It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2009, 08:40 AM   #1
(female)

cj1986 HB User
Gastroc Release Surgery yesterday

I had my Gastroc Release (slide/recession) yesterday and was definitely not prepared. I ended up getting a nerve block in the back of my knee and then was put under twilight sedation. The nerve block was surprisingly painful. Surgery went well and I came off the anesthesia just fine, in a surgical cast... but even with the numbness of the nerve block I could still feel some pain. The surgery was at 1:30 in the afternoon and by 11:00 I was in a descent amount of pain. Didn't sleep much during the night, and then got sick on the way to the bathroom this morning. I was definitely not expecting to have much pain at all, so this was a big shock.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:20 PM   #2
(female)

TailWagger HB User
Re: Gastroc Release Surgery yesterday

I'm sorry to hear you had pain. It would be interesting to know what was different about your procedure vs mine (I had no pain). I know I had a sciatic nerve block and it was administered in the back of my thigh after I was put to sleep in the prep room. Once I got into the OR they also put a tube down my throat and I would guess deeper sleep.

I hope you feel better soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
(female)

cj1986 HB User

I heard someone in the room next to me getting a nerve block done on their shoulder and I was terrified of it. I kept asking them to do the nerve block after they sedated me, which the nurses and my surgeon said they've done before, but the anesthesiologist refused. So they did the sciatic nerve block (popliteal region I believe, just above the crease in my knee) right before they administered the twilight sedation. After surgery I had very little pain, maybe a 2 or 3, moreso could just feel some pressure. I took my first set of pain meds at like 5:00 that night, but then waited till 11 or 1130. I was figuring that with the nerve block I could push the meds to every 6 hours... and unfortunately I think that was too late. I've been taking the meds between 4-5 hours now and have gotten the pain much more under control. The first night and next morning were the worst, but today is a great deal better. Some slight soreness while laying, and then if i get up to use the bathroom, some pain at the beginning as the blood rushes to it. And beginning today, some cramping. All much much more tolerable today though.

I did really well when I had the Topaz surgery, and only got little shocks or twinges of pain here and there, and I just figured this would be a piece of cake. I hadn't really expected any pain at all. But I'm doing better now, and still very hopeful and optimistic that it will be beneficial. The surgeon originally wanted to keep me in the cast for 2 weeks, but decided in pre-op that he thinks I'll be able to get out of it sooner. I see him on Tuesday, 1 week post-op, and he thinks I'll be able to move into the boot at that point. I'm anxious to see what my leg looks like underneath, not sure what type of closures I have on the incision. And I cant wait to scratch my leg. haha

How long did you say you were in a cast? And did you notice any atrophy in your calf? Was it noticeably smaller?

Old 08-06-2009, 12:09 PM   #4
(female)

skylergrace HB User

Hi CJ1986, I originally found you in a thread asking about surgeons in Chicago. I, too, am looking for the best surgeon in Chicago to do my foot surgery. I read that Jflash3 referred you to Armen Kelikian at Northwestern. I have also met with Dr. Kelikian and have considered having him do my surgery. Please let me know if this is the doctor you used for your surgery and if you are happy with him. I realize you just had surgery and it might be too soon for you to comment, but I am terrified of having my foot operated on a 3rd time and need to be sure my next doctor-choice is the right one! In my 2nd foot surgery, I also had a similar nerve block - I wasn't prepared for the amount of pain I would experience once it wore off - I can relate! I wish someone would have warned me. It sounds like you are doing well and are on the mend. Foot surgery is very difficult to get through and takes a long time to recover from. I hope you are feeling better and are happy you decided to go through with it. Any advice you can share about Dr. Kelikian would be very much appreciated!! Thank you in advance.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:57 PM   #5
(female)

cj1986 HB User

Skyler- I replied in that other thread about my experience with dr. kelikian. I shared your same concerns, and ultimately used his experience as my deciding factor. he talks and moves everything along very fast and abruptly... and at first I wasn't sure if he was being thorough enough or had all of the relevant facts, but on the flipside, it did just kind of seem like he knew what I was going to say and completely understood what I was feeling. From researching him, he did seem to be the best. And I figure I dont have to go hang out at a bar with him or anything, and wouldn't be awake most of the time I did have to deal with him. Haha. At this point, I am optimistic that it was the right decision for me. Hopefully in a few weeks I will still feel that way. Medically/Surgically speaking, there was no reason for me not to go with him. Personality wise, it wouldve been nice for a little more friendly personality, but ultimately I decided the experience was what was important. I could not find anything online to discourage my from using him for my surgery.

The nerve block... the nurses did warn me and told me to stay on my pill schedule regardless of if I felt pain or not. The kept saying its harder to chase the pain and catch up to it, and much easier to just prevent the onset of it. I thought the first night I could get away with taking the pill every 6 hours, but for me that was to long. Now that I'm taking it ever 4-5 hours I feel much better!!! They were right about chasing the pain though. Lesson Learned! haha

What type of procedure are you looking to have done? What other doctors have you seen or are you considering? Maybe I've seen some of them.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:58 PM   #6
(female)

skylergrace HB User

You have probably found my other reply by now, but wanted to just thank you again for your input. I believe Dr. K. is the best choice; after having 2 other surgeries that didn't work out, I am not taking any chances this time! I believe the doctor you saw at Rush is in the with surgeon who did my 2nd surgery; Dr. Simon Lee. He studied under Dr. K. Take care and best of luck!

Old 08-06-2009, 07:26 PM   #7
(female)

TailWagger HB User

I never had a cast. My leg was gauzed and wrapped in an ace bandage and I woke up in a CAM boot. I took the boot off a couple of times a day for the first week to give the leg some air, but never undid the ace. Then at my one week checkup the wraps came off and I just had the boot.

I'm at 5 weeks now and my legs look the same size but I definitely am missing muscle use. I can't go up on my toes at all. I can stand and my brain tells my heel to raise up, but, nothing! I've now started stretching, exercises with a stretchy band, and double leg toe raises. Since I have no power to push off my toes, I still limp too.

Last edited by TailWagger; 08-06-2009 at 07:31 PM.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:41 PM   #8
(female)

cj1986 HB User

Got my cast off today. Was pleasantly surprised at how clean everything looked. Only a little bit of bruising around the incision, but much less than I had imagined. The doctor didnt say much, but put me in a CAM boot and told me to start doing my stretches. He said he didn't think he needed to send me to PT so long as I did my wall calf stretches, and the toe raises. I'm still walking with the assistance of the crutches, as I couldn't even imagine being full weight bearing. When I apply weight it gets a cramping feeling and almost feels like the muscles going to tear. Hopefully that will get better soon so I can start doing the stretches and get back to normal. I'm in the boot for 4 weeks. After 2 weeks I can wear a gym shoe around the house, but need the boot if I leave. He did say I could take the boot off to drive, and said I could bike a little if I felt ok doing so.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:41 PM   #9
(female)

WorldWalker HB User

Hey everyone, this is my second surgery and I still was not prepared for the sting that comes after the pain block. I have no idea what to do but take the meds to keep up with the pain. I forgot the time span, but ice has failed to work for me.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:37 PM   #10
(female)

cj1986 HB User

Worldwalker-
I'm assuming u had gastroc release? When did you have surgery? My nerve block wore off much faster than expected so I was a little behind with the pain meds. Take the meds at the 4 hour intervals until the pain becomes more manageable. Lay down and keep the foot elevated, and soon enough the pain should subside. I'm not sure what pain meds they give you, but if they don't seem to be working after a while, contact your doctor for something else. I was in a cast so icing wasn't an option for me, but you could also try putting an ice pack behind your knee.

Closed Thread