It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2009, 01:58 AM   #1
(female)

aimsterg HB User
Surgery for PTTD

Hi, all. I was glad to find this board and hoping you can help me.

I'm a 23-year-old female, and I'm having a posterior tibial tendon/FDL tendon transfer on Friday for PTTD. Given how little I can find on the procedure online, I was amazed to find so many people who've had the surgery on here.

I've been in a walking cast (CAM walker) for 15 weeks and was in an ankle brace before that. I have been in PT for 5 months, have orthotic inserts, tried iontophoresis, oral steroids, acupuncture, ultra sound, arthrostim, laser therapy, and some other treatments I can't even remember. I have no tear in my tendon, and my arch is fine, but the MRI does show abnormalities in the Posterior Tibial Tendon. Everyone (primary care doc, chiropractor, physical therapist, podiatrist, foot surgeon) agrees that it's time for surgery since conservative treatments have done nothing, and furthermore, over the past month the pain has been getting progressively worse.

The surgeon is going to do a posterior tibial/FDL tendon transfer. I will have no bone work during the surgery. I have no desire to have this surgery done except that it's my only option at this point (given I'm awake at 3:30am due to the pain, I'm very ready to have this fixed). I'm not looking forward to the recovery, and I'm looking for some feedback. The surgeon says I will be in a hard cast on crutches NWB for 6 weeks and a CAM walker for 6 weeks and will not be back to normal for 6-9 months (considering it's already been 6 months of treatment, I feel like I'm on the downswing already!).

I live alone. I have my brother coming to stay with me the day of the surgery and through the weekend. He leaves 3 days post-op. How much longer after that should I be with someone most of the time? I was thinking about staying with a friend at least through 1 week post-op just to be on the safe side. Is that a good idea? Is a week too long? Long enough? Also--this is horrible timing--I am moving to a new apartment 2 1/2 weeks post-op. I have help with the move itself, but it's still a pain. How mobile will I be 2 1/2 weeks post-op? Enough to supervise movers or will I need someone else to do that for me?

Also (again, bad timing), I start school 3 1/2 weeks post-op. I am a grad student, so I go to classes, I teach a class (lecture and lab--2 classes, 2 hours each), and I am in a practicum in which I see clients. What things should I consider when starting school? I plan on spending the first few weeks (at least) of teaching sitting down. Will I need to elevate my foot while I'm in class? Will I be able to get around on crutches (most of my classes are in the same building, I just have to leave the building for my practicum)? What about driving? I'm driving right now with a CAM walker on, but will the pressure be too much when I'm in the hard cast? If I can't drive, I'm not sure how I'll get to school, since it's a 1/4 mile walk to the bus and a 1/3 mile walk from the bus to my building.

Oh, also, I take care of kids part-time. I know I won't be back to taking care of infants until I'm off crutches, but what about older kids? How long until I'll be able to supervise kids I don't have to hold/carry?

I guess I'm just looking for some feedback. I'm extremely self-reliant, and it has been hard for me already to ask people for help. I can't imagine what it's going to be like by the end of this process. I'm also a very detail-oriented person and I feel like I'm getting mired down in all the little things that will be difficult given I live alone (e.g., carrying dinner from the kitchen to the table, showering, carrying the mail from the mailbox to my apt, grocery shopping, getting to appointments post-surgery, navigating the 1/2 flight of stairs I have to go down to get to my apartment, buying books for school, etc, etc, etc). It's getting very overwhelming already and I still have 3 days until I even have surgery.

Thank you in advance for you help.
Aimster

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User
Re: Surgery for PTTD

First of all, welcome to the Foot Board. You've asked a lot of questions so I don't know that I will be able to answer all of them but I'll offer what I can! Most on this board have had bone work done during their surgery, as I did. Having your heel bone cut off, slid over, and screwed back on greatly increases your level of pain and my doctor told me that bone work adds 2-3 weeks to every step of recovery. That being said, keep in mind that my experience will be somewhat different than what you will experience. Your age will definitely be on your side as well. I had to have my foot elevated (not just propped up, but toes ABOVE the nose) for the majority of the time the first month. I gradually started keeping it down more and more over the next couple of weeks in preparation for PT. I started PT at six weeks when I was put in the cam walker. I gradually started putting weight on the foot over the next several weeks, used one crutch until about week 10 and then a cane as needed until about 3 months post op.

I quickly found that I needed a wheelchair in order to become more independent around the house. Several on here have used knee walkers but I didn't. With the wheelchair (I had one with the elevated leg, which was necessary at first) I could do things like unload the dishwasher, fold and put up laundry, blow dry my hair, etc. I even vacuumed the house pushing it around with one foot. I personally found crutches to be cumbersome and limiting as it was difficult to carry things.

Some essentials: a shower chair, (a handheld shower attachment is helpful), elevated toilet seat with arms, cordless or cell phone, lots of pillows to elevate with. Depending on how accessible your kitchen will be some have used a small mini refrigerator next to their bed for ease in getting food and drinks to take meds with for the first week or so. It may be advisable to stay with someone for a while as you suggested, however, I know of someone who had this surgery who lives alone and she managed just fine.

Personally I could not have gone to work or school at 3-4 weeks. It was impossible for me to keep my foot down very long at that point but everyone is different and I did have a heel slide. My doctor told me my recovery would be a year + and he was right on target. I ended up tearing my peroneal tendons during recovery though so it's hard for me to say what it would have been had that not happened. But the PTT area was not painful at all by the year mark so I'm basing my opinion on that.

Since you are a "planner" I would go ahead and make arrangements for help with transportation in case you can't drive. If it is your right foot I don't see you being able to drive for a while post-op, but, again, everyone is different. Best of luck to you. If I can be of any further help don't hesitate to ask.

emmie

Last edited by emmie54; 08-11-2009 at 03:05 PM.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:56 PM   #3
(female)

WorldWalker HB User

I returned to school with my first surgery in Feb 2 weeks after. I had my recent surgery on Monday and I'm moving in Sept. Have no clue on how that'll turn out. I did find myself elevating my foot a lot in class and my doc guessed my return to watching kids was 3 months post op. Call your school's disability services and see what they can offer you.
It really can be overwhelming and difficult to adapt at first when you have school to juggle. Try to map things out mentally ahead of time in regards to doors and times and see how the first 3 weeks treat you. I know you asked a lot so there are some things I missed. I'm 21 and I had a lot more done so maybe the no bone work will be good for you.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:20 AM   #4
(female)

SoCalGal09 HB User

Okay, can I just say here, you young folks are just amazing!

Surgery, school, watching kids. Geez. I could barely remember my name at a month and look at all you'll be doing!

Emmie covered a lot of what you'll need at home, also ask your doctor if you can get a handicap placard. I would suggest getting it now, before the surgery since you need to go to the DMV to get it.

I would also suggest getting a knee walker or a wheelchair for class. You might feel silly in it, but it will be so much easier than trying to teach with crutches and navigaing stairs is no fun on crutches. My doctor wouldn't let me do stairs for over a month. But I had a lot of bone work done, so everyone is different. Oh, and he wouldn't let me drive for a month either. I couldn't put any pressure on my foot, not even resting it on the floor of the car. Oh, man, how did I survive those days???

I would have your brother stay with you, then see how you feel. I was fortunate to have my husband and son with me to help, otherwise it would have been difficult. Trying to balance a sandwich with crutches is not easy. Heck, nothing is easy with crutches. I used a knee walker for a few weeks and it really made things more accessible, etc. But they are expensive to rent ($50 a week here, cheaper other places) and my insurance wouldn't pay. The wheelchair is about $50 a month a I think, so better deal there. I wish I'd gotten a wheelchair for the house.

I'm glad Worldwalker posted here - she's so similar to your situation! Good luck to you. Let us know if you need anything else, or have any other questions.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
(female)

aimsterg HB User

Two days left to go and I'm getting super-nervous.

I talked to a nurse and she said I get to pick my anesthesia: general, local, local with sedation, or a spinal block. Any suggestions?

Old 08-12-2009, 08:13 PM   #6
(female)

WorldWalker HB User

All of the above! I have no idea. I think general might be helpful, but I'm having trouble dealing with my pain now that the block is wearing off. I didn't realize knee scooters were so expensive to rent. Mine is 25 a month. This semester I'm not going to be afraid to take it to class. Unless it rains. If you have any questions to anticipate the school stuff, feel free to PM me or something specific.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:26 PM   #7
(female)

scrapscot HB User

Wow..you've got a lot on your plate!! I don't know what to tell you! I'm two weeks post surgery and just had the staples out today. Doc says still no weight bearing for 6 more weeks. I'm using a knee walker rather than crutches as I'm 60 years old. I took off work for the entire time (I work for the state and have plenty of leave) even though I just live across the street from my office. I'm not about to scoot on the walker to work.

You really need someone with you for the first 2 weeks, I would think. Bathing, washing your hair will be a problem for you. I honestly don't know how you can possibly go to classes, keep children and tend to yourself so soon after the surgery.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimsterg View Post
Hi, all. I was glad to find this board and hoping you can help me.

I'm a 23-year-old female, and I'm having a posterior tibial tendon/FDL tendon transfer on Friday for PTTD. Given how little I can find on the procedure online, I was amazed to find so many people who've had the surgery on here.

I've been in a walking cast (CAM walker) for 15 weeks and was in an ankle brace before that. I have been in PT for 5 months, have orthotic inserts, tried iontophoresis, oral steroids, acupuncture, ultra sound, arthrostim, laser therapy, and some other treatments I can't even remember. I have no tear in my tendon, and my arch is fine, but the MRI does show abnormalities in the Posterior Tibial Tendon. Everyone (primary care doc, chiropractor, physical therapist, podiatrist, foot surgeon) agrees that it's time for surgery since conservative treatments have done nothing, and furthermore, over the past month the pain has been getting progressively worse.

The surgeon is going to do a posterior tibial/FDL tendon transfer. I will have no bone work during the surgery. I have no desire to have this surgery done except that it's my only option at this point (given I'm awake at 3:30am due to the pain, I'm very ready to have this fixed). I'm not looking forward to the recovery, and I'm looking for some feedback. The surgeon says I will be in a hard cast on crutches NWB for 6 weeks and a CAM walker for 6 weeks and will not be back to normal for 6-9 months (considering it's already been 6 months of treatment, I feel like I'm on the downswing already!).

I live alone. I have my brother coming to stay with me the day of the surgery and through the weekend. He leaves 3 days post-op. How much longer after that should I be with someone most of the time? I was thinking about staying with a friend at least through 1 week post-op just to be on the safe side. Is that a good idea? Is a week too long? Long enough? Also--this is horrible timing--I am moving to a new apartment 2 1/2 weeks post-op. I have help with the move itself, but it's still a pain. How mobile will I be 2 1/2 weeks post-op? Enough to supervise movers or will I need someone else to do that for me?

Also (again, bad timing), I start school 3 1/2 weeks post-op. I am a grad student, so I go to classes, I teach a class (lecture and lab--2 classes, 2 hours each), and I am in a practicum in which I see clients. What things should I consider when starting school? I plan on spending the first few weeks (at least) of teaching sitting down. Will I need to elevate my foot while I'm in class? Will I be able to get around on crutches (most of my classes are in the same building, I just have to leave the building for my practicum)? What about driving? I'm driving right now with a CAM walker on, but will the pressure be too much when I'm in the hard cast? If I can't drive, I'm not sure how I'll get to school, since it's a 1/4 mile walk to the bus and a 1/3 mile walk from the bus to my building.

Oh, also, I take care of kids part-time. I know I won't be back to taking care of infants until I'm off crutches, but what about older kids? How long until I'll be able to supervise kids I don't have to hold/carry?

I guess I'm just looking for some feedback. I'm extremely self-reliant, and it has been hard for me already to ask people for help. I can't imagine what it's going to be like by the end of this process. I'm also a very detail-oriented person and I feel like I'm getting mired down in all the little things that will be difficult given I live alone (e.g., carrying dinner from the kitchen to the table, showering, carrying the mail from the mailbox to my apt, grocery shopping, getting to appointments post-surgery, navigating the 1/2 flight of stairs I have to go down to get to my apartment, buying books for school, etc, etc, etc). It's getting very overwhelming already and I still have 3 days until I even have surgery.

Thank you in advance for you help.
Aimster

Closed Thread