It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2009, 01:37 AM   #1
(male)

Jrtfoot HB User
How long till I dance again????

I"m a dancer and will be getting bunion surgery(chevron) on august 18th. How long will it take to recover and when will I be able to actually dance on it? I figure my doc will give me a very conservative timeframe, I wonder what experiences all of you had in contrast to what your doc told you?

Old 08-04-2009, 02:57 AM   #2
(female)

earthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB User
Re: How long till I dance again????

Hi Jrtfoot,

I don't really have an answer to that. Your doc will give you a timeframe but you will be the one to know for sure when you are ready. One thing I learn from this forum is that everyone heals differently even if comparing own two feet. Chevron is one of the least complicated procedures but the outcome will still depend on your surgeon, the surgery itself, and your healing power. I have three words for you: patience, patience, patience

My OS told me no jumping/hiking for 3 months. I am 9 weeks post op tomorrow, and I have been learning to walk properly for the past 2 weeks. A friend of mine was already walking and being "normal" at 2 weeks! For myself, I will wait for the three months, get the x-rays for confirmation before I will put on my dancing shoes, but I have a feeling I will wait even longer. If you are a professional dancer, I guess you don't have the luxury to wait too long. At least you don't have to wear heels Best of luck on your surgery! Get everything ready before the big day!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2009, 07:15 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

dancergal19 HB User
Re: How long till I dance again????

How invasive is the chevron procedure? Will you be non-weight bearing?

I had a pretty invasive procedure and was on crutches for 6 weeks and then in an aircast for another 12. I was able to dance after about 6 or 7 months but it wasn't easy. My foot got sore and swollen during class (it hurt to wear a ballet shoe). I think I was totally back to normal after 10 or 11 months (luckily the foot I had done was not my supporting leg for turns or else it would have been much longer).

Make sure you listen to what your doc says. If you rush the healing process you could end up having long-term complications. Also make sure to massage the scar tissue on a daily basis to help get your foot back to normal and definitely ask your doc about physical therapy if he/she hasn't mentioned it already.

Good luck, you'll be dancing again before you know it!

Closed Thread