It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2009, 02:52 AM   #1
(female)

Carrue HB User
Advice for Bunion Surgery??

Hello all,

I am new to this and have never posted to any message board in general....
I am a 27 year old female who will be having bunion surgery next month in September (to be specific - metatarsal osteotomy in hallux valgus on left foot). I am planning on having my right foot done early next year. I have been needing this to be done for a while and my husband and I are in the fortunate position to be able for me to take the time to go through with the procedure. I have the fortune of bunions being inherited from my mother's side of the family (gotta love those genes!). My mom had a bunionectomy years ago and now her feet are the same as they once were.

Ok. To make the long story short, I was hoping that any of you that have gone through the surgical treatment could give me some advice in regards to preparation before I go through surgery. Anything would be much appreciated. I really trust and have attained much information from my podiatrist, but she, unlike you guys, has not gone through this. So if you guys could tell me for example any tips on how to be prepared to take a shower, go to the bathroom, wheelchair v crutches, pain medication, how to not drive my husband crazy, how to not go crazy bored laying in bed, etc. etc. etc., it would be much appreciated!! Hopefully I will be able to contribute by sharing my experiences with those who will be in my position in the future!!!

Take care,
carrie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2009, 08:49 AM   #2
(female)

monster bunion HB User
Re: Advice for Bunion Surgery??

Hi Carrie,
Welcome to the boards. You are doing the right thing by asking questions and trying to prepare early for bunion surgery. If you type in "how to prepare for bunion surgery" in the upper left hand corner where it says "SEARCH", you will get a list of different threads on how people prepare for bunion surgery. You should do fine, your type of bunion therapy is very routine.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
(female)

summerluvr HB User

My doctor told me to sit around with my foot elevated for 6 weeks so that's what I did, it was kind of boring, but I found trying to get up and move around and do stuff pretty exhausting so I didn't feel like doing much. Going back to work after 5 weeks was pretty exhausting and it took me a little longer then expected to get back with it. One year later I have zero pain or problems with the foot (I had a lapidus procedure for sever bunion on right foot) and am going for a consult for my left foot on Friday. (it is not as severe so he might use a different procedure) I had no cast just the shoe thing. My procedure involved a fusion of the metatarsal up around the ankle and three screws to hold it in place. the bunion part itself was not that painful, but the fusion hurt some. I'm fairly fit / healthy and 31.

Good luck!

Old 08-18-2009, 07:32 AM   #4
(female)

skylergrace HB User

Carrie,
I had a double bunionectomy done in 2004 by a Podiatrist, along with a 2nd toe being pinned on my right foot. After that surgery, I vowed I would never, ever have surgery again by a Podiatrist. Please be sure you have the best doctor for your surgery. If you haven't yet, please try to find an Ortho. surgeon in your area who specializes in ankles and feet. Try to find out who the surgeon is in your area for your sports teams - that is always the best place to find the best doctors. Also, I was 48 when I had my surgery and you are 27 - you should heal much quicker!

When this Podiatrist did my surgery, who was also female, she used screws to hold the bunionectomy in place that were made of an absorbable material and I was told my body would absorb this material and do fine. What she didn't tell me was there was a chance my body can reject this material and mine did. I was in a great deal of pain for a very long time! My feet were swollen and stiff for over 1 1/2 years! She didn't recommend P.T. and actually told me it would "make my feet hurt worse" - P.T. is such an important part of your recovery! I listened to her and am now paying the price. It took 2 1/2 years for the swelling to finally go down in my right foot (the one that was pinned as well) and my left foot never recovered. I needed to have a 2nd surgery done on my left foot to try to correct the damage that was done. When the Ortho. surgeon was in surgery, he told me she had "botched up" my joint so badly that he could foresee I would eventually need to have a fusion and that is where I am today. I have thought about a law suit against the Pod, but have found out that it is nearly impossible to sue one because they will not testify against each other. Please be sure you have the right doctor for your surgery. I have read more than one board on this site also warning people about using a Pod. vs. an Ortho. surgeon. A 2nd opionion never hurts!

Sorry if my note and comments scare you, but I have been burned by using a Podiatrist and have read other notes and have met other people who have had bad luck having them do surgery on their feet.

Closed Thread