It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
(male)

cfcarrasco HB User
Calcaneus Fracture

Hi. I'm new to the board. Had a very bad calcaneus fracture May 08 from car accident. No surgery but lost about 80% of the subtalar joint motion. Now I'm scheduling a subtalar fusion as removing bone that is pressed against tendons.

Recently I noticed pain in the bones on top of my foot. I think arthritis may be developing because the other bones are getting over compensated the lack of subtalar joint motion. My doctor was not sure. Has anyone else felt pain in this area after their calcaneus fracture or subtalar joint fusion?

Old 08-10-2009, 06:17 AM   #2
(male)

malldad HB User
Re: Calcaneus Fracture

Sorry to hear about your accident.

Chris

Last edited by moderator2; 08-10-2009 at 08:00 PM. Reason: do not solicit pm's - please read the posting rules

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2009, 12:26 PM   #3
(female)

patw27 HB User

Hi Cf,
I fractured my calcaneus Feb. 08, no operation. I have recently started to have pain in the bones on top of my foot too, not always just now and again and my toes sometimes feel as if they have cramp. Not sure what it is

Keep healing heelies

Pat

Old 08-11-2009, 12:45 PM   #4
(male)

movado HB User

I fractured both in a high impact skiing accident and can barely walk most of the time. I can stand for about 10 minutes and walk for about 5 minutes most of the time.

Yes you have arthritis in the sub talar joint and a fusion is the only correction from what I have been told.

My injury was pretty severe and it was about 18 months ago.

Good luck...
Miles

Old 08-12-2009, 12:45 AM   #5
(male)

cfcarrasco HB User

Pat

How is your subtalar joint? Did it get damaged? Do you still have side to side motion?

Old 08-12-2009, 05:26 PM   #6
(male)

welshkev HB User

i fractured mine in 2005 was in plaster for 10 months, had an an op and a pin and still get lots of pain with it, sometimes so much i have to sit down, not only does my heel and foot area hurt but it has also begun to cause uncomfortable all up my leg and to my lower back, im in a no win situation, if im on my feet for long periods i suffer with the pain, yet i find if im sat down for long periods say on a car journey, i also suffer with pain and have to get out and put weight on it to counter it, it has never felt the same since the accident, it still has a very strange sensation to it and the area around it, sometimes it feels like a dead weight hanging there, people think your jsut trying it on when you say your still in pain with they just dont understand this kind of injury, im only 28 now so what the hell does the future hold me and my strange leg, anybody else have any ongoing long term pain?

Old 08-21-2009, 11:33 AM   #7
(female)

DauntesMom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by patw27 View Post
Hi Cf,
I fractured my calcaneus Feb. 08, no operation. I have recently started to have pain in the bones on top of my foot too, not always just now and again and my toes sometimes feel as if they have cramp. Not sure what it is

Keep healing heelies

Pat
Hello All,
I too am experiencing the toe cramping. There is still swelling on the outer ankle and top foot. My year was Aug 14. Going for another mri next week The dr mentioned "chronic ankle sprain". Anyone.....

Stay positive and motivated
DauntesMom

Last edited by DauntesMom; 08-21-2009 at 11:34 AM. Reason: correct word

Old 08-21-2009, 10:17 PM   #8
(male)

cfcarrasco HB User

I don't know if I have toe cramp but since my gait has changed the pressure is more on my toes than on the balls on my feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntesMom View Post
Hello All,
I too am experiencing the toe cramping. There is still swelling on the outer ankle and top foot. My year was Aug 14. Going for another mri next week The dr mentioned "chronic ankle sprain". Anyone.....

Stay positive and motivated
DauntesMom

Old 08-28-2009, 12:48 AM   #9
(female)

grete97 HB User
Talking Re: Calcaneus Fracture

Hello
Im new here. Im female, 32 years, i have three kids (2 daughters who are 11 and 7 and 1 year 2 months old baby boy). I broke my calcaneus almoust 4 weeks ago falling from ladder to cement floor from 4 meters high. My heel was cruched between floor and ladder. Doctor made operation 3 days after accident and i have been in hard cast for three weeks already. I have five kirschner wires in my heel and i can see them when my wound is cleaned. They are going to pull the wires out when they remove the cast. At least i was told so. Has anyone gone through this? How are those wires pulled out?
I know that recovery will take time and its a long way but will I be able to wear high heels some day in the future? Just asking as if not then i have to get rid of almoust all of my footwear as i used to wear high heels a lot.
Another question is will my shoe size change bigger on hurt foot?
Sorry about mistakes as english is my third language.

Wish you all quick recovery!

Kristel

Old 02-22-2010, 07:53 AM   #10
(male)

CaSJ HB User

My name is Joddy Savard and in 2004 I fell 26 feet and I crushed the calcaneous really bad. They went in and put 3 plates and 7 screws to repair the break. As time went on I had substancial pain in the foot and the joint motions in particular were where I had the pain. It has been 5 weeks since my surgery and I still do not know if the surgery was the right thing to do, but I will keep postiong blogs and let all others know what is going on with it.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:58 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

I shattered calcaneous and talus 3/09. No surgery. Top is ok, but the sides and ankle can get bad. I am trying to be positive. Its not bad if I don't do much. Around the house or some walking is fine. But if I try to do more, it can get bad.

Last edited by Zerk; 02-22-2010 at 09:00 AM.

Closed Thread