It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2009, 08:49 AM   #1
(female)

Nixstix HB User
MTPJ Cartilage Operation

3 weeks ago I had a a type of cartilage graft called an oats proceedure on the first metatarsal head joint. I had 1cm squared of dead cartilage removed, holes cored out and bone and cartilage plugged into the holes. I have not managed to find any other people on the blog who have had this type of repair done in the foot. My recovery is going well but the dr was sceptical about the amount to recovery I can expect. I would love to have other peoples experiences and tips to recovery. If this does not work I will be having the joint fused.

Anyone out their have any info on cartilage repair and recovery in the foot?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
(female)

dizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB User
Re: MTPJ Cartilage Operation

Nixstix,
I had the oats on my talus bone in the ankle. There are alot of us out here.
The recovery was long with the ankle. I am not sure with where yours is. I know the bones need alot of healing time, about 3 months. But I am not sure how much weight bearing you can have. Did you get the cartilage from a cadavair or from yourself? They took mine from my knee so that had to heal too. Since all your weight is on the ankle when walking, the full recovery took almost a year. I think weght bearing started after 3 months. But back to full normal was a year. Ice abd elevate! I cannot stress that enough. follow doc orders and don't over push yourself. pain and swelling is a sign to stop.
Take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2009, 02:44 AM   #3
(female)

Nixstix HB User

Hi Dizzizzi99,

Yay, so nice to get a response and some feedback. My graft is to the cartilage in the ball of the foot. They plan to get me doing physio and walking a bit after 6 weeks. It is not as weightbearing as the ankle I imagin, but it is a high friction area with the movement of walking. I did not know that they harvest from cadavers and I am pleased to say they harvested from my joints in the same area. My surgeon did mention that we would only know the full outcome after 1 year. I got into this predicament by not listening to my body and running through pain so I will definitely be listening now, resting and healing.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
(female)

dizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB User

Nixstix,
For some reason I thought it was the big toe joint. But yes, The ball of the foot will be a whole different recovery. Every step you take you push off on that one. Well looks like a year, however, you'll be up long before that. Even after 6 months other people do well with everything. I think that i was pretty good at 8 months but then winter hit and that tends to make everything hurt again for me. Sometimes I get a limp going even now at 18 months out. Today was super humid and I had alot of pain but it seemed more muscle than bone. I think that after you rest your leg for so long all the muscles get weak and the ligiments tighten up and getting all that back to normal accounts for alot of the physio time. Sometimes it seems to be a -two steps forward and one step back- kind of thing. You will make great progress and then 2 days later have a bad day. It seems like it will be a long time but it will go faster than you think.
Take care.

Closed Thread