It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
(female)

lmrich HB User
pttd - pain, post surgery - depressing (don't read if you are just starting)

a little background... I had surgery on the navicular bone 18 years ago because of a flat foot and foot pain. I woke up April 29, 2009 with acute pain and found walking extrememly uncomfortable. MRI revealed a shredded PTT and I did the casting and physical therapy etc... before having surgery on Sep. 3, 2008. He (the ortho doctor who I didn't like, I know stupid of me to not listen to my instincts) did a tendon replacement and a heel cut. After three post - op I went to a friend's podiatrist (great guy).

I have had constant pain in my foot. Constant pain for almost 16 months. I still ice it and elevate etc.. PAIN all the time. I can't do things and limit my activity daily. I went to a convention for one day (on my feet) and I am stil in PAIN!!!

So my question to all you wise folks before I go back to my nice doctor and complain again, what are my options as I go forward?? I don't think I can handle being in a cast again. Not being able to drive does not work with my life at all. Any suggestions or should I suffer in silence?

Sorry for the long post and even more sorry if I have scared people to death. I know this is not normal

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2009, 10:23 AM   #2
(female)

SoCalGal09 HB User
Re: pttd - pain, post surgery - depressing (don't read if you are just starting)

You can't live in pain all your life. Find another doctor and, if you have to, redo the surgery. I know you don't want to be in a cast and the driving thing is bad, but really, what are your options? Stay in that much pain or deal with the recovery again? I'd take my chances on a successful surgery and not have the pain every day. Pain sucks and the recovery is only temporary.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2009, 08:56 AM   #3
(female)

mammymim HB User
Re: pttd - pain, post surgery - depressing (don't read if you are just starting)

I haven't had the surgery yet but will, just got diagnosed. The recovery doesn't sound like fun but there is light at the end of that tunnel. Wheras doing nothing will get you nowhere, meanwhile the rest of your health goes downhill. Go for it & good luck

Old 08-10-2009, 06:29 PM   #4
(female)

WorldWalker HB User

Imrich, I just had my second surgery. I had the first one on my left foot in Feb and my second one today on my right foot. I go to college and was originally intending on getting my life and limb back in order to snowboard and do other fun things this year, but the reality of living with pain for even another 10 months was something I couldn't do. I didn't want to cave halfway through that time and have it interfere with school as much as it did before. When I did wait for surgery for my study abroad to London just for four months it only got worse and even the Doctor's in London expressed that I needed surgery. You should sit down and get that second opinion and visualize what happens on these two different paths you will go by. You have tried hard to fix your pain, do what is best for you and I hope you can sort it out.

Closed Thread