also was given a couple shots to relax me before the nerve block was done.

9:00 A. M. -In the OR I was given heavy sedation, which I do remember them saying we are going to start the medication and it may sting but I didnít feel a thing. I really do not remember anything until I was back in the room with my husband.

We went over the post op instructions and I was released. My foot was still totally numbed up to my knee.

Not sure exactly what time we left the hospital. We got lunch to go on the way back home. Noted my leg from the knee down was still completely numb.

Getting around on the Knee Walker is harder than I thought, but better than crutches. I wouldn't be able to use crutches due to spine issues.

I am icing my foot every hour to keep the swelling down per the doctorís instructions and keeping it elevated.

Sept 24 2009: Didnít sleep much, but that isnít unusual for me. Wok up at 6 A M and my foot and ankle are still numb. Called to let the doctor know and was told this is normal for up to 30 hours. They told me 12 to 14 at the hospital. Google confirmed the doctorís view.

Foot feeling did return around 5 P.M. and I can wiggle my toes. Not really in pain. I am continuing to ice it every hour and keeping it elevated.

Sept 25 2009: I took a Lunesta last night so I could sleep. I woke at 6 A. M. but ended up sleeping on an off all day. Guess I am sleeping out all the sedation that was given to me. My foot is not really hurting much but it is getting itchy. I am still icing it every hour and keeping the foot elevated.

Sept 26 2009: Was able to sleep ok last night. My foot doesnít feel too bad this morning. Little itchy, little sore but over all well under the pain I expected after reading the blogs before surgery. In fact I wouldnít say I have experienced pain at all. Some minor discomfort would be more likely what I would call what I have felt so faer. I donít see any swelling or discoloration. I am still icing my foot every hour and keeping the foot elevated.

I decided to sit up in the living room for a bit but noted that it is harder to get in and out of the chair and using the scooter is harder to maneuver in tight spaces. It seems this afternoon my foot is a bit more cranky but still manageable.

Sept 27 2009: Woke up about 7 A. M. Foot is doing fine. I lost the wedge I had it elevated on last night. Guess that means I moved around in my sleep a bit. I am not sure how long it wasnít on the wedge, but it doesnít feel bad. Put my foot back on the wedge. Getting bored just laying around.

I am still icing my foot every hour and keeping the foot elevated.

Sept 28 2009: Today was supposed to be my first post op doctor visit, but someone scheduled it at the wrong office. Appointment is now set for Thursday.

The doctor did call last night to see how I was doing. It is hard to say if the surgery has resolved the issue because I am not weight bearing. I was also told that like Carpal Tunnel the nerve can take up to a year to heal so time will tell. I am not in pain, no swelling, no sign of blood on the dressing.

I am still icing my foot every hour and keeping the foot elevated per the doctors orders.

It is going to be awhile before I know if this worked but I will try to update regularly as to what is going on.

My current plan is to have the left foot done Nov 4 unless there is a complication.

The Following User Says Thank You to patient007 For This Useful Post:
candydimples (07-21-2011)
Old 09-29-2009, 11:28 AM   #7
(female)

patient007 HB User

I can understand your frustration. Since 2004 I have tried to find the cause of my foot pain and also have gotten several diagnosis from the doctors. I have tried so many things to relieve the pain. The conclussion is that I have more than one thing causing the problem.

As I posted earlier I just had the surgery. I am not in pain right now but then the feet are always better if I am not on them. The test will be once I am able to be up and walking to see if the surgery worked. But my feet felt so bad I felt it worth doing the surgery to try to get some relief.

Update today: Still not having any real pain. The area that was cut is now a bit itchy. I am struggling to be good and keep my foot elevated because I really feel quite good. But I am going to follow the docs orders to the letter. Tomorrow is the 1 week mark.

Patient007

Closed Thread