It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2009, 09:32 AM   #1
(female)

Kendra01 HB UserKendra01 HB User
Need advice on plantar fasciitis problem

Has anyone had any experience with this situation?

App. 8 weeks ago I developed plantar fasciitis in my right foot. I saw a podiatrist and began wearing inserts in my walking shoes which he instructed was the only way to improve. The inserts only fit in my running shoes so that it what I have worn exclusively for the past 8 weeks. I also went on line and found some exercises to do for my foot. The podiarist never mentioned those. They include stretching the foot.

I did the above for about 8 weeks on a daily basis and saw no real improvement. My foot was actually worse than when I started. Then this past Monday I had to appear for my job in a place where I could not wear the shoes with inserts. I wore a low wedge heel from Monday through Wednesday all day on those days. I happened to notice last night that I had no pain in my foot. I felt it this morning and there was only a slight soreness to it. I am in shock. How can this be?

Now I am confused. It seems as if the shoe I was told not to wear has performed a miracle. Is this a case of marketing these inserts and special shoes by foot doctors? I just talked to a girl who works nearby and she had a smiliar experience to mine.

Should I abandon those inserts? I wore the low heel wedges today. I'm scared to now go back to a flat shoe.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2009, 01:23 PM   #2
(female)

Calrunner HB User
Re: Need advice on plantar fasciitis problem

If your PF is being caused by tight calf muscles, then it makes sense that the wedge heels would help. Maybe try a heel lift in your flat shoes, and see if you notice an improvement. Also, when the pain has subsided, focus on stretching your calves. Hope it helps! (I'm dealing with heel spurs, and still looking for a solution to that!)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User

I developed that pain in both my feet almost overnight about 3 months ago. nothing would help me. Exercises, ice bottle, etc. I started wearing crocs a lot and bought some inserts but nothing has helped.

At night i am in agony if I get up to go to the bathroom. but now it is only one foot not both!

Well, we went out to dinner, and I wore a low heeled sandal --not flat-- with a 1 inch heel or less. While wearing those my feet were ok.

but i cannot wear those everyday. it's not safe they have kind of a round shape heel.

So I agree. what gives? And I spent 150 on special sandals. Has not helped. The people there said this foot issue is like an epidemic.

But the shoes they recommend are OVER RATED.

you know it is my heel that hurts the most. I wonder if my problem is a heel spur.

What is that anyhow?

Last edited by golfhat; 08-06-2009 at 04:36 PM.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
(female)

I have had VERY tight leg muscles, but I have had them for 3 years! I have seen about 5 doctors in that time to find out why I have tight, stiff and weak leg muscles, but don't have an answer.

I did discover I am hypothyroid and Vitamin D deficient and have started on meds. I thought there was a conection, but now not so sure.

I'm going to see another doctor soon. I'll report back.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:58 PM   #5
(female)

My pain started suddenly too and I know why. I have very high arches. I walked several miles in a pair of shoes without enough arch support. I could feel it happening. I should have stopped and called a cab, but didn't. Anyway, I have always worn heels and never had a problem. I know it was the flat shoe without arch support.

My friend at work also has fasciitis, but hers is in her heel. It can be in different parts of your foot. She thought she had heel spurs for awhile. I'm not sure what heel spurs are, but my pain is in the inside of the foot just where the arch is. My friend at work says she can only wear a low heel wedge shoe now. I think I may be in the same boat. She said there is a night brace you can get to sleep in. She says it hurts a little, but will make it feel better in the day time. I am going to check out order it.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:57 PM   #6
(female)

cj1986 HB User

I'm 23, have had flat feet, torn my arch, partially tore my ptt, and have chronic heel pain. The inserts are not a marketing ploy, although they may not work for everyone. Some doctors believe in heel cups, some believe in full length inserts, some believe in soft ones, some in hard ones. Just like some people have success with therapy and stretching, and some people dont. the problem with plantar fasciitis is that it can present itself in different way, and some treatments that work for some do not work for others. There are too many factors that play into it for there to be one specific treatment plan. Its usually trial and error to find something that helps. For most people it takes years to find something that works, and some never get a solution. I've been dealing with this since I was about 13, have had every form on non-surgical treatment and two surgeries to correct it. For some people, wearing a low heel on their shoe makes a huge improvement. As far as the night splint, I would try it out. Mine helped some. They do take a while to get used to though.

Kendra, I also have very tight calf muscles. Infact I had surgery two days ago on my right calf. I had a gastroc release (aka gastroc slide, gastroc recession) performed which should help lengthen my calf muscle. Currently its throwing off the alignment of my foot and contributing to my plantar fasciitis.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:54 AM   #7
(female)

Thank you for that info. Do you know what is causing your tight calf muscles? I have been tested for every kind of thing related to leg muscles you can think of. ALS, MS, fibro myaligia, etc. All are negative. I am now getting tight muscles in my arms too.

I now wonder if the tight leg muscles are aggravating my foot condition. What kind of doctor do you think I should see? I was planning to see another rheumatolgist, even though I don't have arthritis. I am a Type I diabetic and have Eczema, both autoimmue disorders.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:10 AM   #8
(female)

cj1986 HB User

They never discussed a cause.

I've been a competitive athlete my whole life. at 13 I started experiencing heel and foot pain. They diagnosed it as Sever's disease, which in lamen's terms, is just a growth disorder common in athletes, where my muscles and bones are growing at different rates because of overuse. Basically over time the calf muscles just never really stretched as much they should have. Stretching exercises and night splints can help this. After my surgeon brought this to my attention I really focused on stretching for a couple months. If I was watching tv I would stretch during commercials, at the gym a few times, basically whenever I thought about it. I didnt really see any improvements, so we decided to surgically help this along. My surgeon is just an orthopedic surgeon, specializing in lower leg (anything below the knee, primarily foot and ankles). All of my foot problems are related so this is just one step that would hopefully improve everything.

Look at the orthopedic surgeons in your area. Check out which ones the local professional teams use. My surgeon works with the Blackhawks and Bears players, so I knew he was more than qualified. good luck

Closed Thread