It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2009, 08:14 AM   #1
(female)

tgl123 HB User
Question Question PTT surgery

First a little history. I am in my mid forties and have been extremely flat footed all my life. Wore corrective shoes till I was a teenager. I could stand to lose about 50 pounds. I started having problems about three years ago and have seen two doctors. I wear orthodics which helps for the most part except when I walk a great deal, such as a day of shopping or on vacation etc. I am receptionist so I sit 98% of the day. I am considering surgery simply because I am tired of always having to consider if it is worth the pain to spend a day shopping or doing something I want to do. I went shopping all day Saturday and spent all day Sunday on my feet cooking for my family and by last night night I was in tears. My question based on my history is:

1. Do you think this warrents surgery, how much pain were you having before you considered it?

2. How long were you off work?

3. How long was recovery and what did it entail?

4. How suceessful was your surgery and was it worth it to you?

Thank you for your help and input.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
(female)

Wounded Foot HB User
Re: Question PTT surgery

tgl123, seriously, the most important thing to do is find a good surgeon and I mean a good one. Only that person can give you a proper diagnosis and then, depending on that diagnosis, recommend a sound course of action. Everyone's surgery will be a bit different. For instance, I had a completely torn PTT, ruptured ligaments, and an increasingly deformed foot. Thus, I needed four surgical procedures at once (tendon transfer and ligament repair, heel bone cuts, bone graft from the bone bank, calf muscle cut, and achilles heel lengthening). If your tendon isn't totally torn, there might be something else that they can do for you). Bottom line, find a good doctor and getting a second opinion is always good. I'm thankful that I did because the first doctor automatically wanted to fuse my foot. The better surgeon wouldn't hear of it and said that he could do the above, instead, so that I'd retain full mobility, etc. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread